Cash For Clunkers Bs

NashSS

I have been hearing a lot of hearsay and rumors from several persons in the industry about all the cars being crushed and chipped-up in the CARS program, and what I hear is very disturbing. There is a lot of fine American Iron being destroyed.

And I hate to sound cynical here, BUT REALLY did anyone expect a bunch of CAR SALESMEN nationwide to stay honest and not abuse a completely unregulated/unpoliced government handout program? Puhleeeeze.... :uhoh:

Mr. P.

It is because of stuff like this that I am considering what it will take to have HPM join and support SEMA. Matter of fact I am going to call someone about that this week. There should have been provisions to allow parting-out the cars, because recycling is a good/responsible thing IMO; but more importantly provisions should have been made to allow re-purchase of vehicles that have significant historical or collectible significance. IMO this is legislation that has gone completely amuck and will seriously affect the future aftermarket as well as the auto enthusiast community.

Hmmm a SEMA membership would be $350 a year... decisions, decisions... :boat:

:withstupid: , good points.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government should put them up for sale at the 4,500 price and allow people to buy them. It'd be a chance for low income people to buy nice vehicles.

Once the VIN is entered in the rebate, it wouldn't be eligable to be turned in again... why destroy a good vehicle?

I totally agree with that statement 100 percent. After the program started I looked on youtube and saw what was being done and it pissed me off. On my local news they showed some guy who traded in a 1980 cadillac eldorado cp that was in totally mint condition with only 30k on the clock with classic plates on it. The car was bought brand new by his father and kept in a garage it's entire life and was given to this guy (the son) a few years ago and he kept it in mint condition till he traded it in on that dumb ass "Cash For Clunkers" program only to get a ugly jeep patriot. I dont get people who can destroy a car thats in perfectly good condition all for a dumb rebate that we are ALL paying for.

I am ending this now cause I can start to feel my heart racing from anger.

If the government put the cars they got from cash for clunkers back up for sale it would eliminate some of the 3 billion dollars it used to pay back the dealerships. But instead now (no one has added this into the cash factor yet) they have to have 700,000 cars scrapped. I'm not sure that comes free.. actually I doubt it 100%. If every car that was put into cash for clunkers sold for lets say 2000$ (some obviously were actually very bad, the dealerships around me; most vehicles were rust buckets) thats almost half the 3 billion dollars back. Something along those lines.. but whatever; I couldn't utilize this cash for clunkers because the system sucked ass; so my beat up truck will just get beat some more; whatever.

There should have been provisions to allow parting-out the cars, because recycling is a good/responsible thing IMO; but more importantly provisions should have been made to allow re-purchase of vehicles that have significant historical or collectible significance. IMO this is legislation that has gone completely amuck and will seriously affect the future aftermarket as well as the auto enthusiast community.

I agree.

I do not know about how all of you feel however each TAX PAYING AMERICAN is footing the $4500.00 bill on each one of those crushed vehicles. I want my tax money back personally, nobody asked me before they spent my money. What a great program! :uhoh:

The whole idea for the program is to get the older cars off the roads. Emissions deal. Some of the cars are just scrapped, but a lot of them are being sold to junkyards. The powertrain is off limits (due to the whole emission thing), but you can buy parts from these cars. I didn't like the program at first, considering the govt is giving 4500 for these $200 cars... In the big picture, the dealerships are selling inventory, and the banks are getting their loans again. Buyers go from no car payment to a monthly payment again, but that money goes into the economy. I know a loaded Cobalt SS supercharged is somewhere around 20k, when it only costs 6k to make the car. The rest is just profit. Dealers aren't making that much more $$, just getting their numbers back up.

A friend of mine is in charge of destroying the motors at a local dealer. He told me they haven't done one yet. They haven't seen any money from the Govt. for any of the cars they took in on the program so they are holding off. Not that they can get $4,500 for some of them anyway. Was told some other dealers are in the same situation. Waiting.....

I don't agree with this program either.. This takes away a lot of affordable cars for up and coming drivers. As well as mentioned limited budget folks. *Sighs*

Lol - you guys realized that GM just had to file for bankruptcy, right?

6.8 million new cars sold under this program. Thats a shit-ton of american jobs.

Cash for clunkers wasnt about reducing pollution (nice side effect though) it was about selling cars which = jobs.

Ohs Noes, 5000 1978 chrysler cordobas met an early demise. yea, like poor people have 4500$ laying around, and could afford the maintenance on most of the crap that got traded in. This is the stuff than rush and hannity wont tell you.

Edited by BlakAZss (see edit history)

Lol - you guys realized that GM just had to file for bankruptcy, right?

6.8 million new cars sold under this program. Thats a shit-ton of american jobs.

Cash for clunkers wasnt about reducing pollution (nice side effect though) it was about selling cars which = jobs.

Ohs Noes, 5000 1978 chrysler cordobas met an early demise. yea, like poor people have 4500$ laying around, and could afford the maintenance on most of the crap that got traded in. This is the stuff than rush and hannity wont tell you.

Creates jobs temporarily, then what? This was or is a short term solution...I wonder who's paying the $4500 for each of the (as you mentioned) 6.8 million cars sold under this program?

Even if the govt doesn't dish out the 4500 for each car, like I mentioned earlier, a cobalt ss supercharged costs 20k+, and only costs 6k to build. 6k + 4500 loss = 10,500. That's still a 9,500 profit for the dealerships. Keeps the dealers in business and keeps and creates some more jobs. I know we are a lot busier taking in these clunkers.

Creates jobs temporarily, then what? This was or is a short term solution...I wonder who's paying the $4500 for each of the (as you mentioned) 6.8 million cars sold under this program?

Works out to around 80$ per taxpayer. Not that big of deal IMHO for what we got out of the deal. Not just GM jobs, but local jobs at dealerships, and all of those cars SHOULD be stripped and parts recycled accoding to the spirit of the bill. That leaves tons of work to be done as the cars are recycled. Plus whatever marginal increases we get on emissions, not to mention that more fuel efficient cars should equal less gasoline demand.

Im not saying the program was perfect, but it sure seemed like a big shot in the arm to alot of businesses that were in pretty serious trouble.

Plus, obviously the incremental savings of taking people who were on unemployment and giving them jobs where they will pay taxes is too advanced for many here.

Maybe 80$ is just not that important to me. Maybe it is too important to others?

Edited by BlakAZss (see edit history)

Even if the govt doesn't dish out the 4500 for each car, like I mentioned earlier, a cobalt ss supercharged costs 20k+, and only costs 6k to build. 6k + 4500 loss = 10,500. That's still a 9,500 profit for the dealerships. Keeps the dealers in business and keeps and creates some more jobs. I know we are a lot busier taking in these clunkers.

A dealership would not make $9500 in this example. A dealership is a seperate entity, not an 'arm or leg' of GM. A dealership has to BUY the vehicle from GM-somewhat like you do from a dealership. It may only cost GM $6K to built the vehicle in your example, but GM does not sell the vehicle to dealerships for that amount of money. After all, GM has to make a profit too! :cool:

Just thought I should clarify this example for a few of us out there.

Works out to around 80$ per taxpayer. Not that big of deal IMHO for what we got out of the deal. Not just GM jobs, but local jobs at dealerships, and all of those cars SHOULD be stripped and parts recycled accoding to the spirit of the bill. That leaves tons of work to be done as the cars are recycled. Plus whatever marginal increases we get on emissions, not to mention that more fuel efficient cars should equal less gasoline demand.

Im not saying the program was perfect, but it sure seemed like a big shot in the arm to alot of businesses that were in pretty serious trouble.

Plus, obviously the incremental savings of taking people who were on unemployment and giving them jobs where they will pay taxes is too advanced for many here.

Maybe 80$ is just not that important to me. Maybe it is too important to others?

If I did my math right thats over 30 billion dollars...just add it to the country's deficit, no big deal!