How to drain coolant? Neatly.

marc_w

I don't have a drain plug on my 03 SS ... only changed it once since it was new... they did a flush at the quick lube place.. now they want $150 to do it again... so I'm gonna have to get messy it looks like! lol... I put a Volant CAI on my truck and it makes access to the lower hose almost impossible... Anyone have any tips or tricks?

I just went through this exercise. I HATE changing coolant it's messy and is on the top of my list of things I hate to do along with rotating tires..... Anyways I have learned over years to just do in drive way as its gonna go everywhere so when I'm done I can wash off the vehicle and drive way with a lot of water. My catch basin got at best about a third of what was in it. No good way on these but to remove lower hose and watch it go everywhere! You can see spot on the rad where the petcock used to be but my guess is they eliminated due to cost and leaks.... It just makes servicing a bear.... ( mine is a 06 btw)

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a funnel with a wide neck and it fit perfectly into overflow bottle. I filled slowly until it read full on bottle. Start and let get up to temp and wait for t-stat to open and then add more fill until it quits taking and top bottle off. I let run (idle) for a while with cap off to make sure all the air is out of the system. Test drive and enjoy.... Just don't forget to put cap back on first. I would also recommend replacing the cap as they go bad over time also.

Archived