front end cover

I need help guys. I drive my ss a whole lot on the highway and the rocks and insects are pounding my front end. :smash: does anyone here know if someone out there makes a front cover that will cover the bumber, grill (with mesh) and the front end of the hood. I have a 300zx where the rocks and bugs took it's toll and left me with chipped paint on the front end. I don't want that to happen to my ss. thanks for your help guys.

Nothing in mesh. About the only I know of would be a bra or Body Armor its a product made by 3M or Universal products that is clear 8mil vinyl just for that purpose I can check if they have it in the precut kit for our trucks. Let me know if your interested. I have used this before on my doorsills and my wife's Grand Am.

The application is time consuming but not difficult.

yeah, that would be cool. I was trying to find a bra for it but no one seems to make it. you know, something i could put on when i was going to go on a long drive and take off when i got to where ever i was going. if film is the only thing available then that's what i'll have to get.

We use that on the airplane at work. One thing to keep in mind is that it does turn a transperent yellow after about a year and starts to peel off around the edges. My local dealer puts it on the vets for little iver $400. Not worth it IMO.

I just put the 3M Scotchgard Protective film on the front of my Vette.

I had a custom installer put it on. But it really works. I plan on installing

it on the SS this summer.

It it costly. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Why bother. A quick repaint of the hood should only cost 250$$ why spend 400 on something that looks silly. How often do you get dings in the doors and little scratches. I go through my truck every summer and just repaint them or just use a little touch-up.

I was wanting a bra for trips also, I dont know about everyone else, but I cant afford to go and repaint($250) and have no desire to touch up(looks crappy) every summer.JMO

C.K.

A friend of mine has that clear 3m stuff on the front of his Lightning. It has held up great and you can't see it unless you really look.

I think it is a pretty good alternative to getting all the chips and having to do paint work.

Bill-03-SD

Yeah, I'm not into doing paint work every year. So, from what i understand, you have to change the film once a year or just whenever it gets yellow?

Yeah, I'm not into doing paint work every year. So, from what i understand, you have to change the film once a year or just whenever it gets yellow?

My friends is on his Silver Lightning, no yellowing yet and it has been on for over a year. It is kept in and underground parking lot, but it is his daily driver. If you live in a real hot climate and your truck is in the baking sun all day once a year would most likly be about right to have the 3m replaced.

Bill-03-SD

I have put this on mnay vehicles one is my wifes 2001 grand am so its been on for 3 years now no YELLOW. I will check prices for vehicles if you want me to since I am an installer I get the vinyl and other accessories at a discount to retail. Email me and I will se if they have it. If they do I will give you a GP on it.

yea i checked on the 3m product it seems like the way to go . they do have a warranty against yellowing and if I remember correctly it was 3yrs? also if you wax it like the rest of the truck it will get the same protection :cool: from "uv" which causes the yellowing.

CraigW......

Do you think the 3M film can be installed by novices..... or should it be

done by a professional?

I watched the professional installer do my Vette and I sure would not like to try it.

When she trimmed the edges she would just score the film and not cut all the

way through. She said this was necessary because going all the way through

would cut the paint.

She also used a mixture of alcohol and water to make the film movable on the

surface of the Vette.

What are your thoughts?

I will chime and answer some questions for everyone that seems to be on your minds.

Can the product yellow?

Yes it has in the past. Some have commented on it yellowing over time. Remeber this can depend on which generation of film you have on the car, truck or plane. 3M just released the latest version of film and it is sooooo much clearer than the last version it is amazing. What do they offer for a warranty is five years. We take that warranty and offer lifetime for cracking, fading and/or yellowing of the film for as long as YOU own the car. Some others offer this as well, but there are few.

Can my kit Peeil and lift of the film?

Yes it can. When the kit is first installed the installer has to make sure that all the edges are down or they will lift even it 1/32 of an inch is not down. If you have no problems with lifting then one day you noticed something 1 month, months or years down the road then somehow, some way something caught the edge of the kit and cuased it to lift. This will not happen on there own on vehicles. Planes and Helicopters are in a different game in the situation.

Can a novice install this product?

It is never recommended for a beginner to install the product and let the pro's do it. You pay what you get sort of speak. Sometimes that is not always possible. I would recommend if someone is going to install the kit that should have patience and very good problem solving skills. To install the hood and fenders on the truck is a lot easier than the bumper and to stay away from black unless you know what you are doing. It shows everything if you make a mistake. Flatter surfaces are easier than curves and stretches.

Prices can vary based upon coverage, warranty and what company you purchase from. Prices for the full kit start at $250 and go up to $500.

Hopefully this will give you some insight on the product.

You can also check with a couple of members that have purchased the kit or had it installed for their opinions.

dougss_500.jpg

3622_280.gif

Archived