2003 recall

trickmob

I just got my first recall for my 03 ss. I guess the tailgaite cable may corrode, weaken and fracture. Gm will replace with galvanized steel support cables.They said until they fix it, "do not stand, sit, or apply loads directly onto the tailgaite when its in the full open (horizontal) position. The tailgaite should be removed when loading or unloading cargo. :crazy:

You wont notice it untill it just breaks. My dads looked fine and I dont think I saw any rust. Then we were putting the 4wheeler up in it and it just snapped :wtf: He got some more but if you dont watch them they will hang out the crack. You might want to order the new ones now before they snap and you get stuck with something you cant unload while the new ones are gettin shipped in.

The letter I got said that the dealerships didn't actually have the new cables yet and that when they did I would get another letter telling me to take it in.

Hell, if they would spend less money on letters letting you know another letter was coming they could spend that money on R & D for the 500HP regular cab SS so Zippy can stop complaining. :jester:

I friend of mine has a 99 and his cables broke a couple of weeks ago when loading a 4 wheeler into the back of his truck. The worse thing about it is it messed his tailgate up because it hit the bumper and he ordered new cables off of ebay one day before I got my letter about it. The reason they are sending out two letters is to cover their ass if something happens between now and when they get the new cables in. It's their way of saying "I tried to tell you...It's not our fault you did ____ and they broke."

I got the pre-recall letter also. It says the current cables are galvanized and they are going to replace them with stainless steel cables. I don't see any corrosion, but as most have said, you won't see it as they have the plastic covers on the cables. If GM wants to replace them at their cost, I am going to let them do it. I would rather get them replaced now than be loading something and the tail gate goes slaming into the bumper and causing more damage or even worse hurting someone in the process.

This is a very simple fix. I would like to drive by and pick up the new cables, when they become available, and install them myself except the dealer says no. They have to put them on. I'm being inconvenienced so they can make a buck off of GM?

This is a very simple fix. I would like to drive by and pick up the new cables, when they become available, and install them myself except the dealer says no. They have to put them on. I'm being inconvenienced so they can make a buck off of GM?

I agree. We have to drop off our truck and loose it for a day just to take out two bolts, remove the cables, and then intall the new ones? It should take about five to ten minutes. You should be able to just drive up and they can come out and replace them while you wait but that won't happen for sure.

Just got my recall notice for my 2004. I wonder what took them so long. A neighbor who is a manager at a GM dealership says the cables will not be available until late summer! I asked him if mine should be included, as a rubber sleeve covers my cable and lug. He says that the cable normally sits with the middle in the lowest spot, so moisture gets inside of the rubber sleeve, wicks to the middle and rots out the cable in the middle where you can't see it.

Yes I agree, they should just hand you the 2 cables. But you know that they will insist that you leave the truck with their service department, so you won't have the truck for a day!

Rick R

Archived