Im Doing An Essay

funceca88

ok im doing an essay in school, we chose the topic of 'should handguns be banned', and we are going to have a debate on the topic on tuesday, im against banning handguns or any guns PERIOD!.

i already have some good points

a:it is un-constitutional

b:people have the right to defend them selfs

dc:illegal hangun purchase should not be presented as an argument.

thats preety much all i have, so if you guys could give me your reasons for banning them or not banning them, that would be great.

IM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE OR PISS SOMEONE OFF, IM JUST TRYING TO GET SOME DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW, THATS ALL!!!.

THANK YOU VIDAL

Edited by Vidalss (see edit history)

guns dont kill people bullets do . if anything they should be the thing regulated . make them very expensive this way if your going to kill someone it better be worth it lol.

:jester:

i love guns and think it would not be smart if they were banned . sure they coule make them illeagle now but guns are already out there. no matter what they cant take them all away . so my as well let the innocent protect themselves legally . even if guns were made illeagle i would make sure to know where one was for insurance .

this is definatly a touchy subject that will get you alot of colorful responses.

I believe that everyone has the right to bear arms as long as you use it in a self-defense manner. I already have hand- to-hand experience but let someone come into my house un-invited.....

A good argument for a handgun ban is that there is only 1 thing you can do with a handgun that you can't do with a rifle/shotgun.....EASILY hide it. Yes, long guns can be hidden, but not very EASILY.

The self-protection argument falls apart because you're better off with a shotgun. When caught off guard at home or wherever, all you need to be is close with a shotgun.

The hunting argument doesn't hold water either. Long guns are more accurate over 20-25 yds.

Lots of handgun crimes are spur of the moment crimes. People get into an argument, pull a gun and shoot the other person because they happen to have a gun on them. Someone gets cut-off in traffic and shoots the other guy with his "self-protection" handgun, etc.

Arguments for handguns would be the simple fact that you'll never really get rid of them so they might as well be legal. The second amendment (constantly being argued in the courts). So many bad guys have them that you need to be armed to balance things. Some people prefer to hunt with them.

Also, bans don't work. The US gov't. has tried banning alcohol, drugs, abortion and many other things. Didn't get rid of those problems so why would anyone think banning handguns would get rid of them?

Personal opinion--I have no use for a handgun, but there are lots of things people use that I have no use for so everyone should be able to make their own choice. I do own a few rifles and 2 shotguns and I'd fight anybody that tried to take them away. JMHO

Edited by BOB47 (see edit history)

If hand guns were banned, the only people that would have them are people who society and or the law already says cant own or posses them. I say let me (us) protect ourselves from those folks. I also (IMO) have earned the right to bare arms as I have no criminal history that would prevent me from owning one, and of course as many have stated its my 2nd amendment right.

Id have to admit, if they were banned...I cant say Id let mine go?

I think the most important part of the argument is that it is our right to keep and bear arms. I love my guns. I have some of my grandfathers guns and I have my own handguns too. South Carolina also allows concealed weapon permits, and somewhere around 70,000 people in the state have permits. Last year I believe only 6 people lost theirs, so that tells me that the law abiding citizens are the ones carrying the legal way. They aren't the ones that big brother needs to be worrying about. IMHO

The most important to me is:

If you outlaw guns, honest law following citizens will not own them. However scumbag criminals will because they have no respect for the law anyway.

You'd be handicapping the good guys and giving the bad guys an extra edge!

I think they should make owning an illegal gun a 25 year felony crime. That weeds out the scumbags that do the crime anyway...

I am in the process of obtaining my pistol permit in New York State. As a matter of fact, my local BCI investigator just brought me in for a short interview today. All told, it costs around $200 and six months to obtain a permit in my state. So one argument could be that all states would be losing money from citizens who legally want a permit and are willing to pay for it. Another argument could be that states will be losing big on tax money when pistols are sold in gun stores. I recently read an article about how gun ownership is big on the rise. Try looking that up because this industry is creating big tax money for our government.

In my state since 9/11, they do not issue 100% concealed permits anymore. They call it a "Sportsman's Concealed" which means you can carry the pistol to and from your hunting location/shooting range or to and from a gunsmith. Obviously you can use it on your land as well. So argue that states are not carelessly issuing permits to anyone. Like I said, the NY State Police investigation takes up to six months, they go back and talk to the guy that you might have fought in 11th grade. If one person they contact says that you might be unstable the investigation ends right then and there.

The big problem is the illegal pistol trade, and those felons who can not legally own a pistol. All agencies from federal to local need to step up their programs to combat this. It is a huge problem!

Get facts and figures (hard numbers) from the NRA, NPA, IDPA, etc to back up your claims about legal pistol ownership. Like anything else, the more research you do will make for a better argument.

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

A good argument for a handgun ban is that there is only 1 thing you can do with a handgun that you can't do with a rifle/shotgun.....EASILY hide it. Yes, long guns can be hidden, but not very EASILY.

The self-protection argument falls apart because you're better off with a shotgun. When caught off guard at home or wherever, all you need to be is close with a shotgun.

The hunting argument doesn't hold water either. Long guns are more accurate over 20-25 yds.

Lots of handgun crimes are spur of the moment crimes. People get into an argument, pull a gun and shoot the other person because they happen to have a gun on them. Someone gets cut-off in traffic and shoots the other guy with his "self-protection" handgun, etc.

Arguments for handguns would be the simple fact that you'll never really get rid of them so they might as well be legal. The second amendment (constantly being argued in the courts). So many bad guys have them that you need to be armed to balance things. Some people prefer to hunt with them.

Also, bans don't work. The US gov't. has tried banning alcohol, drugs, abortion and many other things. Didn't get rid of those problems so why would anyone think banning handguns would get rid of them?

Personal opinion--I have no use for a handgun, but there are lots of things people use that I have no use for so everyone should be able to make their own choice. I do own a few rifles and 2 shotguns and I'd fight anybody that tried to take them away. JMHO

Long guns are easier to grab and disarm someone. Hand guns are a lot easier to handle in a crisis. Most self defense shooting happen closer than 3 ft.

Edited by shreveportSS (see edit history)

I would also recommend doing some research concerning the enforcement of current laws on the books. I did a thesis paper a few years back of a similar nature. I found and cited a lot of existing laws that were not being effectively utilized. Also, perhaps concentrate on sentencing guidelines for certain violent crimes involving firearms and see how that plays a role as well. Typically, anti-gun supporters want more legislation and laws when there are already thousands on the books that dont stop crime from happening. Its just another angle to consider.

Related -

I just read in the local paper that firearm and munition sales have just exploded in the last six months.

Listening to the talk on the news networks it sounds like this country is moving to civil war, over the increase in federal rights/control over the citizenry and the loss of states rights and personal rights (just like the last civil war).

AFA your assignment (pros and cons of gun control) my own personal value judgement on this is that each citizen has the right to protect themselves and their property; lethal force must remain on the table as a viable option for a person to defend themselves in the face of an equally lethal threat. As long as the government cannot eliminate life-threatening criminals from society we citizens must have the capacity to prepare ourselves for this situation (if one should arise). There is nothing wrong with owning a gun, no more wrong than owning a Corvette - just because a personi owns a Corvette does NOT equate to that person having intention of violating the law...

Mr. P.