Polish Vs. Wax

So i ran into a guy the other day that restores cars for a living. He told me that I should not use Wax on my truck I should only use polish.

He said that wax will get way to hot here in the Arizona sun, and can actually cause the paint to bake especially on a black truck.

He said that polish actually has air bubbles in it whish will keep the paint from getting as hot.

Is this guy just blowing smoke out his ass or is there truth in it?

I was planning on waxing my truck this next week and i was wondering

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i ran into a guy the other day that restores cars for a living. He told me that I should not use Wax on my truck I should only use polish.

He said that wax will get way to hot here in the Arizona sun, and can actually cause the paint to bake especially on a black truck.

He said that polish actually has air bubbles in it whish will keep the paint from getting as hot.

Is this guy just blowing smoke out his ass or is there truth in it?

I was planning on waxing my truck this next week and i was wondering

LMAO!! Please post the name and contact information for this supposed career car restorer so that we can ensure NO ONE ever goes to him for work or advice. There are so many things wrong with what he told you that he has no business owning a car let alone restoring them.

A proper paint care regiment includes cleaning, prepping, polishing, and waxing/sealing the paint. If you followed his advice your paint would not only look horrible, it would begin to oxidize and fail especially in the harsh conditions you guys see out in arizona.

Allow me to define (loosely) what products do so you can better understand the process:

Polishes are used to correct the finish. They can vary in grits/abrasive's depending on their intended use but generally all polishes do the same thing, remove swirls, scratches, oxidation, light surface contamination etc. Polishes offer zero protection to the finish and will generally remove waxes or sealants. Some polishes will leave behind trace elements of oils or other byproducts, but for the most-part polishes leave your paint naked.

Waxes are used to enhance gloss and protect the paint. People generally don't understand the differences between glazes, waxes, and sealant... but in a nutshell they are all intended as products that will protect and/or add shine to the finish. If you choose not to use some type of protective product on your finish the paint is vulnerable and can be subjected to all manner of damage. His line about "baking" is utter BS... you're paint is gonna get hot no matter what... waxes or sealants will protect it from oxidation, UV damage, etching and all manner of problems. Having wax on your finish when the sun is out is actually something you WANT contrary to what this moron told you.

In a nut shell - Polishes are CORRECTIVE, waxes are PROTECTIVE. You need both for your paint.

If you see this "expert" again feel free to kick him in the nuts.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

check out zaino products in my opinion they are the best. use a polish for getting all the contaminates off of the paint. i use z2 for final finish it holds up really well. i have had z2 on my truck for 6 years now and the paint looks like new.

here we go again dylan i read your other argument against zaino on the camaro site, is it going to start again on this site hahah, anyways i would go with adams products very aweseom easier system to use and very very great products. also the best customer service, f you dont think what you got from adams is very good they will refund you 110 percent of what you bought including shipping so you actually make money on them. the best way to go :thumbs:

I actually ordered some polishes from Adams the other day.................. :cheers: .............Hoping to get the chance to try them out this weekend......I've tried Zaino in the past, and was happy with it but it's time to take it up a notch........ :chevy: .....................