Transmission Temperature

The bypass is a thermostat - if you install it, your ATF will never be below 180-degrees; that's too hot for me and I would run without it. The thermostat is a great idea, but the one included with the TCMax is too hot. In the northern states in the winter if you cannot get the ATF temps up enough then cover a piece of the cooler with a bit of tin to bring the temp up, or get the 12" x 12" x 1" cooler - in the southern states it is warm enough to run the TCMax open all year round.

Mr. P.

I ran my TruCool Max last winter up hear in the Northeast without a thermal bypass or sheilding.....even with subzero temps, the trans temp hovered between 90-120 degrees while driving. With the extended idle time during the winter, she often saw temps as high as 150 too.....

Thanks for the tips Dan and Steve. I've got get me one when I get working again. Here in Vegas, its been getting into the 100's, 106 the other day, and my temp got up to 200*, but never went past that. Plus I smelled just a hint of clutch burning. I was in stop and go traffic as well, but with no load. I checked the fluid, and it seemed ok with no burnt smell or discoloration. Does the tune have anything to do with it? Not saying I have a bad tune, cause I love my tune. Just wondering if it makes run higher.

Terry, I have a little trick that I use when I am sitting dead in traffic on a warm day, or after a run down the strip. If my transmission gets over 175*, I kick the AC on low. When you turn the AC on, it kicks on one of the two factory e-fans on our trucks, drawing air through the cooler and radiator helping cool the transmission down. After a couple hard runs down the strip and temps close to 180*, if I kick my AC on for 5 minutes, my trans temps will drop anywhere from 20-40 degrees, depending on ambient temperature of course.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic