Radix Intercooler Effectiveness

I CORNER

It seems the big limitation to the radix designs compared to Vortec or ATI is the level of intercooling. Exactly how does a radix intercool (ie. engine coolant, separate liquid to air cooler with pump)?

I was thinking that there is a twin-scoop ram air hood available for the SSS. Have any of you radix guys considered plumbing a separate cooler to be cooled from a ram air hood?

Also the Buick Grand National guys have plumbed AC refrigerant to their turbo intercoolers in the past to get supercooling. I wonder if any radix guys have done something like that.

Rick R

Over those other two systems you mention, I think the bigger limitation on the Radix is the amount of air it is capable to produce.

Radix intercools by a glycol liquid loop that runs through the intercooler (sits underneath the blower), and is fed through a heat exchanger that is similar to a radiator, that is, in my case mounted to the lower opening in the grille. It has an external pump to push the fluid around.

I would love to plumb my A/C refrigerant to my heat exchanger. Point me to a how-to. :D

I could not locate info on the Buick Grand National Turbo V6's directly. but I know I have read several articles about it. I did locate something on a, ahem ..., Ford F150 site, as follows (looks like the second link is bad):

Posted by: Crash!

In talking to members on this and other boards, the topic of supercooling the discharge air has come up many times. Some were discussing the idea of using refrigerant to chill the intercooler.

To be honest, we all thought this, in theory, would work. We were unsure of how to make it work, and the idea was discounted.

Then Steve#1 sent me some links.

As you will see, these kits have been developed for turbocharged engines, but could be easily adapted to a centrifugal blower.

I have contacted them and we have discussed building a kit for the Magnacharger too. In talking to them, it is feasible. It would use an evaporator mounted in a new reservoir to chill the coolant before it enters the intercooler.

I am posting to get some opinions and to spark some interest.

http://www.coolflow.com/prod1.htm

http://www.mirageaeromotive.com/intracooler.html

Let me know what you think!

Derek (AKA Crash!)

------------------

BLOWN 4.6 5-speed

Rick R

I have contacted them and we have discussed building a kit for the Magnacharger too. In talking to them, it is feasible. It would use an evaporator mounted in a new reservoir to chill the coolant before it enters the intercooler.

he took the idea right oyut of my mouth... :)

the only problem of which i forsee would be the water possibly freezing up... anyone have a response to this? or would the Glycol make this impossible? :thumbs:

That coolflow system looks like it has separate heat exchangers for liquid and refrigerant. Combine that with the heat from the boost, and I don't think that freezing would be an issue. I can see where putting a refrigerant H/E into a liquid reservoir might cause problems...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
One of the JLP coolers will be my next purchase outside stuff for my engine.

I will be ordering my SuperCooler in the next couple days. My next question is where can I get a higher capacity pump to move the coolant all the way from the bed to the intercooler or do I even need one? I suspect the one with our Radix kit may not have enough power.

I use a JLP powercooler in my Lightning and the stock Lightning intercooler pump easily handles the job.

I also know guys that run the bigger Supercooler in the beds and the stock intercooler pump still easily handles the job.

If the Radix can not handle it maybe the FoMoCo part could be used. (A Ford part on a Chevy. Is that like some kind of No-No or something)

Just a suggestion.

VINNIE

Archived