Dangerous Driving By A Firefighter

RockHead

wow I really didnt see anything wrong with that at all. Next time you guys are caught in a burning car I hope the fire truck drives "the safe way" so that they dont piss the internets off.

As for me I want that guy bobbing and weaving to get to me ASAP

Once again, you and some others did not hear the entire story. There were already two others trucks on scene when this guy was doing this. And most of us that have replied negatively to this drivers actions, are firefighters, including myself. I am not trying to pick a fight or be negative, just wanted to restate some additional facts.

Rob

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, you and some others did not hear the entire story. There were already two others trucks on scene when this guy was doing this. And most of us that have replied negatively to this drivers actions, are firefighters, including myself. I am not trying to pick a fight or be negative, just wanted to restate some additional facts.

Rob

Bottom line IMO...I could care less if there were already 100 trucks there...if it was my wife or kid burning in the back seat I would want EVERY/ ANY one who could help. I would want the National Fricken Guard, FBI, hell call the Navy Seals. Call the president himself!!!

I must say the exact people I thought we relyed on are the people who seem the be rasing hell with this. You guys realize you are complaining about someone who is risking their lives to save other people?

I don't want to get into the whole "yeah but driving like that could endanger someone elses' life" BS. If thats what you want to do I'll make sure when you are in an emergency situatiuon I will obey all traffic laws and never speed. No right on Red? No problem, I'll wait cuz after all you won't mind waiting for me to show up with a broken femer in a burning car flipped over. Hell I might stop off for a dounut.

I'm not sayiing the guy is Mario f'ing Andretti but dam. I know for the people making a big deal about this if it was your situation somehow relating to you or your family you'd be singing a different tune.

That guy was really wheeling that thing though... :D

Edited by W2W402 (see edit history)

Bottom line IMO...I could care less if there were already 100 trucks there...if it was my wife or kid burning in the back seat I would want EVERY/ ANY one who could help. I would want the National Fricken Guard, FBI, hell call the Navy Seals. Call the president himself!!!

I must say the exact people I thought we relyed on are the people who seem the be rasing hell with this. You guys realize you are complaining about someone who is risking their lives to save other people?

I don't want to get into the whole "yeah but driving like that could endanger someone elses' life" BS. If thats what you want to do I'll make sure when you are in an emergency situatiuon I will obey all traffic laws and never speed. No right on Red? No problem, I'll wait cuz after all you won't mind waiting for me to show up with a broken femer in a burning car flipped over. Hell I might stop off for a dounut.

I'm not sayiing the guy is Mario f'ing Andretti but dam. I know for the people making a big deal about this if it was your situation somehow relating to you or your family you'd be singing a different tune.

Another FYI. This unit was already informed that there was no one in the vehicle. The point is we take big risks if there can be big gains (i.e saving a life, etc). If there is nothing to be gained (like a burning car with no one trapped or in danger, and a fire under control already) then why take unnecessary risks. Of course if there was someone trapped, or in danger, then the situation becomes slightly different. Everything that we do as first responders is taking a risk, determining how big of a risk to take is decided by how much there is to gain.

In addition, driving a big red truck with flashing lights, does not mean that you can do anything that you want and break any traffic law. Believe it or not even in an emergency situation where there is a life endanger, emergency vehicles have their own set of traffic laws. We can not blow through a stop sign or light (must slow down enough to come to a complete stop if needed, and proceed through only if it is safe), we can not pass a school bus with there stop sign out, etc. We can speed ( I believe the limit is up to 15mph over the speed limit, if it can be done safely, and while maintaining full control of the rig), and proceed down one way streets, etc. The point of all this is that driving an emergency DOES NOT give the driver the right whatever the heck he wants.

And if you think that you can not depend on the people who are willing to get up at 3 o'clock in the morning and fight a fire in -20 degree weather soaking wet and frozen to try and save the last remnants of your home, while their brothers and sisters collapse around them, then I have lost a lot of faith in the general public.

Rob

Former 2nd Fire Lieutenant/EMT Morrisville Fired Dept

Current Firefighter/EMT Harmony Corners Fire Dept

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/publ...ions/fa-255.pdf

well said delay18(Rob) :cheers:

We as Drivers have alot of things going on at the same time driving the rig . I will be no help at all if im in a Crash or anything like that ......... W2W402 are you a FF,EMT or a Cop?

What do you mean "thought we relied on"? Let me tell you, whether it's 2 weeks from now or 5 years from now, i'll still be getting on that truck and responding to my neighbors calls for help. I do the best job possible for FREE, that's right FREE. I don't get a damn paycheck, if it takes me 3:49 to respond to an emergency in a reckless maner , or 4:03 to respond safely, what the hell is the difference? We are making a stink over this because we are responsible first responders, not maniacs who drive by the edge of their seat taking big risks with every turn, endangering the public.

You have no clue how much responsibility there is when driving a piece of fire apparatus. Not only are you responsible for your crew's safe response, you are responsible for the safety of other motorists, you are responsible for getting to the alarm in a timely fashion, as well as the responsibility of keeping the apparatus in one piece. Add to this.....pedestrians, oblivious drivers, traffic, school zones, radios, sirens, other apparatus, people yelling, inclement weather, adrenaline, etc., things can get crazy rather quickly. All it takes is a fraction of a second to get out of your groove with all of these distractions, and when you do...CRASH! It gets ugly real fast......

To say "cuz after all you won't mind waiting for me" is :icon_bs: You actually believe thats what we do? WRONG, and it's a slap in the face. If that were the case, I would just stay home when my pager activates.....

Unless you have jumped on that truck, responded to the call, and did the job that we do, then you are in no position to judge us, period.

:rant:

guys i see no good coming from this post anymore...the truth is all of us want you to be there when we are in trouble and seconds count, and the flip side is if you hurt one of our love ones getting there a second faster we would blame you. Its the same love/hate relashionship officers have with the public. We love them when they stop a guy from killing our wifes but hate them when they give us a ticket. It is a sh&*y part of our society. I hope all the firefighters in here understand this and i hope everyone else can agree to disagree. My best to all firefighters and officers faced with split second decisions everyday.

Brad