17Yr Old + Sss + Prom =?

detjoe

Prom Ride  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your son take modded SSS to prom

I voted No but I am torn on this...Like what was said..you know your son..we don't...Its a big night for him...if he has not shown behavior in the past then maybe you should consider it...BUT if your asking us then i think you've already made your desicion and are just looking for re assurance.

I Voted yes. We like to think of our trucks as some diety worthy of worship, and I do love my truck! But its just a truck in the end.

I remember my prom back in '87. My parents had an '86 Monte Carlo SS. The car was maroon with the '81 Z-28 wheels. I still have a thing for them cars to this day. My folks let me take it to my prom and I was in hog heaven although I did drive it fairly regularly. My car was a hail damaged 84 Camaro with peeling paint, so the image improvement was substantial.

The value of your sons memories from this experience will far exceed the monetary value of your truck. I guarantee it. I know its hard to get past the personal connection to your truck, but its also an opportunity to test/gain trust between father and son. Everything else you have insurance for. Just set lots of rules up front. Lots of verbal banter will assure that there are no misunderstandings about your expectations. :cheers:

I say yes and no. I would let my (future) kid drive what ever i have. since i trucks are my hobby my kids will grow up the same.

I only say no because of the running conditon of the truck. If you cant fix it before the prom and he is on his head to drive it then take him for driving lessions in it and follow a few cars behind so you can swap it out at the school once he goes in. Parents used to go to the school and take pictures as kids go into the school.

iamwithstupid.gif

I was fortunate to be allowed to drive all of my dads sick cars growing up, and while I did hot rod a bit in some, I think I am a better driver for it. My dad had just bought a charger SRT8 before my sr prom so thats what I took, luckily nothing happened to it. I was told that I could keep it there the entire time but as soon as I left the car had to be returned home before I could start drinking or else shit would hit the fan. If you feel you can trust your son, I say fix the stalling issues and let him take it. Yes, he will probably accelerate quickly and show it off as much as possible, but I am sure he knows what a privilege driving your SS is if he has not been able to touch it thus far. No sane kid in their right mind would misbehave in this situation because he will want to be able to drive it again in the future. Bottom line: if he is a confident driver and in no way resembles the way grandparents drive then let him take it.

It's hard to answer without knowing your son. Only you do. Now, my HS prom, we could either drive, or be dropped off at the front door, where all the pictures where taken and such, as a 'red carpet' affair. Though, the vehicles were valet parked, though 95% of the 'nice' rides weren't valet parked, but rather one parent picked it up. You are going to be there for pictures anyway. Once nightfalls happen, the look at me aspect ends, and stupidity begins. Though, remember, there is going to be a couple of hours of peer pressure at the prom, so it'll start long before the drive home, or to the after prom, and even after that. So, I guess I do the vote yes/no combo, though make him wait for the senior, not junior :D

don't do it. I drove my girlfriends parents cars in 1994 & 95(Supra and Celica) and I got both of them up over a 100 mph just for the fun of it. Kids are stupid and I'd never trust any car with a high HP car/truck.

whats wrong with a limo? it's classy, fun, and safe.

it costs $$ and I am budget minded to a fault :)

we (I ) decided not to let him. I will get this stall tuned out and get him some seat/track time b4 I let him take it next year for HIS senior prom.

He will get the tundra crew max, much bigger back seat :) And if anything happends it was a faulty gas petal :)

thanks guys....I needed to show my wife I was not the only one who did not think it was the best idea, and if anything I think I will get out with him and the SSS more now so I wont be so worried, PLUS It will give us a chance to bong a little :) :gay:

uh no and hell no. Prom is show off night he will roast the tires and leave a mess in the back seat. Think back when you were that age would your dad let you drive his 1970 chevelle 454ss HELL NO HE WOULDNT if he had one