Manifold test CHP

Exactly. Look at the graph overlay. The truck does fine down low and in the nid range, but in the upper range, you start seeing it fall off. This comparison was on a completely stock engine. WIth an engine running heads and cam, I'd expect the LS6 /LSx intakes to really pull away from the truck intake in the upper rpms. The stock motors have shifts in the upper 5000 rpms, while a heads cam motor may need shifts in the mid 6000 rpms.

I was glad to see the truck holding in that well down low.

i think the truck does have alot of room for improvement with a cutting tool after loking over the pictures from a while back on the other board. (i believe posted by you tex?)

Forced induction and naturally aspirated are two completely different animals. Jamming 14psi down an intake would completely distort flow numbers. Runner length, tuned ports, scavaging, etc... would have less effect on the system. parish8 is also running a stock exhaust manifold... does that make them better than long tubes?

Yeah Zippy, those were my intake pictures.

i think the truck intake makes good poewr, but has room for improvemet with other intake choices. on the other hand, i think i'm going to try to modify one soon and put it on a test truck for the hell of it. i think there is alot of room for improvment on that truck intake. i do agree though, boosted applications don't much care about intake design as much as it does port volume and chamber size (what i call the area before the port begins for lack of an easier to explain term). the car intake would spool up quicker on his truck, but overal hp would be fairly close to the same.

no but i doubt that a small cam and bolt ons are going to outflow the truck intake are they.

No they wouldn't, but then your definition of a small cam and mine is slightly different. You wouldn't catch me installing a stock LS1 cam as a performance mod: http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=3573

If you want to get 275hp to the rear wheels, stick with the truck intake. If you want 375hp....

i want to try a ls6 myself. just dont wanrt to lose much and then have to redo everything again.

im wondering if it will help me. with a 216-220-525-532-114

6400 1-2 and 6200 2-3. long tubes are on the way. lemme know your opinion big tex. thanks.

Hopefully the magazine will do a quick followup article and test all the intakes again on a motor with at least a fair sized cam. Heads and cam would be better. Then we would have a little glimpse of the stock power profile and modded profile for each intake.

Did you see the actual actual pictures from the magazine? Low and mid range power were fairly close with each intake. When the rpms got high towards peak hp, you could see the truck intake start making some distinct power dips that the LS6 / LSx intake didn't have. Since that was on a stock LS1 cam, power started falling quickly for all intakes. If it were an aftermarket cam that could pull to the mid 6000s, it looks like the truck intake would be in trouble. Thats just my 2 cents, so I hope to see a followup article.

One of the only examples I can point to is Blacksheep on the tech site. He was kinds secretive about his stuff, but I was able to get some info out of him. He was running a LQ9 motor with ported heads and a mid 220s cam. He dynoed in the 380ish range on the truck intake, then after swapping to the LS6 intake, he put down over 410 I think. He claims to have gained several tenths with only the intake swap. With his cam and ported heads, the added power from the LS6 intake gained from 5000 - 6500 made a difference.

Last half of this thread: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125261

well to tell you the truth i think it would help.that is where the cam seems to pull the best. and if it is extra flow from around 5000 and up then thats 1400 rpm's that i will benefit with it. and maybe it will help with my third gear in the quarter mile to. thanks.

Archived