What will you SS guys do next?

90 Silverado 350

A good rule of thumb............

(for those of you who are just going to be doing the bolt-on's)

First-------Give your truck more air to breathe (new intake, I DO NOT recomend open element. Volant is the best on the market)

Second---Give your truck the ability to exhale easier. (Headers, Mufflers piping. A cat back is insuficient for performance (If all you want is sound thats fine), the cats that come on it flow very well so dont worry too much about them.)

Third -----Tell your truck what to do with its newfound ability to breathe easier. (Aftermarket programmer, Diablo is the best out there, Hypertech and Superchips also make them, but the Diablo absolutely blows them away. Of course the best is LS-1 Edit, but unless your both computer savy and know alot about Fuel Injected engines its useless to you.)

I have found that thats the best order to do things in, and when you think about it, it just makes sense. Your not going to notice much of a gain with the intake, if you do your just bullshitting yourself. You'll notice the headers and exaust, but if you just go with the cat-back again, you'll just be bullshitting yourself if you think you can feel it. But when you combine the programmer with these other mods then you'll really notice the difference.

Good luck.

......also. I have seen with my own eyes no less than 9 LS-1 F-Body's and late model GM trucks blow up due to Nitrous (NOS is a brand not a product). These have varied from 150-50 horsepower shots. The reason i'm saying this is simple, if you build a motor to use Nitrous then go for it, but if you didnt (and Chevy didnt) then dont use it. There are thousands of people out there who will tell you that a small dry shot can be run all day with no trouble. But I can introduce you to 9 guys who now drive cheep ass imports because they blew up the engines on their cars and trucks and the delear sure as hell wouldnt warranty it.

Point is this, Nitrous shouldnt be used by someone who didnt build the motor for it. Save the money and get a blower, if you get the right one you can keep your warranty and your engine will last alot longer. Remember, Nitrous is cheeper than a blower, but a blower is cheeper than a new motor. :thumbs:

demon silverdo people like you crack me up. people blow up there motors becaue they use to much nitrous, dont use colder plugs and there are other things involved.

i have a 98 s10 ss (yes gm made s10 ss fro 94-98) and ive had nitrous on it since 1999 and i just sold it. i ran a 75 shot NO INTERNALS and ran a 13.3@102 on et street 1.84 60 foot time. i street raced almost every weekend and went threw a bottle many times every weekend.

i ran 100 shot for a while also and with 3.5 degree retard on digital 6 plus had no probs. beat a 12.98 camaro 3 times at the races and then decided i proved my point.

nitrous used smartly is fine. people just have like 200 hp motors and decide to jug a 150 on it come on guys.

im one of those cases that clearly shows that nitrous used smartly and set up the right way you have no problems. ive smoked many silverados out here with the kenny bellblowers on them and they have 5.3s and run mid 13s at best in a single cab what a joke. i know guys running 150 shot on there 5.3s and hitting 12s all day long.

nitrous puts a lot more torque than hp to the wheels. for me i didnt want to spend $$$ ina blower to run high 13s in a 4.3. then again im hitting the gas on a blower over and over again day after day puts strees on a motor also.

i sold my black truck and new owner is juggin it at the street races just like i am no probs (well yah tranny went out lol) now i have a built 4.3 im thinking about puttin into my sonoma and im sure with a 75 shot will run low 12s. hey i ran a 13.3@102 with a 75 shot stock motor this one has a nice cam, bored 30 over, forged pistons, ported and polished heads im sure thats good for at least 5-7 tenths

good luck whatever you decide to do but if you do use nitrous use it correctly 100 shot you will be fine

tony

Correct.

Nitrous in itself used properly will not harm your engine.

Using improperly tuned and or using an excessive amount will however.

The bad reputation nitrous has came from people who don't know how to tune and used improper equipment for the application.

RF

nitrous used properly is as safe or safe than a blower imo... i have run nitrous in sevral vehicles with stock bottom ends and never had a problem.. as far as 9 people who blew there motors head gaskets ect... on n20 i have no doubt... ther will alwat be some one who use's it un wisely...

on the same note n20 doesn't raise cylinder temps as a un intercooled blower(most on market) does they both raise compression. raise heat and compression = detonation. also with most supercharger kits u will have to put in larger injectors to keep up with the new found hoooootttttt air your shoving in no fuel press cut off for a blower.i can go on and on here i think u get the idea . i have witnessed alot more failures from super chargers than n20.. by the way 8 lbs of boost on your typical v8 is real close to spaying a 100shot.

Archived