6.0 Stroker Build ?s

:confused: Hey i got an 03 z71 i put my 6.0 lq9 out of my wrecked 03 ss. I got about 55k miles on the motor and the oil pump went out. Im thinking about stroking it or doing something to spice it up a little. But this is a all new playing field for me needing some help. I wanted to do a 408 but heard they arent good for a daily driver. Im got to be running like 33 in tires and it will be daily driver and pull car trailers and boats etc. I guess what im asking is for some options or set ups that you guys have and price ranges. Also so wantin to run like a 4:30 gear and have the 4l65e in it. I will go ahead and tell you all thanks in advance. :cheers:

I wanted to do a 408 but heard they arent good for a daily driver.

Untrue! It will all be dependent on your component choices and tuning for drivability and power. Obviously heavily ported heads, a huge cam and high compression will not be too street friendly, especially for what you want it to do (towing etc.) However mild head porting, mild duration cam and compression say under 11:1 will be a great motor for what you want to do. Careful matching of the cam to the converter will be ticket here. A high stall converter is not good for towing however the "bigger" the cam the more converter you will need to get the motor in the power band and not fall on its face in the low RPMs. You will need to match a good torquey cam profile with a lower stall converter IMHO. Also if you are looking for longevity, beating your valvetrain with a high lift cam isn't ideal either.

You need to talk to a good LSx engine builder and go through some build scenarios.

I agree with Krambo's post, while there were a lot of early engine builds that didn't last, that has changed somewhat. What I believe the OP is referring to is the oil consumption complaints.

Piston design, along with the LS1's short cylinder length caused allot of the problems in the earlier builds that most were based off of. The iron 6.0's have a decent length cylinder and can handle the stroke for a 408 build without issues though. On the LS1's too large of a stroke would cause the piston skirt to come out of the bore, which is a problem when it comes to longevity. All of the different LS style motors have different cylinder length, which requires a little research before you decide which one to build.

Something that has grabbed my attention due to me having the relatively small Radix, is the new 3.75" stroke forged crank from GM. With it, it is possible to build an old school sized 383 and possibly still be small enough for the little 112 to feed. The only obstacle I see right now is that it uses the LSA bolt pattern flexplate (8 bolt), which I don't know if is compatible with 4L60 type transmissions. The LSA is the designation the new Cadillac's use and they come with they six speed auto transmissions. There are also not near as many off the shelf pistons for the 3.75" configuration as almost everyone automatically jumps to the 4.00" stroke.

Bottom line is don't be afraid; as a well thought out build with quality components, that is assembled correctly will ensure a long lasting motor!

Thanks guys. I wanting the most power that i can get with out taking the truck duties out of the truck lol. And whatever i do decide to build i dont want to have to repeat over and over . Lol i havent got the money for that lol. Roughy what does a good built 408 cause if any ideas. I got 317 heads right now i was thinking on going to 243 or so. Ideas on this would also be helpful. thanks

Thanks guys. I wanting the most power that i can get with out taking the truck duties out of the truck lol. And whatever i do decide to build i dont want to have to repeat over and over . Lol i havent got the money for that lol. Roughy what does a good built 408 cause if any ideas. I got 317 heads right now i was thinking on going to 243 or so. Ideas on this would also be helpful. thanks

the 243s may boost your compression to high. 317s should do well.

The 408 is one of the best daily driver engines for these trucks. Get the compression to a little over 11:1 and if you can find some 243 heads get them. Cam selection is going to be the key. Keep the cam to [email protected] and less for the results you're looking for. Who are you going to have doing your engine?

The 408 is one of the best daily driver engines for these trucks. Get the compression to a little over 11:1 and if you can find some 243 heads get them. Cam selection is going to be the key. Keep the cam to [email protected] and less for the results you're looking for. Who are you going to have doing your engine?

Me and my dad and some friends. We have the abilty just never did one this new lol. My moms cousin owns his own machine shop not say that he will be cheaper for me but he is really good. He also isnt but like 15 mn from the house. Have ne of you did the 408 build before? If so do yall got around about pricing? I think you are the one that did my tune about little over a year and a half ago. If so i got you to set up for the electric fans and you emailed me the wire diagram. But i end up with the harness from Nelson per and it has one wire going to the pcm and one going to a acc wire. my question is that the diagram showed like pin 41 and 42 could i change it frim the acc wire to the other pin when going back together. the way it is works good but i dont like it when just wanting to listen to the radio in the yard and the fan is always running. Also pm me your info again i want you to redo my tune when i get it back together thanks.

Well all the help has been really great but still havent got the answers im really looking for lol. i am looking for at least some good places where i can get some prices and or some people that have built the 408 and how they like it as daily driver and so on. Thanks again for all the help so far.