Transmission Temperature

I was driving around town the other day with a load in the truck, a lot of stop and go traffic. It was about 90 degrees outside. My transmission temps got up to about 210 or slightly higher. I have not had any problems with my trans. but I know 210 is too high. Converter is 2600 stall. I don't really want to buy an aftermarket cooler, money is a little tight right now.

Did having the load in the truck make it heat up this much. The temps usually stay under 200 if I have been doing a lot of driving. Are temps like that going to create a problem on a built transmission. I did a search and didn't really find a good answer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much load we talking about here? and a bigger trans cooler is a must to keep your trans temps in line

Load was 400-500 pounds and I hit every red light, a lot of stop and go. Were should my temps be at. This is the first time I have noticed them above 200.

I think you are ok at 210 for a short period of time. As for the upgraded trans cooler, they are relatively cheap and easy to install so I wouldn't delay too long on that unless money is really tight.

Load was 400-500 pounds and I hit every red light, a lot of stop and go. Were should my temps be at. This is the first time I have noticed them above 200.

hmm thats not enough to create load on your truck.. its like having 2-3 passangers in your truck.. on stock trucks they stay around 200*

Mine dont get over 165 unless I'm towing a boat. I have a built trans, upgraded cooler, electric fans, and a radix. You really need an upgraded trans cooler. They are only $50.

You got a part # or brand you suggest.

You got a part # or brand you suggest.

TruCool Max 40k, part number 47391.......it is the best cooler for the money IMO, around $118 for the kit complete with brackets, clamps, and hose. Remember, heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions, and with any size stall, a larger cooler is a must to keep temps controlled.

Payload had nothing to do with it - what killed you was the stop & go driving and not enough fan to pull air through that stack of radiators. I've seen & corrected this before several times, you are suffering from a combination of problems typical to the Radix trucks with heat exchanger mounted in the Magnusson-designed location - with this configuration, the trucks will not cool at all in stop-and-go traffic. The biggest problem is that if you take a tape measure and gauge the total thickness of all cooling cores it's more than 6" thick (!) and no fan in the world (including the mechanical clutch fan) is going to pull enough air through that stack of radiators strong enough to cool them off, there's just too much pressure drop (airflow resistance). Also, the heat from the Radix heat exchanger pre-heats the cooling air for the transmission, A/C, and engine radiator - the Radix heat just 'cascades' to the downstream radiators. The end result is that you get a run-away heat condition when weather temps exceed 90 and you have repeated stop-and-go and don't have the truck above 45+ mph for any length of time to allow the wind rush to cool that stack of radiators.

Relocate that heat exchanger down low, behind the front bumper ($30); that alone will immediately cut 20-degrees off your normal ATF temps, and your A/C will be colder in the cab too. I made a post on this last week with a sketch...

With a 2600-RPM converter get a bar & plate type transmission cooler at least 12" x 12" x 1" - Hayden makes one that you should be able to find locally, or you can get a TruCool. As Dan (Fireman31) said, the TCMax is awesome and in SoCal I would *highly* recommend you install one. You want the trans temps 155-165.

Mr. P. :)

I don't mean to hijack this post but its gotten me thinking.

I've noticed my tranny temps rise recently as well with no load. I'm running bone stock. I havent paid attention to exactly how high the temps have gotten in stop and go traffic but I know it hasnt been above 200. Is it a good idea to do a larger trans cooler even on stock trucks? It's not my DD but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by my truck.

I don't mean to hijack this post but its gotten me thinking.

I've noticed my tranny temps rise recently as well with no load. I'm running bone stock. I havent paid attention to exactly how high the temps have gotten in stop and go traffic but I know it hasnt been above 200. Is it a good idea to do a larger trans cooler even on stock trucks? It's not my DD but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by my truck.

yes... your trans fluid is the heart of your transmission and heat is what kills it

Payload had nothing to do with it - what killed you was the stop & go driving and not enough fan to pull air through that stack of radiators. I've seen & corrected this before several times, you are suffering from a combination of problems typical to the Radix trucks with heat exchanger mounted in the Magnusson-designed location - with this configuration, the trucks will not cool at all in stop-and-go traffic. The biggest problem is that if you take a tape measure and gauge the total thickness of all cooling cores it's more than 6" thick (!) and no fan in the world (including the mechanical clutch fan) is going to pull enough air through that stack of radiators strong enough to cool them off, there's just too much pressure drop (airflow resistance). Also, the heat from the Radix heat exchanger pre-heats the cooling air for the transmission, A/C, and engine radiator - the Radix heat just 'cascades' to the downstream radiators. The end result is that you get a run-away heat condition when weather temps exceed 90 and you have repeated stop-and-go and don't have the truck above 45+ mph for any length of time to allow the wind rush to cool that stack of radiators.

Relocate that heat exchanger down low, behind the front bumper ($30); that alone will immediately cut 20-degrees off your normal ATF temps, and your A/C will be colder in the cab too. I made a post on this last week with a sketch...

With a 2600-RPM converter get a bar & plate type transmission cooler at least 12" x 12" x 1" - Hayden makes one that you should be able to find locally, or you can get a TruCool. As Dan (Fireman31) said, the TCMax is awesome and in SoCal I would *highly* recommend you install one. You want the trans temps 155-165.

Mr. P. :)

Thank you Mr. P. I will start by moving the heat exchanger like you said and see how it does. I read some of your old posts and they were very helpful. You give a lot to this forum and it's appreciated...