Clunk Noise

Torsion bar bushings. I have had a clunking noise under my feet as well. i did a lot of new parts in the front end last month and still have it. So yesterday I was under neath doing the oil change and I grab my torsion bar and that thing was moving up and down. I thought bingo now I need to get me some new bushings. Try that out. GL

I've had that problem with my intermediate shaft. It will make clunking while going straight...or at least it did on my truck. Simple fix that the dealer would charge a lot for. Un-bolt shaft either at sector or in the middle and slide it towards the steering wheel. It will push the heavy grease back up that has slid down due to vibration and gravity and you'll be good for another 20,000 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Still there despite my best steering shaft stroke, fluid changes, and bushing/ball joint lubing. No there is some squealing/squeaking involved but everything is still intermittent. Is it my wheel bearings? Any ideas, please.

Well, the final verdict is in...my front diff is toast. Found huge chunks of metal when I did a flush of it today and it is still clunk, clunk, clunking away. So I am done racing until I can get her fixed or off load my problem on someone else.

Question...has anyone changed their front diff themselves? Is it difficult? Is it something I could do in my garage?

Well, the final verdict is in...my front diff is toast. Found huge chunks of metal when I did a flush of it today and it is still clunk, clunk, clunking away. So I am done racing until I can get her fixed or off load my problem on someone else.

Question...has anyone changed their front diff themselves? Is it difficult? Is it something I could do in my garage?

Easy enough to do, you unbolt the front u-joint, undo the 1/2-shafts, undo the arm on the steering center-link so you can push it forward and get a couple inches more room, then undo the 4 bolts holding the carrier in the truck and drop it out. Sorry to hear about the damage. :(

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)