Rebuild

hey everyone,

i think i just rolled around 60,000 miles. My tranny's been good still. I was wondering if I should look into getting it rebuilt before something does happen (knock on wood). I'm trying to decide between going all motor or getting a supercharger (radix or procharger). I plan on keeping the S/C at stock boost, but i'd like the tranny to be able to handle the power.

should I look into local shops, or just save up for an FLT? and do you guy know of any shops that would send a tranny to AK?

I'm not going to try and tell you that you can't get a quality build from anyone but FLT (you can), but I installed a Level 5 from FLT with billet shafts, Sonnax servos and vacuum modulated in 2006 at 75k miles and now I have over 120K. The parts they use are available to the other builders, but it's what they do with the parts that count. In too many cases people just swap out the parts when rebuilding a tranny and not look for what caused the tranny to fail in the first place, if they knew what to look for in the 1st place.

hey everyone,

i think i just rolled around 60,000 miles. My tranny's been good still. I was wondering if I should look into getting it rebuilt before something does happen (knock on wood). I'm trying to decide between going all motor or getting a supercharger (radix or procharger). I plan on keeping the S/C at stock boost, but i'd like the tranny to be able to handle the power.

should I look into local shops, or just save up for an FLT? and do you guy know of any shops that would send a tranny to AK?

My tranny was built in Anchorage. I have been running an sts turbo setup for almost 2 years on this tranny with no problems. Hanson transmission built the trans. I think they do pretty good work. You might check them out. Another thing to watch is your tuning. I had another tuning company do my first tune and the tranny only lasted about a week with the tune. I wasn't even pushing the truck. So take that into account ontop of everything else. Alot of good tuners on here.

I've had a couple different trucks with transmissions from Hansen's.....The transmissions from them seem to be good for the most part. The ones I have had rebuilt there are: 96 GMC Sierra(last owner had it rebuilt before i bought) , 97 Suburban (Rebuilt around 04-05), and my last truck 2000 GMC Sierra (Rebuilt around August 08). All of them cost around 2k! They held up pretty good but were costly in my opinion. The suburban transmission was built wrong and had to be taken back and they replaced the torque converter and some other stuff but still charged labor even though it was there problem?? The 2000 GMC got the passenger side seat cover screwed up but transmission was awesome. So maybe their work has gotten better. The 96 was fine drove it for two years, keep in mind these were stock rebuilds. Anyway good luck and hopefully my SS won't need a transmission anytime soon.... :uhoh:

As the saying goes, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." It doesn't make sense to rebuild a perfectly good transmission just because it has 60k on it. If you are planning a supercharger, save a few $$$ and beef up your stock trans with a shift kit, servos, larger cooler, and possibly a stall. There are many trucks on this forum that are still running a beefed up stock trans behind blowers and nitrous which are holding up just fine. Run it until it blows up, then upgrade to a built trans IMO.......no sense in wasting a few thousand dollars when there is no need to.......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

As the saying goes, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." It doesn't make sense to rebuild a perfectly good transmission just because it has 60k on it. If you are planning a supercharger, save a few $$$ and beef up your stock trans with a shift kit, servos, larger cooler, and possibly a stall. There are many trucks on this forum that are still running a beefed up stock trans behind blowers and nitrous which are holding up just fine. Run it until it blows up, then upgrade to a built trans IMO.......no sense in wasting a few thousand dollars when there is no need to.......

Dan said it all

Run it until it blows up, then upgrade to a built trans IMO.......no sense in wasting a few thousand dollars when there is no need to.......

Yeah, I didn't rebuild mine untill it completly crapped out! I figured the same thing. Tranny lasted about 1 week after the turbo went on. :jester:

• 3 weeks later...