Started My New Job

I'm about 4 weeks into my new job that I got after I graduated from college. I'm working at Dakota Digital in Sioux Falls, SD. The first 2 weeks was crappy because I had to teach myself how to use Microsoft Visual Basic and all I did was read lines of code.

We have a Research and Development lab in our facility here that they just put in. I am doing most of my work in here now, along with a little design in the engineering office. There is about 9 Harleys in here at all times, tons of tools, and a 2wd dyno. I havent seen the dyno in use yet, but just about 2 weeks before i started they had a 2010 Camaro on there that they were putting cutouts on already. Kinda neat.

I have been thinking of designing some gauges of my own for the SS and seeing what you guys thought of them. I was leaning more towards the edge of the Aeroforce type gauges. If you guys have any ideas that you might like to see in a gauge, let me know. Id really like to try to make something.

sorry for the long read, I'm just finally excited about my job and happy that I found one.

Kenny Weber

EDIT: Here is the website if you want to check it out. http://www.dakotadigital.com/

Edited by kweber (see edit history)

thanks guys. it is a lot of fun. it makes me want to buy a harley though. im told that I will be able to take some of the customs out for a cruise sometime, but i need to work up the ladder first.

this one is the one i want to take out

prd_lp_432.jpg

Congrats on the new job :cheers: What do you guys use VB for? Gauge ideas - if I could have the 'perfect' gauge, it would be a tach that read 8000 rpm, with a tiny boost needle inset at the bottom (like on a Powerstroke Ford tach); and the Speedo reading 150-mph too. More towards practical, it would be a godsend to have a combination gauge that had AFR and boost and KR and fuel pressure displayed, and make the background of the gauge turn RED when any of the three parameters go out of band - ideally it would be great if I could program the desired AFR per psi of boost, that way when we install a supercharger in a truck we can also install this "idiot gauge" that tells the driver something is operating way outside normal and they can back out of the throttle.

Mr. P.

Congrats on the new job :cheers: What do you guys use VB for? Gauge ideas - if I could have the 'perfect' gauge, it would be a tach that read 8000 rpm, with a tiny boost needle inset at the bottom (like on a Powerstroke Ford tach); and the Speedo reading 150-mph too. More towards practical, it would be a godsend to have a combination gauge that had AFR and boost and KR and fuel pressure displayed, and make the background of the gauge turn RED when any of the three parameters go out of band - ideally it would be great if I could program the desired AFR per psi of boost, that way when we install a supercharger in a truck we can also install this "idiot gauge" that tells the driver something is operating way outside normal and they can back out of the throttle.

Mr. P.

:drool:

Talk about a wish list. Hopefully ten years from now that would be the standard for custom gauges! Adding more customization is key

Im using VB right now to make programs for our test fixtures. they are pretty basic. I like your gauge ideas Mr. P...those would be some awesome specs for a gauge if one came out like that. I am still doing some learning here and it will probably be a while before i can start making this happen....who knows, maybe someday ill make that gauge and call it the Mr. P :cheers:

Mr. P.

In a way, that gauge does exist. Check out the Trick Performance P-gauge:

Trick P-gauge link

It is really geared to a nitrous set-up however does do everything you mentioned except for the KR monitoring.

BTW, Congrats on the new job kweber! :cheers: