Shorty Header Gaskets?

LilEz02

hey guys. i got a 4.8l in my truck and and just had a set of pacesetter shortys installed. i was wondering what gaskets to run on the driver side where it bolts to the cats. i put in a stock one that looked like a small ring that crushes when tightened and a paper gasket that came with them. 20 minutes later i could here a small leak. i put in another brand new one thinking the paper one was the problem but i got the same thing in the same spot. :banghead: i was wondering if any1 is running something similar and couldlead mein the right direction. thanks guys.

hey guys. i got a 4.8l in my truck and and just had a set of pacesetter shortys installed. i was wondering what gaskets to run on the driver side where it bolts to the cats. i put in a stock one that looked like a small ring that crushes when tightened and a paper gasket that came with them. 20 minutes later i could here a small leak. i put in another brand new one thinking the paper one was the problem but i got the same thing in the same spot. :banghead: i was wondering if any1 is running something similar and couldlead mein the right direction. thanks guys.

On my Edelbrock shorties it also came with that "crush ring" instinct told me don't use it. I just bolted mine on metal to metal using a breaker bar to tighten until I pushed so hard I smashed my knuckles lol. I have no leaks whatsoever. I did notice that local auto parts stores carry the gasket that you need. Another thing I noticed is since the ring doesn't have a groove to slip into as I tested it I noticed it didn't line up, hard to describe but maybe the ring is off centered at the pipe connection thus creating a leak out the side cuz it's too far to one side. IDK if this helps but hope so and good luck. Hope I made sense.

post-9089-1244302394_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1244303497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

well i pulled the y pipe down and removed the bad crush ring. cleaned the header and y pipe and bold as tight as possible with new hardware metal to metal. same problem. i notied the pic you posted Bad aSS Silvy and is that a metal gasket and where could i find one. it looks close enough that it would work. thats really my last option. could the bottom flange be warped or something from pacesetter welding them together. i know they aint the best header company around. any help from anyone would be 100% helpful at this point. you can only hear it at idle and under 2k rpm.

I had this happen with my JBA shortys on the passenger side only I could never get the leak to go away after a year of trying everything except welding it together I bought OBX longtubes with high flow cats. To be dead honest I wish I went with longtubes in the begining, would of saved a ton of money and time. Also shortys did not give me any performance gains just sounded alittle better.

yea i like the sound with the gibson dumped. the leaks driving me crazy though. did you have a donut in the pass side? i heard dgiepss 03 sss with dynatech long tubes and flowmaster 2 chamber 40 series and WOW! that sounds like the ticket. long tubes sound amazing but i cant expect that sound from a 4.8. and that price :nonod:

well i pulled the y pipe down and removed the bad crush ring. cleaned the header and y pipe and bold as tight as possible with new hardware metal to metal. same problem. i notied the pic you posted Bad aSS Silvy and is that a metal gasket and where could i find one. it looks close enough that it would work. thats really my last option. could the bottom flange be warped or something from pacesetter welding them together. i know they aint the best header company around. any help from anyone would be 100% helpful at this point. you can only hear it at idle and under 2k rpm.

hey bud sorry for late reply just saw this, I have seen the gaskets at Auto Zone and Pep Boys. Also, I'd try like Black00chev says, that silicone might be the last option. Also, one ? did you double check your seal at the actual manifold, maybe iy's leakin there and confusin you where sound comin from....

yeah i double checked the manifold and i can put my hand around the collector and feel the air coming out. pass side is great and it has the donut so they dont even come close to setting flush. can i get a donut ring in the driver side? (not the little crush ring)i am trying to find the collector gasket in any kind of metal. a metal gasket i think will solve it. if not then ill try the copper gasket stuff or the rtv. just till next spring cause i think long tubes are coming if i cant get this taken care of. well thanks so much for all the help everyone, this really helps me out alot. you guys are awesome! :thumbs: