Polish Vs. Wax

well i guess i cant say anything on peformance wise because ive never used a flex. but im sure its aweseome, but the pc is the safest machine to use for guys just starting out on doing there own paint correction. its a worry free workhorse that will get the same results as the flex but might take abit longer. i wouldnt see any need to jump right up to a flex unless your detailing cars all the time, just my opinion i might be wrong but its just what i know, ive seen pics of your truck and it does a great job, i guess its personal preference when it comes to tools right.

I'll agree with you on the PC being the safest machine. However, the Flex might require more research and respect but seriously, you would have to take the most aggresive pad and polish to do some serious damage. I have actually seen threads on autopia.org where guys have burned through the clearcoat with a PC, so it is possible.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i'm not backwards on this one. You would have to be a complete idiot to "wreck" your paint with the flex. The Flex was actually the first polisher I have used, period. I am not the smartest person, but I did some simple research and did not have a single problem. I guess I can't say the same for the rest.

The primary difference between the 2 machines is the rotation of the head, while they both oscillate the flex has a forced/driven rotation where the PC does not. This does give the flex more 'bite' and you could very easily go right thru thin paint on an edge with it.

As with anything understanding the process and how to properly use the tool is the most important part. A saying I have always stuck by is:

It is the inferior craftsman that blames his tools

Or in other words its the person doing the work and how they use the tools, not the tools.

I have contemplated adding the flex to my stable of tools, but to be honest I have yet to find the paint problem on my cars that can't be corrected with the PC and the right technique. The flex is a great tool, but another thing to keep in mind is they are not without their service issues. My friend has 2 flex machines now... hes had to send one in so many times for service that he caved and bought another so he would't be down. Purely anecdotal but its just my experience. Both my PC 7424 and PC 7424xp with literally hundreds of hours of polish on each have never given me a single problem in all the years I've had them.