My Yank Converter Blows

UP :puke:

After reading some posts on ls1tech about other people having problems with their Yank Converters I can say I'm in the same boat. Mine Balloned and wiped out the the front pump shaft...front pump ect... last fall. The clutches and bands were in great shape showing no signs of giving up. I felt mine go though, stood on it and after hitting 3rd gear the rpms started going up and down erratically by a few hundred rpms. Drove it to the garage and sent the tranny back to FLP.

I haven't called Mike @ Yank but based on what I've read I guess my chances are pretty slim of getting it repaired under warranty. If I get around to calling I'll let you guys know what comes of it :wtf:

Chuck at FLP was nice enough to not say "I told ya so" but he's shipping a new converter back with the transmission.

Oh yea, I've got a PY3200E if someone is interested. Slightly used and sold in "AS IS CONDITION" :jester:

Hope to be up and running by May 15th...

UP :puke:

After reading some posts on ls1tech about other people having problems with their Yank Converters I can say I'm in the same boat. Mine Balloned and wiped out the the front pump shaft...front pump ect... last fall. The clutches and bands were in great shape showing no signs of giving up. I felt mine go though, stood on it and after hitting 3rd gear the rpms started going up and down erratically by a few hundred rpms. Drove it to the garage and sent the tranny back to FLP.

I haven't called Mike @ Yank but based on what I've read I guess my chances are pretty slim of getting it repaired under warranty. If I get around to calling I'll let you guys know what comes of it :wtf:

Chuck at FLP was nice enough to not say "I told ya so" but he's shipping a new converter back with the transmission.

Oh yea, I've got a PY3200E if someone is interested. Slightly used and sold in "AS IS CONDITION" :jester:

Hope to be up and running by May 15th...

Sorry to hear of your travails. That really sucks.

What converter is Chuck attaching to the tranny? Did he have suggestions? Did he just give you a stock TC?

I have to admit I am a bit leery of Yank. I am looking at PI as well (Vig) but still don't know what I'm going to do.

I got one of the Midwest converters that is half 9 in converter and half 12" converter (where the lock up clutches are).

So far so good even with heavy towing.

It does hit as hard as a Yank (have one in my 94 Impala SS) converter, but it did knock of 3 to 4 tenths on my truck.

Bryan

I got one of the Midwest converters that is half 9 in converter and half 12" converter (where the lock up clutches are).

So far so good even with heavy towing.

It does hit as hard as a Yank (have one in my 94 Impala SS) converter, but it did knock of 3 to 4 tenths on my truck.

Bryan

Do you have a link for Midwest...?

I didn't ask Chuck(FLP) what he was providing for a converter. He knows the set up I have and we talked about the 3400 Yank stalling/not stalling any where near 3400 ect.. I think we are stepping down to a 2600 as the motor has plenty of power and really doesn't need a high stall.

Also FWIW, I've had 3 Yank converters and this is the only one I've had an issue with. It should also be known that I haven't contacted Mike at Yank yet and every company has problems from time its how they handle them that counts. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

TCI. :puke:

i've had more than my share of their crap last week.

hey zippy,

what kind of :puke: are you talking about. I am curious if people have had any problem with the TCI's. Let me know if i am getting myself into a problem.

Thanks

Eric

Dennis - How high did the PYE3200 stall under your truck with stroker and Radix? Did you ever run it without the Radix? If so, what was that stall?

I'll buy it from you. I would like a new one, not a trashed one thats been rebuilt though. Ask Mike if he will send you out a new one as a replacement. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable "upgrade" fee if he would send you a new one before you sent him the broken one. Tell them that their PRO EXTREME converter took out the transmission and is costing you money. Maybe you'll get something worked out.

Richard

Dennis - How high did the PYE3200 stall under your truck with stroker and Radix? Did you ever run it without the Radix? If so, what was that stall?

I'll buy it from you. I would like a new one, not a trashed one thats been rebuilt though. Ask Mike if he will send you out a new one as a replacement. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable "upgrade" fee if he would send you a new one before you sent him the broken one. Tell them that their PRO EXTREME converter took out the transmission and is costing you money. Maybe you'll get something worked out.

Richard

4200 +, Never ran it w/o the Radix though. It was fairly soft during normal driving, nothing I couldn't have lived with :smash:

I'll try Mike on Monday and let you know what he says. :thumbs:

Archived