Drag Setup

stroked out

ok I posted here a while ago about drag radials and rims for the track. I wanted to know if there were any cheap alternatives for rims to run with drag radials? I've been looking around and I cant find any cheap rims for a drag setup. I don't want to spend to much for just drag rims. Do you guys have any ideas on what rim will hold a 305/45/18 drag radial.

thanks,

Chase runs that tire on Centerline 18x9" IIRC

yeah he posted that on my last post. I got a price from a shop near me and they want 400 a rim. Is that to much? I was thinking alot cheaper than that for rims just for drag use.

thatsa about right for the correct offset and being a 9.5 wide is the hard part . most that are that wide are made in the wrong offset/back space and are usually for a lifted truck .

i may be selling my setup in a while depending on how it runs with the 22's on bfg's.

Chase, I think you and I are thinking alike. Find a good light rim you can use both at the track and the DD and be done with it. Changing wheels gets old quick and unless you are making a big change in tire diameter and weight, its not a huge difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Chase, I think you and I are thinking alike. Find a good light rim you can use both at the track and the DD and be done with it. Changing wheels gets old quick and unless you are making a big change in tire diameter and weight, its not a huge difference.

OK I have another question. I know that diameter and weight wont make much of a difference but lets say for arguments sake you don't have much traction even with awd. wouldn't the slicks on all four corners still help out? due to the gain in traction of the line? I posted a video not to long ago of my truck from a dead stop and you can hear the wheel spin in the video.

OK I have another question. I know that diameter and weight wont make much of a difference but lets say for arguments sake you don't have much traction even with awd. wouldn't the slicks on all four corners still help out? due to the gain in traction of the line? I posted a video not to long ago of my truck from a dead stop and you can hear the wheel spin in the video.

actually weight makes a huge difference . diameter will just alter times (give you more or less on the bottom and big end ) so for an 1.8th mile setup with a trans like ours a shorter tire will net faster times.

the hard part using a drag radial is that with an awd truck you have to be able to light them up in the water box to benefit since they need some heat to aid in traction. other wise they are just a soft bald tire that is possibly wet from going through the water box if you cant drive around.

diameter and weight make a huge difference, diameter more then weight. Adding a smaller tire can be the same as changing gears. slicks will give the best traction but have a higher friction drag as your going down the track, and your back to swaping tires at the track. With the proper drag radial and suspension you shouldn't have to go with slicks.

sorry guys i ment to right will make a huge difference lol. My main concern was the traction but I guess if you can't get them hot enough it wont be much help. And I ment drag radial sorry for the mix up.

Im stuck between the new nittos or the et streets

Edited by stroked out ss (see edit history)

sorry guys i ment to right will make a huge difference lol. My main concern was the traction but I guess if you can't get them hot enough it wont be much help. And I ment drag radial sorry for the mix up.

Im stuck between the new nittos or the et streets

Some of the drag radials do NOT require a burn out and some do. I have heard the MT ET street radials do not require a burn out

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I always got better 60ft times when the weather was hot out because the tires were very sticky (M&H). I would always spin out of the hole when it was cold out. One time it was so bad I let out because i drifted into the right lane. Chase is right, without a proper burn-out, you are betting on the light weight and diameter for better ET than the hooking. My best time was one of my worst launches.

There were several times at the track where I was approached by someone saying "man, you need to learn how to launch, you squeel bad". It is somewhat gratifying when you watch their face and say its AWD and I turn 1.60's all day long.

I would look into the softest tread out of the group or what sniper stated about the no burn-out required DRs. I am just sold on driving to the track with a lightweight combo and letting her rip.

yeah a good street tire is what I would like to have because i hate changing my rims and tires lol. Especially since my brakes and rotors are painted to match the truck so Im scared to screw them up. you guys get a chance to try out those BFG's? I think my falkens are the problem lol