Underpowered?

mike02HD

You have to remember that the Lightning is a Limited Production Vehicle. By definition, this means that the production is limited by Ford. Also, only SVT dealers can sell one (it is not cheap to be an SVT dealer).

Those of us who own Lightnings like the fact that not every Joe Blow on the block has one.

Our '01 Lightning is number 1074 of 6381 for the '01 model year.

You have to understand, there is no advertising of SVT vehicles, for the most part....... and no incentives are EVER applied to them (no rebates, and no special financing). However, SVT does make a profit....... in and of themselves. This can explain how, after 8 years of Lightning production (93-95 and 99+), many people have still never heard of it.

They each have their market...... and fill it well. They are different approaches to filling niches in the marketplace. I seriously doubt you are going to see huge sales numbers for the SS either. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the vehicle is.

You have to remember that the Lightning is a Limited Production Vehicle. By definition, this means that the production is limited by Ford. Also, only SVT dealers can sell one (it is not cheap to be an SVT dealer).

Those of us who own Lightnings like the fact that not every Joe Blow on the block has one.

Our '01 Lightning is number 1074 of 6381 for the '01 model year.

You have to understand, there is no advertising of SVT vehicles, for the most part....... and no incentives are EVER applied to them (no rebates, and no special financing). However, SVT does make a profit....... in and of themselves. This can explain how, after 8 years of Lightning production (93-95 and 99+), many people have still never heard of it.

They each have their market...... and fill it well. They are different approaches to filling niches in the marketplace. I seriously doubt you are going to see huge sales numbers for the SS either. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the vehicle is.

everything you said applies to the SS too, except the rebates and things like that apply to them and they are expected to produce about 15000 or something, i think it will end up being less. They are a limited production vehicle as well

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly was the reasoning for chevy building the SS? I know it wasn't designed to compete with the Lightning. My friend's blown Harley F150 stickered for 38k and runs low 14's, install a lightning pulley and you got 13's. SS's sticker for 40k and run low 15's? high 14's? I'm not doggin the SS, I think its an awesome truck, with more potential than most trucks in production. With the AWD system what kind of 60ft and 1/8th mile times are ya'll gettin too?

What exactly was the reasoning for chevy building the SS? I know it wasn't designed to compete with the Lightning. My friend's blown Harley F150 stickered for 38k and runs low 14's, install a lightning pulley and you got 13's. SS's sticker for 40k and run low 15's? high 14's? I'm not doggin the SS, I think its an awesome truck, with more potential than most trucks in production. With the AWD system what kind of 60ft and 1/8th mile times are ya'll gettin too?

I'm not dogging any other trucks either. Chevys exact reasoning to build the SS was simple. They wanted to build the best all round sport truck on the planet and they did it :D:thumbs:

I went in to trade my 2001 2500hd 8.1L 2 wheel drive for a new 4 wd and saw the SS. I bought it on the spot. Besides the looks and performance it was the AWD that did it. I'm in the sand business in So Florida and at work got stuck constantly. Now I drive in my yard thru 8 inches and deeper loose sugar sand no problem. Also can pull out my 25ft boat on a dead low tide with a slimmy boat ramp. My 2500 could not do any of that. SS does it all for me and has the power to get me in trouble to boot!

I think the power is sufficient.

The last time I went 140 MPH was taxying on a runway.

IMHO there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to high horsepower and high speed.

Give me ooks, comfort and performance in a balanced package and I'm happy...hence buying this truck...my first truck ever after a lifetime of high performance cars, Chevy and otherwise.

Everyone who owns an SS has a great vehicle waiting for them in the morning, after work, to run for milk...diapers...

Well said TJ Mack! Most people forget about the handling on these trucks. The stock HP with the AWD is a great balance IMHO...after all, life is not lived in a straight line - it throws you a few curves along the way!

...give him a minute and Zippy will be along with another one of his gems of wisdom...

The handling is one of the things that I love about my Lightning.

When I first test drove my '94 Lightning, I thought the power was impressive (about as fast as the SS).......... and it certainly was for it's day. However, what blew me away was the handling. No vehicle of that size had any right to handle that well. The Lightning would pull .88G's......... and a Mustang GT would only pull .85G's.

The handling is what sold me on the truck.

The new L handles just as good, but it is so smooth, that it is more isolating. My '94 would talk to you............ you knew exactly what the suspension was doing at all times. In that respect, it was very much like driving a sports car. I miss that........ in the '01.

The world throws you a few curves now and then (of course, I go looking for them. :D ), you might as well have something to drive that isn't just fun in a straight line.

Archived