New Help On Deciding On An Atv For This Summer

SSThunder

I have an 06 raptor 700R I love it its hell a fast and have all ways had a blast with it. I am now selling it I have had no time to ride it in all most 2 years. I do start it up every once in a while and tare around the trailer park I live in to keep it running. It has no more than 25 hours on it. Never raced or been abused it was tipped over once I was putting and turning and it just kinda rolled over I am selling it for 4000 I will have the title for it in about 2 weeks I sent off for it monday

shifting is fine with me. I've rode dirtbikes a lot growing up and have also rode atvs. My family seems to love them, even my mom had one lol. Now one of my cousin has it. My other cousin has a Honda Rancher 2WD(350 model I think). So I should look at 4X4's? What about kfx models? I've seen a 2006 400 model listed on craigslist for like $2,300

Oh ok, well then this really isn't a starter machine for ya. Once again that 4x4 thing will come down to where you are going to ride because the sport machines are worthless in mudd and if you are looking at anything utilitarian out of one obviously they aren't the way to go. Also does ride matter very much? The sport machines obviously are made for more aggressive riding so what you gain in handling you lose in comfort. I am bias, but for the sport machines I've ridden (Yamaha Raptor, Polaris Predator/Outlaw, Kawasaki VForce 700, and the Bombardier DS650) the ds650 outperforms as far as ride is concerned but it also weighs substantially more than the others; in a side-by-side race I can also pull away from all these machines when they are stock although I have run against a Raptor 700 only the 650.

My buddy has a Rancher and I've ridden it a few different times. For me it sits too low to the ground and my arms hang down to contact the handlebars - uncomfortable but I'm a pretty big guy so I would suggest sitting/perhaps riding any machine before purchasing.

To me consider looking at a Yamaha Wolverine or a Polaris Scrambler. The Wolverines are a decent machine, 350cc with some decent spunk, and full-time four-wheel drive. The Scrambler was made in 2 and 4 strokes for many years, but you said you were more interested in 4 so those come in a 500cc, with push button four-wheel drive. Also a nice ride.

Another thing to think about is what shops are near you? Around my area we don't have many options for shops - most are 100 miles away. Just another thought. Good luck!

Want a 4x4 that will last, and handle abuse, then I will stick with Honda, even more so, I love the metal gear transmition, which all other brands use belt systems, which I won't knock them, they have been used for ever, and used well, and is also used in snow mobiles and everything else. Honda fourtraxx series is my choice, how ever, I also have a Polaris RZR around, really don't care for that piece of junk, great in fields and open areas, but, I don't ride in any open areas. Rather just insure the darn thing and let it 'disappear' for good. Now, if you want some kick butt quads, even more so in the power department, then stick with Can-Am. The Can-Am Renage is one tough quad to beat, all around. It's a 4x4, yet it's a Sport bike, not a utility, as well as Can-Am's have the most powerful motors, hence their 800cc our performs Artic Cat's 1000cc class motor (950).

Though, none of us can actually help you.. YOU must do your research, and decide what suits YOUR needs and wishes.

Though, the Honda rides like a Caddy, and is great for long trips.

Oh ok, well then this really isn't a starter machine for ya. Once again that 4x4 thing will come down to where you are going to ride because the sport machines are worthless in mudd and if you are looking at anything utilitarian out of one obviously they aren't the way to go. Also does ride matter very much? The sport machines obviously are made for more aggressive riding so what you gain in handling you lose in comfort. I am bias, but for the sport machines I've ridden (Yamaha Raptor, Polaris Predator/Outlaw, Kawasaki VForce 700, and the Bombardier DS650) the ds650 outperforms as far as ride is concerned but it also weighs substantially more than the others; in a side-by-side race I can also pull away from all these machines when they are stock although I have run against a Raptor 700 only the 650.

My buddy has a Rancher and I've ridden it a few different times. For me it sits too low to the ground and my arms hang down to contact the handlebars - uncomfortable but I'm a pretty big guy so I would suggest sitting/perhaps riding any machine before purchasing.

To me consider looking at a Yamaha Wolverine or a Polaris Scrambler. The Wolverines are a decent machine, 350cc with some decent spunk, and full-time four-wheel drive. The Scrambler was made in 2 and 4 strokes for many years, but you said you were more interested in 4 so those come in a 500cc, with push button four-wheel drive. Also a nice ride.

Another thing to think about is what shops are near you? Around my area we don't have many options for shops - most are 100 miles away. Just another thought. Good luck!

I bag to differ on that comment sport machines are worthless in the mud I have toot my raptor 700R threw a lot of very deep mud holes and only got stuck once thanks to my buddy bogging way down in the mud hole and making it way deeper for me this mud hole was close to 200 feet long and I made it all the way but foot to the end of it. heck I have even had it up in the mountains in the snow and ran in to snowmobilers and had them ask how I got up here on that. It all on how ya throw your weight around

If you are interesed,I have a 2004 yamaha YFZ450LE,there were very few of the Limited Editions made this year,I bought it new and have riddin it very little,it is in very good shape and I will be looking to sell it soon,probably for around $3000,if you are interested I can email you some pics,I love it and hate t see it go but I don't ride near enough since I moved into town.

I didn't see it mentioned before, but have you considered the Kawasaki KFX700? I have the Kawie KFX700 and love it. Its the best of both worlds. Its a sport quad with long travel suspension, but CVT tranny and shaft drive so no chains/sprockets to service/replace. Good ground clearance. Jumps well. Does well in the mud that I ride in (I don't go for the handlebar deep holes, I try to avoid them). It works well over big rocks with the extra ground clearance (the auto tranny comes in handy too). I'm a big guy (6'1" 240lbs) and its a perfect fit for me. The seat is huge and gives me plenty of room to shift my weight around unlike alot of the 400-450cc quads. It runs close to 70 mph on the street and is one of the most stable quads I have ever ridden. My friends ride dirt bikes and they're always amazed at the places I'm able to take this thing when we get together.

This is a link that I bookmarked back when I was shopping for my quad. Its an in-depth test of the KFX700 by atvscene.com. It used to have a video, but the link didn't work when I tried it.

KFX 700 test drive

:cheers: