How to drain coolant? Neatly.

marc_w

Can anyone tell me how they neatly drain the coolant from their truck?

I see the typical drain spout that you attach a hose to, on the lower part on the driver side of the radiator, but I don't know how to "turn it on". I couldn't feel the little levers or handles that are usually attached to those things.

I'd rather not just pull a hose and have the coolant go all over the place.

Thanks!

Thanks Slim!

I see the nipple piece coming off the bottom, and pointing to the side. I then see a round thing sticking out, pointing back to the firewall. It's at a 90* angle to the nipple, and I don't think it's moveable... it looks like something that was just cast into the composite material for unknown reasons.

Is the knob just like the old style radiator drains - like a wingnut around the nipple? I couldn't feel anything down there.

Just for everyones Info,

I have an 04 and i do not have a drain plug on my radiator. so I just had to yank the lower hose off and put a bucket under it. I think that it is stupid they got rid of it, i hate the big mess.

That would make more sense...

This thing I think is a nipple is VERY hard to get to, and I can only see part of it when I basically dive head first into the engine compartment and try to headbutt the computer.

It's on the very bottom of the drivers side composite tank on the radiator. It points directly at the drivers side of the truck. (it's pointing to a 9:00 position from the drivers seat). There "feels" like there is 3/8-1/2" of clearance around it?

I don't see/feel anything similar on the passenger side composite tank.

On my '03 there is a drain plug. There is no 'clean' route for the fluid to drain, get a very wide pan to catch it. We strained mine through coffee filters when we refilled the radiator, it picked up all kinds of trash when it was draining. Took awhile, but no reason to waste it.

WW :smash:

The radiators are supposed to come with a drain hose attached to the nipple'd fitting sticking out of the driver's side of the radiator located at the bottom. They may have stopped putting on the drain hoses. I went to the dealership and had them look a radiator for a '99 and bought the drain hose that way. There is even a little loop molded into the radiator just above the fitting to hold the hose.

The draincock valve is located on the bottom corner, driver's side. It is similar to a valve with only a slender piece of plastis to grab a hold of to open it. Just do it from the bottom - the only way I've ever been able to get to it without trouble.

Okay, I got a good look at things last night.

I have the hoop for the hose, the nipple at the bottom corner of the radiator, but no hose, and no valve system.

I assume the small round cylinder facing the firewall is what's supposed to house the valve. Mine's completely hollow. The nipple basically attaches right onto it. I assume they just stopped drilling these things out and installing functioning valves. (great!!)

Okay, I got a good look at things last night.

I have the hoop for the hose, the nipple at the bottom corner of the radiator, but no hose, and no valve system.

I assume the small round cylinder facing the firewall is what's supposed to house the valve. Mine's completely hollow. The nipple basically attaches right onto it. I assume they just stopped drilling these things out and installing functioning valves. (great!!)

I reached the same conclusion and ended up pulling the radiator hose.

I did not have a drain plug. The dealership said that trucks without the towing package still have them but trucks with towing do not. Then I got the riot act about how it never needed to be changed. I explained to him that it actually got acidic like a battery after 25k miles or so... and our conversation was done. They don't like still after they dumped my vette of their lift and replaced it with this truck.

Anyway, no drain plug for me. I used a wide piece of cardboard to catch as much as possible and I too used a coffee filter to strain it going back in. Was dirty with small chunks everywhere.

Archived