Installing A Trailer Hitch

KDUB10

I just bought a nitro bass boat and i am in need of putting a hitch on my truck to tow it. Can anyone tell me exactly what i will need in order to do this because i dont believe i have the plugs either for the electric brakes on the trailer?

I just bought a nitro bass boat and i am in need of putting a hitch on my truck to tow it. Can anyone tell me exactly what i will need in order to do this because i dont believe i have the plugs either for the electric brakes on the trailer?

I put a factory GM class 3 hitch on my '03, very easy install, all the frame mounting holes were there from the factory, no drilling needed, the wiring for the trailer plug was already wired in as well, it was taped to the rear wiring harness.

alright i looked for my wiring and i can not find it i can find a 7 pin plug? do i need an adaptor and there is actually a little wire next to it that looks like it just has a little wire tap on it or w.e. i found the wires actually clipped to the main wire harness above the spare tire. Do i need to wire a 4 pin harness or get an adapter to go from the 7 prong plug thing to a 4 prong plug that i need. Sorry im a little new with the whole trailer thing

alright i looked for my wiring and i can not find it i can find a 7 pin plug? do i need an adaptor and there is actually a little wire next to it that looks like it just has a little wire tap on it or w.e. i found the wires actually clipped to the main wire harness above the spare tire. Do i need to wire a 4 pin harness or get an adapter to go from the 7 prong plug thing to a 4 prong plug that i need. Sorry im a little new with the whole trailer thing

Which hitch did you get? Your local Chevy dealer sells the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, it's like $15.....

Where you found that 7 Pin, should be a box there, which you can have the 4-Pin and 7-pin wired at the same time. I got the 4-pin installed, and the 7-pin.

If you want to add a trailer brake controler, and equipt the trailer if it doesn't, use the 7-pin, since it's ready for the brakes, and reverse lights on the trailer.

It also depends on the boat trailer wires. Does it have the 4 or 5 pin flat connector? I know my older Champion had the standard 4 pin flat but my new Champion has the 5 pin flat. The only difference between the 2 is the 5 pin adds an extra wire that disables the trailer breaks when you put it in reverse so you can back up inclines without the breaks locking up.

I didnt want to use the adaptor so I hard wired mine. Behind the license plate you will find the 4 wires, Green, Yellow, Brown and White. They should be capped off. My 5th trailer wire on my Champion is blue, its for the breaks as I mentioned. I just tapped into my reverse light wire that way it will disengage my trailer breaks when I put it in reverse.

Here's a link that should help.

Wire Diagram

Edited by Champion210 (see edit history)