CENTRIFUGAL BLOWER IDEA

I see that most of complaints against running a centrifugal blower versus a Magnusson or Whipple is that they produce immediate gains right off the line, for a better 60 ft. The centrifugal blower comes on hard on top end but cannot make up the distance in a quarter mile race, definitely not in a eighth mile, unless you have a signifcant stall in the truck, which makes it tough to be an everyday driver. How about if we overdrive the centrifugal for 4-5 lbs of boost at 3000 and then have a turbo style wastegate that bleeds off boost at a set limit on top end. I have a Procharger on my boat that makes 13 lbs of boost at 6000 and it makes 4 or 5 lbs right at 3000, so there is no lag feel at all. Since the boost curve would be too high to continually spin the centrifugal at overdriven rate, bleeding of the boost would be logical solution. Let me know what you all think on this.

With the work involved in doing that I would just go with a turbo. Seems to be the type of power you like anyway. Still a worthy idea, been brought up many times too. I liek the procharger too, I am not that picky about a daily driver though. 600 lift and duration over [email protected] is streetable to me though. So I am a little crazy I guess. :D

BTW this is 262guy on LQ9's screen name.

For the SSS that already have a vortech or Procharger, what would be invlolved in adding a blow off valve, anyone that fools with turbos should have a better idea than me. I like the centifugal blower idea myself on my SS, but would like to maximize its potential.

if you suck all that air past the mass air flow sensor and then just bleed it off, it's likely going to be really rich. the solution is just to up the boost or just use a higher stall speed converter.

I agree with zippy... some custom tuning will definitely be needed for any application that uses a blow-off valve (BOV).

Another possible down side is the SC drag on the engine. Overdriving the SC would put more load on the engine, increase intake air temperatures, and increase heat in the SC (wear, longevity, etc.). How much power would be gained by more boost from overdriving? How much power would be lost due to parasitic load and increased air temps? Tough balancing act...

With a turbo there is no parasitic drag on the engine, and intake temps are similar to standard boost SC setups (both intercooled). So, its no big deal to throw away the extra boost (with a BOV) from the turbo at hi rpms because it didn't cost you any extra power to get. Make sense?

:cheers:

The parasitic loss with a centrifugal blower is considerably less than other forms of supercharging, I think the loss would be minimal. I was attempting to find a situation to lessen the disadvantages of the centrifuagl blower while still being able to harness its advantages. As an owner of a centrifugal blower in a marine application I am high on their ease to deal with and power potential. Looking seriously at one for my truck. Thanks for the input so far.

Archived