Tuning The Sss?

edgarss44

whats up everybody! i have been thinking about maybe getting my truck tuned but want to now some real world numbers for a mostly stock truck? all i have on my truck is a AEM intake and a super 40 muffler. i have some questions??? is it going to use more fuel then stock? will it effect daily driving? will i need to upgrade anything becuse of the new tune? will i even feel a differance since im mostly stock? and most importantly who to get it from? basiclly i want to know everything about the subject! LOL! oh yeah allmost forgot i have a 06 sss 2wd. any info would be great.....thanks! :cheers:

whats up everybody! i have been thinking about maybe getting my truck tuned but want to now some real world numbers for a mostly stock truck? all i have on my truck is a AEM intake and a super 40 muffler. i have some questions??? is it going to use more fuel then stock? will it effect daily driving? will i need to upgrade anything becuse of the new tune? will i even feel a differance since im mostly stock? and most importantly who to get it from? basiclly i want to know everything about the subject! LOL! oh yeah allmost forgot i have a 06 sss 2wd. any info would be great.....thanks! :cheers:

Welcome :cheers: 1st. it is a must to post pics......

Getting your SSS custom tuned is about the best bang for your money. You are off to a good start w/ a CAI and catback exhaust. I would get a 160* T-stat installed before getting tuned. Best est. is that you will pick-up 25+ WHP with a tune. I would search/read as much as you can and check out the Venders here (can't really say one is better then the other).

:withstupid: Couldn't agree more, definitely the best bang for your buck. You will not use more fuel, in fact you may pick up 1-2mpg. You will absolutely feel a noght and day difference in power, and it will effect you daily commute.........you will want to go WOT every chance you get! :dry: FWIW, I picked up 20HP and 18 Ft Lbs at the rear wheels with Charlie Wheatley's tune over a Hypercrap programmer. :thumbs:

definitely get a custom tune, and like JF-03-SS said go ahead and throw in a 160* stat to get a little more out of it and keep things running nice and cool. I love my Wheatley tune and could tell a huge difference with it. Tune or not you should run premium fuel in these trucks...

your supposed to run 91-93 octane regardless in the LQ9, you can have your tune tweaked for 93 or 91 if thats what you mean.....

edit-sorry zachm89, was trying to get the same point across about premium octane but you beat me by a minute :chevy:

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

thanks everybody! im going to look into getting a 160 stat and a custom tune. yeah this truck has never tasted anything but 91 her whole life! im glad that its not going to affect the smog testing becuse its a real pain her in cali! lol! i still dont now who to have it tuned by yet? how long does it take to install the new pcm? soory about all the questions guys! i just want to do things right!

thanks everybody! im going to look into getting a 160 stat and a custom tune. yeah this truck has never tasted anything but 91 her whole life! im glad that its not going to affect the smog testing becuse its a real pain her in cali! lol! i still dont now who to have it tuned by yet? how long does it take to install the new pcm? soory about all the questions guys! i just want to do things right!
i live in socal and have a really great tuner in anahiem...i was totally stock when i got my tune it was the first mod i did i believe i paid 300 and any retune is free and when i add more stuff he will dyno it for like 200 more......he tunes westcoast customs stuff and has done stuff for chip foose....he specializes in gm trucks.....he is the best tuner imo, i couldnt be happier with the tune :cheers: where u located?? dont let just anyone tune ur truck either because they can do alot of damage if they dont know what they r doin.....let me know if u wanna use my guy Edited by bruiser04 (see edit history)

i live in socal and have a really great tuner in anahiem...i was totally stock when i got my tune it was the first mod i did i believe i paid 300 and any retune is free and when i add more stuff he will dyno it for like 200 more......he tunes westcoast customs stuff and has done stuff for chip foose....he specializes in gm trucks.....he is the best tuner imo, i couldnt be happier with the tune :cheers: where u located?? dont let just anyone tune ur truck either because they can do alot of damage if they dont know what they r doin.....let me know if u wanna use my guy

All of the venders on here are great and i love my wheatley mail order tune but if you can get a live tune, it's the best way to go. IMO

Ive seen stock truck's just with cai and exhaust run low 14's with tune only so dropping a second in a 1/4 mile time is superb although all trucks vary.
do u know what a stock silvy nott ss runs....just interested....planing on gettin new headers and a shift kit, retune, and track....so far all i have is a tune and some shorty headers and new plug wires

my ss no tune with a custom cai electric cutouts flowcrappers and 80K on the odometer ran a 14.8 at 89.04 mph in 08. No spare No trailer hitch. Just to give you an Idea..

nice thanks i took my hitch off but with my luck as soon as i pull the tire i will get a flat :M16: