Starting My Build On My Truck

USMC Silverado

SO! here's the thing, i'm going to pull the LQ9 out of my truck in 2 weeks, i'm supposed to be picking up a 1999 Civic for 1200 bucks that is going to become my DD while i work on my truck thing is i don't know a damn thing about these trucks/engines, i'm old school muscle but i've never done this kinda build I wanna do a cam, bigger intake, bigger TB, TB spacer, exhaust, S/C or T/C, and i'm going through the whole engine and replaceing all the rings and seals because it has 72,XXX miles on it and it needs to be fresh because if i'm going to do it why not do it right. but i need help like i said i need advice, i'm going to send my PCM to wheatley once i know everything i'ma do to the truck but i wanna run 8psi w/ a S/C or around 14 psi w/ a T/C i know we have both types on this site and i want a run down by people that have them and how they feel about them. but yes i will start to post pics once it comes apart. and keep everyone updated on my build.

On a funny note i have to build my engine in my bedroom since i don't have a garage here in NC because they are aparently garage Nazi's here.

BTW i'm only looking for like 400 - 450 hp

Edited by USMC Silverado (see edit history)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would think you could achieve that kinda power with a tvs 1900 or 2300 or even a radix 122 with out going through all that trouble if you have done good maintenance on you truck that engine should look dam near new inside but good luck with what ever path you take

SO! here's the thing, i'm going to pull the LQ9 out of my truck in 2 weeks, i'm supposed to be picking up a 1999 Civic for 1200 bucks that is going to become my DD while i work on my truck thing is i don't know a damn thing about these trucks/engines, i'm old school muscle but i've never done this kinda build I wanna do a cam, bigger intake, bigger TB, TB spacer, exhaust, S/C or T/C, and i'm going through the whole engine and replaceing all the rings and seals because it has 72,XXX miles on it and it needs to be fresh because if i'm going to do it why not do it right. but i need help like i said i need advice, i'm going to send my PCM to wheatley once i know everything i'ma do to the truck but i wanna run 8psi w/ a S/C or around 14 psi w/ a T/C i know we have both types on this site and i want a run down by people that have them and how they feel about them. but yes i will start to post pics once it comes apart. and keep everyone updated on my build.

On a funny note i have to build my engine in my bedroom since i don't have a garage here in NC because they are aparently garage Nazi's here.

BTW i'm only looking for like 400 - 450 hp

If all you want is 400-450 HP just bolt on a supercharger kit or a turbo kit to your current motor and have fun with you truck... no need to build a motor for that kind of power. I would then take my time, do some research and build a killer motor, and when ready just drop it in. minimal down time and you truck is always available. when the new motor is ready, you can sell your current set up or bolt on what ever FI you go with to your new motor.

These motors handle 500hp with ease.

i would think you could achieve that kinda power with a tvs 1900 or 2300 or even a radix 122 with out going through all that trouble if you have done good maintenance on you truck that engine should look dam near new inside but good luck with what ever path you take

Yeah see i don't know how the guy before me maintained the truck i bought it with 71XXX miles on it and i've added a little over 1200 miles to it since i've had it but i like the idea also of buying a engine and going from there with it, i'd like to get a LS7 out of a vette and do a LS7 build or something of the sort but i dunno because a engine is going to be hella expensive or i could just pull the engine on the truck and put the truck it's self in storage and just goto town on my engine and do a complete rebuild and just make it sick... can these engines handle OVER 500hp if rebuilt from the ground up ?? all great ideas.. i didn't know i could get the power i wanted with just a S/C though...

Well, if you have worked on pre-LS engines you'll LOVE the Gen-III stuff, absolutely brilliant engineering and a joy to work on. Except replacing the starter LOL.

Cubes are out. Go FI. I'm not going to get into the umpteen reasons why, but it's the best direction to go if you really want serious power. Matter of fact, I'll say it this way - if you are going to keep the truck long term (over 5-years) get a blower.

I wouldn't touch the inside of the motor unless you know for fact that it was grossly neglected, unless you just want to see what makes one tick. Before cracking the motor I would HIGHLY recommend a leakdown test, that will tell you the exact condition of the rings & valves. But unless the valve guides are shot or the motor was run 15K between changes or it was abused with a cheap nitrous kit I wouldn't worry about it.

If all you want is under 500-hp, put a used Radix on it and call it a job done! Spend the rest of your $$$ on converter, trans, and rear-end.

You ask what a "rebuilt" motor can do - a LQ4/LQ9 can hold 550 ft-lbs on the cast pistons (550 ft-lbs at 7000-RPM is 725-horsepower!) Of course this assumes NO DETONATION your tune has to be spot-on. A professional circle-track team put a set of Dart heads on a junkyard LQ4 and reved it to failure just to see - it finally let go at 8950-RPM on the factory stock bottom-end, including factory rod bolts. If you notice there is no redline on our tachometers for a reason - the PCM will not operate above 8000-RPM. The cheap crap you have to upgrade in these motors is the valvetrain - get a cam specific for your application combined with correct springs, valvestem hardware, hardened pushrods, and LS2 timing chain and let the big dog eat.

You need to nail down some more specific goals. Do you want 13's? 12's? 11's? or just something that sounds impressive and is a "good performer"?

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Well, if you have worked on pre-LS engines you'll LOVE the Gen-III stuff, absolutely brilliant engineering and a joy to work on. Except replacing the starter LOL.

Cubes are out. Go FI. I'm not going to get into the umpteen reasons why, but it's the best direction to go if you really want serious power. Matter of fact, I'll say it this way - if you are going to keep the truck long term (over 5-years) get a blower.

I wouldn't touch the inside of the motor unless you know for fact that it was grossly neglected, unless you just want to see what makes one tick. Before cracking the motor I would HIGHLY recommend a leakdown test, that will tell you the exact condition of the rings & valves. But unless the valve guides are shot or the motor was run 15K between changes or it was abused with a cheap nitrous kit I wouldn't worry about it.

If all you want is under 500-hp, put a used Radix on it and call it a job done! Spend the rest of your $$$ on converter, trans, and rear-end.

You ask what a "rebuilt" motor can do - a LQ4/LQ9 can hold 550 ft-lbs on the cast pistons (550 ft-lbs at 7000-RPM is 725-horsepower!) Of course this assumes NO DETONATION your tune has to be spot-on. A professional circle-track team put a set of Dart heads on a junkyard LQ4 and reved it to failure just to see - it finally let go at 8950-RPM on the factory stock bottom-end, including factory rod bolts. If you notice there is no redline on our tachometers for a reason - the PCM will not operate above 8000-RPM. The cheap crap you have to upgrade in these motors is the valvetrain - get a cam specific for your application combined with correct springs, valvestem hardware, hardened pushrods, and LS2 timing chain and let the big dog eat.

You need to nail down some more specific goals. Do you want 13's? 12's? 11's? or just something that sounds impressive and is a "good performer"?

Mr. P. :)

yeah i plan on keeping the truck for over 5 years, it's been a dream to have one haha. honestly, i'm a big drag racer if you really want me to be specific i'd like to have a 10 second truck.. is that logical? probably not but that's what i'd like but i guess i'd want to run 11's if anything I love going fast ... excessive power is my best friend but at the same time i want to be able to drive it around town and do decent on gas mileage but lets put it this way, i think what i wanna do now that i've thought about it and looked at what others have said is i'm going to buy a engine and just build that... because i want a fast truck a badass truck, something that nothing else can touch on the track... so i think i'm going to look into a LSx engine and go from there with it but hearing what these engines can run in the RPM levels in insane and i notice that we didn't have a redline and i love watching it rev all the way up the 6k it's just beautiful

spray a 150 shot on it lol. ive seen ppl with a 150k miles spraying a 150 shot with no problems. i myself have a 115k on the motor and im cammed and sprayed.

i've never thought about nitrous, never been a fan of it but i might just have to look into it for what i'm wanting.

... honestly, i'm a big drag racer...

You and I are very like-minded; I will not be getting rid of my truck, but I do want something 'special'. AFA your goals, I decided I want 11.00 out of my truck and I know that is achievable, and you don't need the LSX block to do it but it doesn't hurt either. My recommendation for what you have expressed, is go turbo; either a large single or twins either will work the same but you will in the end be a lot happier -plus- done right you will have the opportunity to upsize and attempt to go 10s. Other alternatives, a Procharger race blower (F1), a professional nitrous install, or *maybe* a TVS2300 might get you there. The Turbo setup would have the most flexibility. The Turbo & TVS would have best driveability and economy.

What I would do if I were in your shoes, go ahead and get forged rods & pistons in your existing block (use stock crank) and cap it off with a GREAT set of heads with top-shelf valvetrain, that way later you can 'mature' it whatever direction you decide. Since you are keeping the truck long-term I would not be afraid to do it right and do it once, since you are not concerned with recouping your mod costs later trying to resellf the truck.

Before any of that I would address the rear diff, trans, and converter first. Those are all significant projects in and of themselves. I always advise everyone to mod from the back of the truck to the front (engine) - you end up with less busted parts that way!

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

You and I are very like-minded; I will not be getting rid of my truck, but I do want something 'special'. AFA your goals, I decided I want 11.00 out of my truck and I know that is achievable, and you don't need the LSX block to do it but it doesn't hurt either. My recommendation for what you have expressed, is go turbo; either a large single or twins either will work the same but you will in the end be a lot happier -plus- done right you will have the opportunity to upsize and attempt to go 10s. Other alternatives, a Procharger race blower (F1), a professional nitrous install, or *maybe* a TVS2300 might get you there. The Turbo setup would have the most flexibility. The Turbo & TVS would have best driveability and economy.

What I would do if I were in your shoes, go ahead and get forged rods & pistons in your existing block (use stock crank) and cap it off with a GREAT set of heads with top-shelf valvetrain, that way later you can 'mature' it whatever direction you decide. Since you are keeping the truck long-term I would not be afraid to do it right and do it once, since you are not concerned with recouping your mod costs later trying to resellf the truck.

Before any of that I would address the rear diff, trans, and converter first. Those are all significant projects in and of themselves. I always advise everyone to mod from the back of the truck to the front (engine) - you end up with less busted parts that way!

Mr. P.

Yes i agree completely, the reason is was thinking of buying a engine and building that one is i have this theory.. always have a backup... including engines because i've blown them before and been so happy that i had my old engine sitting in a garage on a engine stand covered up haha! anywho, yes i know i need to address the rear end and even the front end and probably the transfer case, i wish i could get a set up like i had on my old 79 F150 it had a bullet proof drive train... C6 tranny Dana 60 9in rear end, gear driven transfer case and dana 44 front (lim slip up front posi rear) but what can ya do right? but i wanna make my drive train behind the engine as strong as possible even if it means upgrading the tranny again i'm just throwing money at it because i believe it deserves to be used to it's full potential. the truck is capiable of so much but chevy definatley limited it with how they built it (well not limited it but didn't go all out) which is what made it a "practical" truck i might just find another LQ9 though since it'd be hella cheaper than the LSX and build it up and then drop in the modded one and put the original one in the garage at my dads house and let it just relax till it's needed it or else put it in my dads 2007 ECSB

:withstupid:

Don't forget to upgrade the trans too or get a built one, or maybe even a swap if you have the money to play with. Your goal can easily be achieved if all you want is ~500hp.

If you can give us a budget, then we can help you a bit better too. You can build a F/I, stroked, nitrous motor and make serious power if you really want and for not that much money either. What is your limit and your ultimate goal?

:withstupid:

Don't forget to upgrade the trans too or get a built one, or maybe even a swap if you have the money to play with. Your goal can easily be achieved if all you want is ~500hp.

If you can give us a budget, then we can help you a bit better too. You can build a F/I, stroked, nitrous motor and make serious power if you really want and for not that much money either. What is your limit and your ultimate goal?

Awesome, my limit in price? 10K i found a engine up in VA that i'm going to go pick up it's a rear end total Z06 Corvette my dad informed me of... not sure which engine it is but it's the 505 Hp stock engine i think? either that one or the body style prior to that one. i think that was like 450? i can't remember... ANYWHO i'm paying 1500 for it and then the 10k is my limit

Awesome, my limit in price? 10K i found a engine up in VA that i'm going to go pick up it's a rear end total Z06 Corvette my dad informed me of... not sure which engine it is but it's the 505 Hp stock engine i think? either that one or the body style prior to that one. i think that was like 450? i can't remember... ANYWHO i'm paying 1500 for it and then the 10k is my limit

well get ready to spend a few bucks on pulling her apart to swap the wheel on the crank If it is the LS7. I would buy the LS7 and flip it to grow your budget. If it is the LS6 just leave it there for 1500. Not worth it IMO.

If it is the LS7 sell it for 5K...take the extra cash and buy a nice crank, rods, and pistons.... build a 403.. (4.005 bore 4" stroke)

Callies dragon slayer crank

Callies compstar rods

and a good set of wiseco pistons with tool steel pins

and you can bet that a 403 Iron block will hold more power than the factory LS7.... and be a direct drop in without all the added BS from the relocated sensors on the LS7.

If you need a bit more information... My name is Danny and you can call me after 6pm central time. HPM

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)