Is It Possible?

brobradh77

I have seen and heard and uprise in oil pump failures..my self included ofcourse..and It seems here in my town we use shell..SO here is the odd question...A few months ago they switched to adding some Nitrogen additive to "clean" your engine and helkp it run cleaner..Could this have actually cleaned up something causing a partical big enough to clog my/our pumps to break off? Just a long shot question but was curious.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost exclusively use Shell gas, and I have about 56000 miles on the truck. I don't and haven't had an issue. I doubt that if you're using the premium blend that it could have caused a problem.

Die hard Shell V-Power 93 fan, but havent been driving my truck since november. I do pull her out of storage twice a week and let her idle for awhile with and then a few small revs with no issues so far. I will be honest, I go by my shell station alot and I have noticed less people going there and more to CF :wtf: .

I know this doesnt answer your question, but no pump failure here yet.

edit-Been using shell 93 since i bought her w/ 33,332 miles and now have 64,xxx

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)

Thats odd... with the SSS and the TBSS I've occasionally been forced to fill up at shell stations b/c there wasn't anything closer... like clockwork each time (in both vehicles) I got knocking and pinging. My dad has had the same problem in his vette... we both now flat out refuse to buy gas from the shell stations around here... Hes exclusively Chevron w/ Techron and I run Mobil 91 exclusively. Its happened far too many times over the past few years to be coincidence.

I didnt know for sure..I was just trying to find a cause..On other boards Gm techs have said in recent months they have seen an increase in the pumps goping out and knew where I always got gas and that they added addditives..Just trying not to repeat the past.

Charlie...What is your experience with the 10% ethanol blends and closed loop fueling? Do you adjust to compensate for the lower STOICH value (E10 has a STOICH of 14.13 and 'normal" gas has a 14.7) or do anything differently? I assume an adjustment to the Ve and MAF tables to compensate would work fine and is the best approach however is a xx% fuel swing due to the ethanol blends worth chasing? I do my best to fill up with non-ethanol fuels (since ALL of my tuning was done on standard gas) however they are getting hard to come by lately.

Reason I am concerned is that I have now disabled my LTFT's and rely on my STFT's for any "automatic" adjustments in my closed loop fueling. OL, I keep an eye on the wideband. Should I worry about this swing or am I just being overcautious?

I almost exclusively use Shell gas, and I have about 56000 miles on the truck. I don't and haven't had an issue. I doubt that if you're using the premium blend that it could have caused a problem.

well u are kinda wasting your money the nitrogen the put in it now makes it burn quicker losing almost 2 mpg