An Interesting Note About My Warranty Claim

I've made a few posts in this forum about this topic recently but the end of the story is GM agreed to replace my very loud and defective right side cat. The only question I have left is what they put on the invoice. They put:

Cause:

L2300 (1H) 1.5

BACK PRESSURE WAS HIGH AT 3

SPEC IS 1.25

Do they actually have the means to 'measure' backpressure? I find this odd.

Regards,

Dan :chevy:

I've made a few posts in this forum about this topic recently but the end of the story is GM agreed to replace my very loud and defective right side cat. The only question I have left is what they put on the invoice. They put:

Cause:

L2300 (1H) 1.5

BACK PRESSURE WAS HIGH AT 3

SPEC IS 1.25

Do they actually have the means to 'measure' backpressure? I find this odd.

Regards,

Yes they measure backpressure at cat monitor, unscrew sensor and screw in gauge

Exactly as he said. Any dealer doing their job right will measure the back pressure pre-cat and post-cat to check for a problem with a cat that they suspect is bad.

Here's the interesting part for me. I take it in on Monday with a loud rattle that I can't find where it's coming from. They charge me about 1 hour shop time to tell me the loud rattle is internal to the right side cat. They don't tell me it's potentially under warranty. Thanks to the guys here I find out it is. I go back to see them on Tuesday and they say they're not replacing it unless it throws a code related to the cat or causes a 'driveability issue'. I tell them that I've had a driveability (substantially reduced mileage and throttle response) issue I've been trying to figure out for the last couple of months. They say too bad and go on to describe a driveability issue as all the way from 'very noticeable' to the vehicle is 'undriveable'. I get pissed off and leave and as a stroke of good luck for me I'm redlining it going onto the highway on the way home and I get a flashing CES light and the truck starts running rough for a second. I turn around and go back to the dealer and say well I just threw a code now and ask to see the shop foreman. He puts his OBDII machine and tells me I had a misfire in cyls 2 and 6. I ask him if thats on the right side of the motor and he doesn't say anything. Well, after some 'discussion' he relents and agrees to replace the cat. So I take it in on Wednesday and they replace the cat. BTW if I had paid the bill it would've been close to $1k for the replacement of a single right side cat.

What I find funny is they didn't do this pre and post cat pressure test when they charged me $60 to tell me my cat was bad. They only did the test when they were replacing it under warranty.

BTW. My truck is running alot better now.

Regards,