Underpowered?

mike02HD

:chevy: Some may say the SS is dramatically underpowered for its competition. The HEMI Ram puts out 345hp...stock. And the SVT Lightning has a supercharged 5.4L makin 390hp(not sure). Chevy has outdone itself with the SS already, but it needs more power. Maybe upgrading the 6.0 to a 8.1L, or adding a supercharger will do the trick. Am I right? :chevy:

wow, your the first person to notice this.

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

LOL, No kidding.

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON................hell just look around, there are no less than 20 threads in this forum discussing this very topic.

And the Hemi-Ram is not the SS's competition, the SRT-10 WOULD be if thats what the SS was aimed at, but since its NOT neither the SRT-10 nor the Lightning are the SS's competition.

Maybe upgrading the 6.0 to a 8.1L, or adding a supercharger will do the trick. Am I right? :chevy:

By my calculations, adding a supercharger should produce Lightning like 1/4 mile times. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

I just spent 40K on an ss!! SO i say screw ford screw dodge and all the power to GM. The pros of the ss won me over and GM gets my dollar!! If anyone else wants to talk about the ford or dodge again than please do it on another site! Thank you for your attention......NOW you are DISMISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spent 40K on an ss!! SO i say screw ford screw dodge and all the power to GM. The pros of the ss won me over and GM gets my dollar!! If anyone else wants to talk about the ford or dodge again than please do it on another site! Thank you for your attention......NOW you are DISMISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right on! :thumbs:

The SS is badass hands down. As far as that Hemi truck I raced one the other day. A part time guy who helps my painter has one. He said it was an extended cab but it had four real doors on it. It had alittle Hemi badge by the door. Anyway everyone in the shop was talking up the race so we lined up at about 10pm so nobody was on our street ( IT is a Industrial Park)

We already had a 1/8 mile marked in the street for some friendly Camaro racing needless to say the SS busted his ass by about a Truck and half. No big deal but I just want to let everyone know the Hemi aint shit. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Actually, I think the lightning has 380 hp. But that is besides the point. The point is the SS is a much more user friendly truck, can haul people, can haul cargo, can tow trailers, can be driven when raining or snowing. So when it is middle of January, 2 feet of snow has just fallen, you can drive by the houses of srt and lightning owners laughing out the window asking "can your truck come out to play? :lol:

I could not agree more. In my first post I mentioned that I chose the SS over the other two sport trucks because it was what it was - an extended cab with everything I wanted in a "sport truck." Period. The Lightening is an awesome vehicle but, bottom line, it's not practical at all. If I had just wanted something fast that only sat two (and had little to no room for anything else inside) I'd have purchased a Porsche Boxster or some other true sports car. I wanted a truck and trucks need to "do things" (occasionally :jester: ) like haul cargo, people and tow trailers. And if they can do that "quickly" all the better.

Early review - I have driven this for three weeks now and can honestly say that I made the right decision. I love just about everything about the SS. Do I wish it was supercharged (or at least offered one as an option)? Yes. Do I wish it had shocks that I could control from the cabin (firm or comfort)? Yes. Other than those two things, I'm a happy guy and you know what, I can add the supercharger which makes an almost perfect truck even better (for my needs). :cool:

I read in some magazine article that Chevy deliberately designed this knowing full well what their competition was doing. In brief, they wanted to bring a truck to market that was different than the other two. More practical than the other two. They did that and, IMHO, they did it very well.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Put a check in the box next to my name that says "satisfied customer." :D

Im not a silverado SS owner, or a Lightning owner, or even a hemi owner. But I do love trucks... silverados in particular.

I guess many people could say im a day dreamer... often thinking wow if I did this to it or how about this or that.

I like extended cab trucks, and I like the clean look of no black or chrom trim around the wheel wells and all that.

So if I had the money to pony up some dough for a 40K truck the Silverado SS would be it because it has everything I like in a truck, except the AWD. AWD doesnt tickle my fancy I guess because I live in california. The worst weather we get up here is medium pore of rain. The lightning would come a close second.. (meeting all my needs except the extended cab) and the extended cab Dakota RT a close 3rd.. thats right no full size Dodge truck for me.. no offense to any that have one.

I dont get all this underpowered talk because we are talking about a 5000+pound truck with a natural aspirated small block running the 1/4 mile in mid to low 15s.

So the way I see it... its a very adequately powered truck.

Yeah its not the 475HP SS firebreathing concept we all wanted, but lets face it, GM prefers to make a truck that will appeal to a much broader group of customers. Ones that want a good tow rating, good payload rating, and good size box for all the stuff they want to haul, and at home in any kind of weather int he U.S. . The SS concept doesnt meet any of the stuff I just mentioned.

Could GM be dropping the ball on the performance truck industry?

that seems to be the question of many these days... but considering Ford (performance truck leader) produces about (and probably sells) 5000 lightnings a year... one has to wonder... is there really even a ball?

Archived