I am not an expert by any means however it was told to me that the Detroit Locker is the strongest center you can get however is not the best application for the street due to the noisy turns from the gears disengaging and the clunking coupling back together sound. This unit is ideal for the Saturday night specials and mostly drag trucks vs. the quieter and more "street friendly" True Track. Either one will perform as intended however the Detroit Locker will handle more power so to speak.

True Trac FTW!!!!! Locks up when it is supposed to, no clutches to hang up, and no flimsy spider gear to self destruct......100x better then the G80. :thumbs:

hey buddy, I think you are mistaking the G80 with the locker, totally different animals. I am with krambo, for strenght go with the locker... for everyday driving the trutrack

hey buddy, I think you are mistaking the G80 with the locker, totally different animals. I am with krambo, for strenght go with the locker... for everyday driving the trutrack

Nope, I was comparing the TrueTrac to the G80, since I have upgraded from one to the other, from experience the TrueTrac is a much better piece.......I have no experience with a Detroit locker......

I personally have the Detroit Locker in my black truck. I like it, but it's not for everyone for sure. It makes a quiet clicking noise when turning. That really isn't a big deal. The diff is designed to put tire to the inside tire when turning and if you apply power it will spin that tire and then lock in which can make for a weird feeling if you try to roll slowly aroud a corner and then apply power too quick. Doesn't bother me, used to annoy my wife when she drives it (now she doesn't even notice it). My only real complaint to using the Detroit Locker is when running with the cruise set. The Detroit has backlash added to it's internal design. When you have the cruise set and you're going downhill you notice sometimes that you can feel the backlash when the crusie applies power and takes it away. The Tru-Trac has non of those problems. I picked the Detroit over the Tru-Trac because it is stronger. The only problem I've heard at all with the Tru-Trac is that you have to be more carefull with them at the track. Get one tire in the water and one on the dryand you may get a one tire burn which can break that diff. Overall very strong though and an excellent diff for the 9.5" rear. The Detroit Locker is great, expensive, and takes some getting used to.

thanks for all the replys. although i do go to the strip fairly often, i drive the truck alot. i guess im gunna go truetrac and if it somehow breaks, then ill opt for the locker. thanks guys :D

i know everyone hates the OE 9.5" locker, but i have to give it credit for standing up to a good amount of power and ALOT of over capacity towing by a very unfriendly foot. (wish i could say the same for those stupid 4L60's :P )

Get the TruTrak, you will LOVE IT. When the truck hits second you will feel the whole rear-end of the truck squat :drivnig: Also the TruTrack fits the G80 PERFECT, we have done many of them and each time when we check the tooth pattern it is unchanged using the same shims GM did on the G80 :thumbs: If you can afford the extra $$$ get the T/A rear cover/girdle too and a set of ARP studs for the diff caps. Virgil (Mean05) uses this diff with aftermarket axles coming off the line on a 225-shot and no problems :eek:

Mr. P. :)

i have a detroit locker in mine. my dad had it laying around so he installed it for me when i first got the ss. i like it but when it raind turning is a pain even turning on dry is a pain it bounces but other than that its cool no complaints here. i really dont know much about lockers so im probley not much help. it was free didnt cost me a thing so i said go for it lol

Get the TruTrak, you will LOVE IT. When the truck hits second you will feel the whole rear-end of the truck squat :drivnig: Also the TruTrack fits the G80 PERFECT, we have done many of them and each time when we check the tooth pattern it is unchanged using the same shims GM did on the G80 :thumbs: If you can afford the extra $$$ get the T/A rear cover/girdle too and a set of ARP studs for the diff caps. Virgil (Mean05) uses this diff with aftermarket axles coming off the line on a 225-shot and no problems :eek:

Mr. P. :)

i have the TA cover, and i have had some bad experience with it... first one i got was mis-machined (on top edge), so it leaked out the top. diff fluid sticks to everything, so it was hard to figure out where it was exactly happening at first.. then the load bolts... no not the thread, through the middle of the studs! they were cracked :wtf: so i have a, re-machined, siliconed to hell, TA girdle :jester:

John, if you need part numbers, let me know.......mine was done 11 months ago, and I have all of the numbers. :ninja:

that would be fantastic :cheers:

that would be fantastic :cheers:

The Detroit TrueTrac part # is 914A538, or Summit Racing # DTL-914A538(where I got mine).....The ARP bearing cap stud kit is TA_1803-SK, from TA performance of course.

If anyone else reading this and has a RWD SSS and is wondering, the 14-bolt girdle/cover from TA Performance is a TA_1803.