03 Silverado Ss Front End Noises

Hey whats going on guys I recently just bought an 03 silverado ss and i am hearing a whining and howling noise from the front of my truck. It starts usally around 30 and continues until about 60 and fades in and out. When I let my foot of the gas the noise goes away from a second but comes right back. I put the truck on a lift and ran it to the speeds where the noise usally happens and the noise did not happen at any speed. I turned the truck off and spuns the front wheels and hear a noise coming from the driveshaft where it enters the transfer case. Any suggestions just bought the truck two weeks ago and dont want to get stuck with a repair bill if i can try to get the dealer to fix this issue. I live in Massachusetts and the truck has 123k runs good and is dropped all murdered out. Please help Thanks Fred :jester:

Hey whats going on guys I recently just bought an 03 silverado ss and i am hearing a whining and howling noise from the front of my truck. It starts usally around 30 and continues until about 60 and fades in and out. When I let my foot of the gas the noise goes away from a second but comes right back. I put the truck on a lift and ran it to the speeds where the noise usally happens and the noise did not happen at any speed. I turned the truck off and spuns the front wheels and hear a noise coming from the driveshaft where it enters the transfer case. Any suggestions just bought the truck two weeks ago and dont want to get stuck with a repair bill if i can try to get the dealer to fix this issue. I live in Massachusetts and the truck has 123k runs good and is dropped all murdered out. Please help Thanks Fred :jester:

I have an 04 ss that does the howling when letting off the gas. Thr truck won't make noise on lift because there is no pressure cause of free spinning. It sounds like gears are getting wore out or your bearings. My whole housing is wore out and can grab my front driveshaft and move it an inch each way. The dealership won't stand behind it so I'm buyin a whole new front end and stick in it and be dne wit it.

This topic i asked ALL the time.

Do a search on here to get more info but it could either be your front diff

Drain the front diff fluid to see if there is metal shavings

Fredss where in mass do you live????? There is a guy on here that lives in Worcester that just rebuilt my front end.

Quote: Any suggestions just bought the truck two weeks ago and dont want to get stuck with a repair bill if i can try to get the dealer to fix this issue.

Well you better take it back to the dealer because your front diff carrier bearing is shot. Good luck getting them to shell out the money to repair it.

This topic i asked ALL the time.

Do a search on here to get more info but it could either be your front diff

Drain the front diff fluid to see if there is metal shavings

Fredss where in mass do you live????? There is a guy on here that lives in Worcester that just rebuilt my front end.

I live just north of Boston. i checked the fluid and its full didnt drain it to check for shavings. How much did you pay for the whole job?

Quote: i checked the fluid and its full didnt drain it to check for shavings.

You need to drain it. It's very easy. Draining the fluid will tell you what you want to know. Also it will help buy you some time until you get it fixed or replaced. Mine was so bad that the drain hole stopped up with chunks and had to run a screw driver into the drain hole to get the rest of the fluid out. Good luck.

I live just north of Boston. i checked the fluid and its full didnt drain it to check for shavings. How much did you pay for the whole job?

Hey fred , nice to see more local guys on here were do you live ? i am in wakefield.. chris

Edited by 1stimeSSguy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

check the clutch fan. had simular noise on an 03 ss and turned out to be the clutch fan.