Is It Possible?

brobradh77

well u are kinda wasting your money the nitrogen the put in it now makes it burn quicker losing almost 2 mpg

I'd rather use Shell than drive 10 miles to the nearest Sunoco. The other stations around my area either are no-name brands that I don't trust, or more expensive than Shell. Lose either way.

EDIT: I prefer to use Shell or Sunoco. Sunoco is just not around the corner. I'll go there if I am in the area. My statement might have been misleading.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I exclusively use Sunoco Ultra 93 and have had no issues with it. If I cannot find a Sunoco station, I will stop at a Hess or Shell station as a last resort.

Brad, I agree with the others, the brand of gas you use had nothing to do with your oil pump failure.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Thats odd... with the SSS and the TBSS I've occasionally been forced to fill up at shell stations b/c there wasn't anything closer... like clockwork each time (in both vehicles) I got knocking and pinging. My dad has had the same problem in his vette... we both now flat out refuse to buy gas from the shell stations around here... Hes exclusively Chevron w/ Techron and I run Mobil 91 exclusively. Its happened far too many times over the past few years to be coincidence.

Dylan, could you tell a difference in the way the trucks ran when you experienced this? Just wondering, cause I've been using Shell since I got my truck tuned. :confused:

I have never been a fan of Shell gas. For one, around here, it's usually more expensive. And two, years ago I read an article where they did an octane comparison on a few different brands (Shell was one of them) and they actually had LESS than the minimum rating. 99% of the time I run Chevron 91 (wish I could get 93), but there has been once when I was in BFE and had to use safeway gas, and the truck didn't run nearly as well. The idle was rough and the acceleration just didn't seem the same.

well Ive been using shell and keep hearing you guys talking about chevron with techron but we dont have a chevron around here but we do have a texaco with techron so im assuming its the same company just diferent name or what?

This all new to me, up here in VT all gas comes from the same place, there is only two distributors in VT, S.B. Collins and Champlain Oil. So up here you are getting the same exact gas from a Mobil as you would from a Shell, Texaco, Citgo, etc. Its not like that everywhere else?

i know shell and chevron are on GMs list of approved top tier fuels to use. not many chevrons here in the northeast, so shell is the best option for us. its hard to say what affect these additives have on a motor, the idea is to prevent carbon deposits on valve stems and pistons, and allegedly help with lean misfires that GM had such a prob with. i've used a lucas fuel additive about once a month since new, and the idle quality in my truck is better than almost all the 6.0 k trucks that i service. i agree with the other guys, i wasnt the cause of your op failure.

edit: keep in mind too, who knows whats lurking in a gas stations in ground tanks, water, sediment, i'm sure all kinds of crap. so it may not nessacarily be the brand of fuel, but also the station itself.

Edited by gmperformanceguy (see edit history)

True,but if they have a veeder-root alarms will sound if there is any water int he ground.Not all store have a veeder-root as they are very expensive.when fuel is dropped int he ground there is a pipe that fills the tank from the bottom up,that way it does not stir anything up while to tanks are filled int he ground.It is pretty neat how they are designed

All tank now adays are fiberglass,nbot steel like in the 70's

i know shell and chevron are on GMs list of approved top tier fuels to use. not many chevrons here in the northeast, so shell is the best option for us. its hard to say what affect these additives have on a motor, the idea is to prevent carbon deposits on valve stems and pistons, and allegedly help with lean misfires that GM had such a prob with. i've used a lucas fuel additive about once a month since new, and the idle quality in my truck is better than almost all the 6.0 k trucks that i service. i agree with the other guys, i wasnt the cause of your op failure.

edit: keep in mind too, who knows whats lurking in a gas stations in ground tanks, water, sediment, i'm sure all kinds of crap. so it may not nessacarily be the brand of fuel, but also the station itself.

Shell is the best we have around here..other than one or two exon stations other than that its Vallero....I will NEVER buy Sams club gas again...it makes my truck run like ass and it wont fire up in the morning.

This all new to me, up here in VT all gas comes from the same place, there is only two distributors in VT, S.B. Collins and Champlain Oil. So up here you are getting the same exact gas from a Mobil as you would from a Shell, Texaco, Citgo, etc. Its not like that everywhere else?

Anyone know the answer to this question? In Florida I often see Eagle trucks filling multiple stations. I too am a 1.Shell 2.Chevron 3. HESS 4.BP guy but I wonder what is the difference if I see the same truck at all the stations. I mise well buy gas and add techron additive???

Edited by rwoodards (see edit history)

Sunoco 94 all over here in Michigan. Occassionally I'll go for the 93 Sunoco just because many stations sell the 94 for .10cents more than 93, some only charge a nickel more for 94 over 93 though. Most of the time I just get the 94 though and I have been very happy with the performance. Somtimes I have to settle for Shell or Mobil 93. The gas stations here in Michigan have gone through so many name changes, its actually really hard for me to keep up with them. Many of the Amaco's became BP's, then these Valero's started popping up all over...then poof...BP's disappeared and are far and few between. I've seen numerous Sunoco's disappear as well. One month I'll be by that area and count on the Sunoco being there, then the next month its closed. One gas station down the road changed their sign 4 times in the last year and a half then closed. Might have something to do with business or franchise agreements as well, I'm not sure how all that works for gas stations though. I know they dont make much off their gas sales, maybe a nickel or so a gallon. I've been told their bread and butter is convenience sales or having repair facilities attached. I dont know how some of these little hole in the walls make it then.

I usually get my gas from BP or Kroger anymore. Shell charges more around here for 93 so I don't use them. I saw one today that had a $0.20 difference in grades. 87 was $2.43, 89 was $2.63 and 93 was $2.83. That shit really pisses me off when all other stations only go up $0.10 per grade. The shell close to my house has a $0.12 difference in grades. bunch of BS :mad: