Poor handling/stance with mild load in bed...

marc_w

Yesterday I loaded up my dirtbike and all my crap, and took a good ride across the state. I probably had about 300lbs in the bed.

I couldn't help but notice a few things during the few times that I stopped.

1: The front of the truck seemed to rise excessively from the weight in the back. The rear sagged, but it wasn't that much. The front was more noticeable.

The front to rear level was still slightly raked to the front in my driveway... but twice while stopped out on the road, I noticed the front was definitely higher than the rear.

2: The parking area of the riding spot was quite uneven. One of the rear wheels had no problem tucking up in the wheelwell, while the opposite corner front wheel was actually sitting higher than stock. The ground was "level", but it had a lot of bumps and ruts.

I looked underneath, and the rear wheel was still not even on it's bump stop. The helper spring didn't look like it was doing much. (those pads weren't heavily touching) The front wheel was just off it's bump stop.

3: Driving... the front end rode nice and soft, but was unsure as to which way the camber of the road was. The truck would lean any old way it wanted to.

Anyone else noticing stuff like this?

All this stuff has me stressed out - What's going to happen when I put a "real" load in the back, or hook up to 300lbs of tongue weight?

I'm wondering if air-bag helpers will actually do anything.

Loaded my SS w/ about 500lbs of luggage and the stance was just as you described it. Driving at night in Mexico several oncoming cars flashed their high beams. We stopped and had to rearrange the load so that the heavy stuff went up front. And yes the ride was hairy.

I've had right at a ton of tile in the back of mine and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Actually rode very well. They do make helper springs that are only around $250. They are designed to keep the rear level under load.

I just moved from Brunswick, ME to Jacksonville, FL and did notice the squat, but didnt really notice in bad changes in ride characteristics. I did take the bumps a little smoother though and my fiancee couldnt drive in front of me at night because of the head lights, I had probably around a thousand pounds in the truck, including the tonneau cover.

From time to time, I pull a trailer with a fair amount of tongue weight (certainly 300+ lbs) and have had no problems.

Then again, I provide a substantial ballast in the front seat. :D

Everyones passing on this one? BS! Here goes nutin':

So Exactly how much does your tounge weigh?

or...

Is that where you keep the little lady? :eek::jester::jester:

Just kiddin big guy! Please don't kill me :D

Thanks guys.

I TOTALLY forgot I have some brand new 2.5" wide Pro Comp helper leafs from "two trucks ago". They should fit the SS. I'd rather go with an adjustable setup, but if I have to........

I started dorking with the torsion bars again. I'm really disappointed with the handling of the truck w/o a load in it, so I don't really mind going through this whole hoopla again.

I pulled a few cranks out of the bolts to drop the front a bit. Gotta try to level the ride side to side better, and go get funny looks at the dealer for needing an alignment *again*.

I got a little race on Sunday, so I'll see how things sit for this trip.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident I can tune it out with t-bar tweaks.

The truck did pretty good on a 400 mile ride this weekend, except for when fuel was low. The toe felt like it was off and the truck was a little squirrely. (the front rises when fuel is low, and sinks when it's full)

Using my vast knowledge and superior powers I have ascertained that a six pack of corona offsets the weight of 1.3 gallons of premium unleaded gasoline. Therefore, if you stop at every one of the potential stops on your journeys, and purchase a six pack or two, you should be able to offset the weight distribution by replacing the ballast with beer. Comes in handy when you stop at friends houses too! And you get a beautifully level ride!

Reply if you need a map to my house

:jester:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived