Lost Horsepower!

Last night I put my truck on the dyno and put down a disappointing 290 horse power with 16" wheels. Previously I had put down 325hp on 18"s before my cam and torque converter and swapping from a pcmforless cookie cutter tune to a blackbear performance. I believe that I am making considerably more horse power but it is not making it to the wheels. I had to swap the injectors to the 44lbers; the stock ones were running at 129% after the cam. Would the torque converter be robbing the horsepower? I have a yank truck thruster 3000

Sounds to me like you need to have your truck logged to find out what is going on.....you probably need some tuning tweaks to optimize that cam/stall combo.....

Justin at blackbear performance had tuned my truck for the cam and stall; it took a few months of runs a pcms to get everything running correctly.

I dont think its your verter, but something is waaay off. My truck with full bolt on's and no cam made 347 rwhp in 90* heat and on my second run my trans pump broke.

I don't know where to start looking. Two years ago before the cam and stall and custom tune I had put down 325 rwhp.

what are you cam specs ? what fuel you dyno with ? what fuel are you tuned for ? what gear did you dyno in ? anything done to the tranny besides a TC ?

Comp Cams 222º/224º .566"/.568" 112LSA, I dynoed with 90 which is the highest we can get at the pump; I run it all the time, I had all the tuning done with 90 octane in the tank, ran the truck in fourth gear, nothing else has been done to the tranny.

was this done ont he same dyno?

It was on the same dyno; the only difference that I know of was that it was 15 degrees hotter. How accurate is the crank and wheel horse power with the efi live software? (Not sure which software you tune with)

Edited by Fast06 (see edit history)

When the torque converter is unlocked, it will not transfer as much power to the rear wheels. The looser the converter, the less power is transferred to the driveshaft. How much specifically...there is no formula.

One other thing about your truck Mike, a very KEY thing in power output, is that you have a quirky 2006. No matter what the PE (power enrichment) settings are, half the time that you go wide open throttle, it will sit in closed loop (making considerably less power) for a second or a few seconds before richening up and increasing the ignition timing accordingly. There are times in some of your logs where it's in closed loop for the entire duration of your WOT blast. That closed loop operation and subsequent lower timing could easily cost you 30-40hp on top of your torque converter loss.

Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about it, as it only happens from time to time on random 2006 vehicles. Some will never have an issue, others have it constantly...

One other thing about your truck Mike, a very KEY thing in power output, is that you have a quirky 2006. No matter what the PE (power enrichment) settings are, half the time that you go wide open throttle, it will sit in closed loop (making considerably less power) for a second or a few seconds before richening up and increasing the ignition timing accordingly. There are times in some of your logs where it's in closed loop for the entire duration of your WOT blast. That closed loop operation and subsequent lower timing could easily cost you 30-40hp on top of your torque converter loss.

Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about it, as it only happens from time to time on random 2006 vehicles. Some will never have an issue, others have it constantly...

Thanks Justin for checking in and explaining what had happened to me on the dyno. Is there anything that I can do about the torque converter loss?

Run the truck where it matters, the track... TC's can rob a ton of power, especially unlocked.

My buddy runs just about the same times as me at the track, and the same exact mods... However, his converter does not lock at WOT, mine will. Third gear pulls, my converter locks at about 105, pull goes until about 120. I put down 380/360. He put down 298/320.

Numbers don't matter... And they can be skewed by a TC that doesn't lock.