New Job

well after 3 years with the same electrical contractor, looks like i'll be jumping ship and moving on. I've been off and on working since christmas, and since i'm in my final year as an apprentice, i need to find a company and show them that i'm worth keeping as a journeyman. i'm really nervous about going to a new contractor as i was in good with my previous company, oh well, just wanted to share some good news with you guys! :cheers:

good luck man, back in feb. after nearly 3 years with the compony i was working with they laid off me self and 14 of 30 (first wave) and i hear now theyre down to under 10 guys in the feild, so i gave up and joined the service... but its a great trade and if you have enough work to get the time in for your tickit then your all set dont have to work for anyone ever again if you dont want to

well after 3 years with the same electrical contractor, looks like i'll be jumping ship and moving on. I've been off and on working since christmas, and since i'm in my final year as an apprentice, i need to find a company and show them that i'm worth keeping as a journeyman. i'm really nervous about going to a new contractor as i was in good with my previous company, oh well, just wanted to share some good news with you guys! :cheers:

IBEW Apprentice?

Works tough everywhere bud (351 of south jersey here)... I went on a 4 day per week stint for awhile too. It sucked... my lay-off can come at any time too. Once you get that ticket it's all you, weight of the working world off your shoulders.

It's worth it bud. Hang in there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My $.02... NEVER work 277 hot, lol. (if you haven't learned that the hard way yet)

For the guys that don't know about electricity, it's just especially nasty. If 120v were a prick from a pin, 277v would be a .357 round fired from a Smith and Wesson Snub Nose, lol. I remember when I got hung up... I could hear the hum from inside my head but couldn't hear any noise from anything else. People were around and their voices and the power tools just stopped existing for that few seconds. Also, had a weird taste in my mouth for about 20 minutes. It was intense to say the least! Hand to hand; line to ground. 'Nuff said!

what did u get hung up on page? luckily, the most i got bit off of was 110/208. just a moment of mental retardation on my part, and the lack of taping up a light switch on someone else's. btw, yes, IBEW local 481..5th year apprentice, hopefully this time next year, i'll be a big j-dub

what did u get hung up on page? luckily, the most i got bit off of was 110/208. just a moment of mental retardation on my part, and the lack of taping up a light switch on someone else's. btw, yes, IBEW local 481..5th year apprentice, hopefully this time next year, i'll be a big j-dub

I'm end of 3rd year in 351.

I was working at the new Cooper Hospital in Camden and there was a big rush (surprise!) to get the restaurant finished (yeah a restaurant in a hospital, not a cafeteria, a full restaurant)... All the 277v permanent lighting was wired through the switch box to give all the trade power to work with. To minimize downtime I was going around and prepping the occupancy sensors (auto light switches). I had the OS in my left hand and as I tried to pull the spice from the switch box the sensor trim ring was touching the grounded box tile ring... wouldn't you know it my right hand grabbed the wire with a 1" piece of missing insulation. Boom... hand to hand 277v. Talk about a big rush.

It wasn't so much the pain as I didn't even realize it hurt until after I was off of it. It was just that sudden realization that "oh shlt, it's got me"... my body squeezed and tensed up almost like I was in the weight room doing a bench press. I could hear it hum in my head and throat. Like I said before it was weird, I couldn't hear anything but the "hummmmm"...

Good luck on that J-Ticket. October for you guys too? I'm in need of that 4th year rate big time... :D

I think there's at least one SSS in every local!

:cheers::cheers::cheers: