My New Set Up, 502 Rwhp

shadowsniper3006

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far so good Art. The truck is very lazy in the low rpms but i'm not sure its the converter as much as the cams power band. From what i see in the logs it drops 1400-1500 rpm, which was the same as the TCS. I don't have any speedo clips just the logs, which you are welcome to as well if you want to see how the converter goes down the track, but i can get a speedo vid for you in the next couple days here. I'll try to hit an on ramp and do an off idle launch for you.

one thing i noticed with the TFS heads on my truck and joes truck is they just keep taking timing. I have not found the KR limit yet and i think i'm into the point of no better results by adding more.at 2400rpm i'm at 29 degrees, 2800 im at 30.0, 3200-4800 im at 30.5, 5200 is 31 degrees, 5600 is 32 and the rest is 33 degrees

The converter seems to be dropping quite a bit of RPMs for it being a 4500 don't you think? I would have thought a minimum of at least 1000 rpm shift extensions. Yeah you are probably feeling less power down low from the fairly aggressive cam that you have. There sure is a lot of timing in there. Were you adjusting timing on the dyno to see what she likes and what she doesn't? Are you using EFI Live or HPT? You are running on pump gas right? You still running the MAF or OLSD now?

Brad what are you running for a fuel pump?

Yes thanks Mike :jester: all this on the stock fuel pump

The converter seems to be dropping quite a bit of RPMs for it being a 4500 don't you think? I would have thought a minimum of at least 1000 rpm shift extensions. Yeah you are probably feeling less power down low from the fairly aggressive cam that you have. There sure is a lot of timing in there. Were you adjusting timing on the dyno to see what she likes and what she doesn't? Are you using EFI Live or HPT? You are running on pump gas right? You still running the MAF or OLSD now?

I was hoping for a 1000 rpm drop but over 2 converters now its been about the same. Yeah i was adding timing on the dyno but mostly down low, i started at 29 in the upper rpm and went up by 1 or .5 towards the end. The timing down low and up top didn't make much diff at all on the dyno, so i think i'm in the area of no better return by adding more, but it never got any knock either. HPT is what i was using in SD and yeah the O2's are beeing ignored. I aslo tried a bunch of diff AFRs in PE to see what they would do and most where within 3 hp of each other with the torque only gaining around 4500 rpm or so and about 5 foot pounds.

Yes thanks Mike biggrinjester.gif all this on the stock fuel pump

I was hoping for a 1000 rpm drop but over 2 converters now its been about the same. Yeah i was adding timing on the dyno but mostly down low, i started at 29 in the upper rpm and went up by 1 or .5 towards the end. The timing down low and up top didn't make much diff at all on the dyno, so i think i'm in the area of no better return by adding more, but it never got any knock either. HPT is what i was using in SD and yeah the O2's are beeing ignored. I aslo tried a bunch of diff AFRs in PE to see what they would do and most where within 3 hp of each other with the torque only gaining around 4500 rpm or so and about 5 foot pounds.

You should talk to Chris and tell him you want 1000 RPM shift extensions and see if he has any insite for you. So what did you end up setting your WOT AFR at? What injectors are you running? Keep up the good work cheers.gif

i tried a 12.5 across the board, then 12.1 across the board, and then a ramp rate starting at 12.5 and leaning out to around 13.0 as it got higher in the revs. The 12.5 ran the most torque at "launch" but only by like 5 pounds or so from the the least amount and it got the highest hp on top by like 1 or 2 hp. Everything was very close in hp and torque going from all the diff ways of running it. It seems like it doesn't have a sweet spot, it liked just about everything we through at it, it made it easy if anything. I left it at 12.5 across the board.

I'm running the 42 pound SVO green top injectors which at our fuel pressure is really like a 52 pound injector i think. I'm shifting at 6900 right now and the duty cycle is around 69% at peak. From 6200 up boy did this cam take the fuel over my old one, i think i had to add around 15% more fuel up top.

I should call Chris just to let him know how things turned out, but right now i want to relax and just drive the truck for a while before pulling it apart again.

Thanks for all kind words guys! Joe your truck has A LOT more in it, i know it, zippy knows it, with a little tuning....she's gonna be a monster. Bring it over the lake if you want and put it on the dyno by my house, we'll spend some time tuning it with zippy's advice and we'll spend some time by the grill with some beer to.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

here ya go Art, hope this shows what you wanted. The shift points are 6900, but HP tuners shows the drop around 6820ish for first gear and 6850ish for second. The tires spun just a bit when the front end came up but not much.

Thanks for the video Brad! Wish I could grab on the street shakehead.gif (street tire and RWD). She sounds goot to BTW peelout.gif

i tried a 12.5 across the board, then 12.1 across the board, and then a ramp rate starting at 12.5 and leaning out to around 13.0 as it got higher in the revs. The 12.5 ran the most torque at "launch" but only by like 5 pounds or so from the the least amount and it got the highest hp on top by like 1 or 2 hp. Everything was very close in hp and torque going from all the diff ways of running it. It seems like it doesn't have a sweet spot, it liked just about everything we through at it, it made it easy if anything. I left it at 12.5 across the board.

I'm running the 42 pound SVO green top injectors which at our fuel pressure is really like a 52 pound injector i think. I'm shifting at 6900 right now and the duty cycle is around 69% at peak. From 6200 up boy did this cam take the fuel over my old one, i think i had to add around 15% more fuel up top.

I should call Chris just to let him know how things turned out, but right now i want to relax and just drive the truck for a while before pulling it apart again.

Thanks for all kind words guys! Joe your truck has A LOT more in it, i know it, zippy knows it, with a little tuning....she's gonna be a monster. Bring it over the lake if you want and put it on the dyno by my house, we'll spend some time tuning it with zippy's advice and we'll spend some time by the grill with some beer to.

Those are the same results Justin and I saw on a few trucks on the dyno. It seems that these genIII+ motors are very efficient and AFR doesn't do much power wise.

Those are the same results Justin and I saw on a few trucks on the dyno. It seems that these genIII+ motors are very efficient and AFR doesn't do much power wise.

i expected huge swings and to be able to run a ramp rate that would make great torque and then lean it out and......well just do something cool with it, but nope it was almost the same like you said. But being on a dyno and checking it sure was fun.

i expected huge swings and to be able to run a ramp rate that would make great torque and then lean it out and......well just do something cool with it, but nope it was almost the same like you said. But being on a dyno and checking it sure was fun.

I agree, I know that there are some tunners that start out lean in the low RPM range (2500-3500), then at peak torque they richen the mixture up to the target AFR of about 12.5, then lean it back up at the top end of the rpm range. but the power difference isn't worth risking a lean condition. I don't have experience with older SBC, but I don't really see where people get that lean is mean. Unless its a two stroke.

• 3 weeks later...