My New Set Up, 502 Rwhp

shadowsniper3006

After a while of running my old cam and heads i decided to take a chance and go a bit more aggressive to dive deeper into the 12's on stock cubes. My old set up was a stocked cubed NA lq9 with a set of stage 2.5 TEA heads 69cc chamber, a 224-228, .610-.588 113+4 cam, a victor JR intake with custom elbow and TBSS tb and most or all the bolt ons. The cam and heads were picked out by revolution raceworks for my goal of high 12's at the time. The tuning was an initial effort by Frank and Zippy, and then finally tuned for all updates by Zippy. I dyno'd this set up with a truck intake and made 425 to the rear wheels with a tune that was a touch rich(done through the mail). I then dyno'd with the victor intake with Zippy at the dyno and made 465 to the rear wheels. All testing was done on a mustang dyno at West Bend Dyno Tuning. The best time with this set up was 12.82 set in -500 DA.

But enough about what was, I set new goals of 500 RWHP and a goal of 12.50 on stock cubes and NA. For this build i stepped up to Trick Flow heads by TEA, and a Texas Speed cam. Shorty after ordering everything i blew up the torque converter and it took the trans with it, so i had to replace the converter and get the trans checked out. After talking to TCS and not liking their answers i dropped them and went to a Circle D 4500 stall.

DSC00455.jpg

The trans went back to FLT for a check up and all new soft parts due to the horrible amount of debris that went though the trans.

DSC00456.jpg

The converter also sent so much debris through the lines that i can not use the cooler in the radiator anymore and had to scrap my blue anodized tru-cool.

DSC00457.jpg

Like i said the heads are trick flow 225 runner with 65cc chambers. Because of the cam i picked out we used springs with much higher open pressures and used hollow stem intake valves to make it easier on the valve seats avoid floating and to control valve bounce. The springs are .700 lift PAC 1521. Intake valves are turned downed hollow stem ls3, ferrea exhaust. 335 cfm at .600 lift

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

The cam is a TSP 235-240, .647-.608 111 lsa. We tried to get a explosive power band between 4000 and 6500

i also got a catch can and a ls6 valley cover, and had replace my tru-cool. I used a fast wideband for initial tuning.

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

after tearing the motor apart i noticed a very small crack in one of my cts-vr lifters so i put a set of morel drop in lifters in as well. I was going to go with link bar but after some research i decided not to due to extra weight and the possibility of the link bar breaking.

DSC00542.jpg

head gaskets are cometic .040 and 4.030 bore. Should be around 11.33:1 SCR. In case anyone ever wondered, i step mic'd the piston to the block at TDC and the piston comes out .008.

I used an adjustable push rod to bury the plunger in the lifter .010 from bottom then used the old .040 head gasket and bolted the head on to check the piston to valve clearance. It measured about .100 so i figure around .090 PTV clearance. The first pic shows the clay on the piston, the rest show the valve hit.

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

push rod length turned out to be 7.375 and 7.4. This cam has different lobes on it so it needed 2 different push rod lengths for the preload i wanted.

here are some random motor pics as i was working on it

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

The results on the dyno were not what i wanted in some areas but it did meet my goal. I wanted to be all in by 6500 but it peaked at 6750ish, however i did make 502 to the rear wheels on stock cubed motor. The torque is down from i wanted but i have future plans to help out with that. TEA only knew of one stock cubed 6.0 that put down over 500 to the wheels, Zippy says maybe 4 or 5 guys in the country he knows of.

graph.jpg

coversheet.jpg

all runs were done with the converter locked at 45 MPH which was about 2500 rpm and then i floored it at 2500 and the dyno run started at 3000.

I ran it once at the track to feel it out a bit and it ran 4 out of 6 times in the 12.8's. 12.843, 12.864, 12.889 and 12.892. It was around 2800 feet DA for these runs and hotter then hell, around 88 degrees. So with the changes i was able to run .02 from my best time in the worst weather conditions when i set my best time in one of the best weather conditions(-500 DA). I was a little disappointed but the DA just wasn't right. I went to the track with another truck who was running .5 slower then he did in better conditions. Everyone else at the track said they where .3 to .5 slower then normal as well. So i feel the truck has at least a 12.50 in it if not a low 12.4 if i get traction.

here are some vids of racing that night. They have the radio on and it sucks for vids

here is an idle clip of a 111 lsa, the video doesn't even give you a feel for how choppy this thing is. It sounds worse then more muscle cars at the track

I have to thank Krambo for advice on this build. Zippy for everything, advice on the build, trying to help me find parts, tuning support and most of all always being there when i called. And SS muscle truck-joe for helping with what ever he could and letting me bitch to him when things went wrong.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome numbers at the Dyno, I drove the truck while brad was logging and tunning......the truck is a BEAST. I learned alot from this build as well as my own build. I met Brad at the track yesterday.... My truck ran a half second slower and the only thing different was the weather. It will be interesting to see what your truck will run in better conditions. Congrats buddy.......you are the proud owner of one really mean truck........can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve

thanks all! Mike(616 of 933) did the vids for me so thanks for that to Mike.

2bfast: if i had your precision and devotion the install would have looked better but after almost 2 months of beeing down i just wanted to drive her again

Art: Thanks a bunch.....you are the guy i fear the most at the track, your truck is a beast already. If you ever need some info on the TFS heads let me know.

Wow! damn nice results! Those heads look impressive and I am sure it sounds badass in person. Well done. I am thinking a safe 100 shot would make for a crazy torque curve and more to your liking. :ph34r:

How are you liking the 4500 converter? I am oh so close to calling CD and going with their converter after my issues with PI. CD actually took the time to talk it over with me even though I wasn't going to buy one at the time.

Wow! damn nice results! Those heads look impressive and I am sure it sounds badass in person. Well done. I am thinking a safe 100 shot would make for a crazy torque curve and more to your liking. :ph34r:

How are you liking the 4500 converter? I am oh so close to calling CD and going with their converter after my issues with PI. CD actually took the time to talk it over with me even though I wasn't going to buy one at the time.

Thanks Kevin! Chris was a great guy to deal with and came very well recomended by the guys at FLT as well. I even told Chris i was going to try and break his converter and all he said was bring it. As far as the stall is, it seems a bit softer hitting then my TCS. When the flash caught on the street you knew it on the TCS but this one seems a bit more lazy. After logging it it seems to be flashing at around 4300 so its a touch looser then my TCS. My 60 foot times with the CD are dead even with the 60 foot times i was running with the old set up with the victor intake, 1.800ish and a 1.79 in there to, but this was again on a very hot crap day. Joes truck was pulling 2.0 60 foot times when he is usauly in the mid 1.8s. The lock up is worse then my PI was(in a good way) it feels like a mule kicking you in the ass when it locks up. So far it did 9 or 10 dyno pulls in lock up from 2500 up to 6800 and locked once at the top of third gear at the track with no issues. I logged the trans in rpm and trans out rpm on the dyno(in sim mode so it was loaded for 5230 pounds and wind res.) and up to 136mph there is only like a 7 rpm diff when the converter is locked. When i locked it at the track it showed it the same. Should you ever want to see any of the logs just let me know.

And like i said, there are plans for the future :ph34r:

nice job ! that FAST Afr looks familiar lol

Thanks Brad, yeah we have gotten some use out of it, but now i need to hook it up into HP tuners.

thanks all! Mike(616 of 933) did the vids for me so thanks for that to Mike.

2bfast: if i had your precision and devotion the install would have looked better but after almost 2 months of beeing down i just wanted to drive her again

Art: Thanks a bunch.....you are the guy i fear the most at the track, your truck is a beast already. If you ever need some info on the TFS heads let me know.

Thanks Brad! I plan to run the TFS 225 heads when the green allows. Once you get her tweeked in and get some better weather you will see your times drop like flies driving.gif

I am still workn on my 60' /tuning as well with the new converter . How do you like the CD 4500? What are your shift extensions with it? Any speedo clips by any chance? ughdance.gif

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)

Thanks Brad! I plan to run the TFS 225 heads when the green allows. Once you get her tweeked in and get some better weather you will see your times drop like flies driving.gif

I am still workn on my 60' /tuning as well with the new converter . How do you like the CD 4500? What are your shift extensions with it? Any speedo clips by any chance? ughdance.gif

So far so good Art. The truck is very lazy in the low rpms but i'm not sure its the converter as much as the cams power band. From what i see in the logs it drops 1400-1500 rpm, which was the same as the TCS. I don't have any speedo clips just the logs, which you are welcome to as well if you want to see how the converter goes down the track, but i can get a speedo vid for you in the next couple days here. I'll try to hit an on ramp and do an off idle launch for you.

one thing i noticed with the TFS heads on my truck and joes truck is they just keep taking timing. I have not found the KR limit yet and i think i'm into the point of no better results by adding more.at 2400rpm i'm at 29 degrees, 2800 im at 30.0, 3200-4800 im at 30.5, 5200 is 31 degrees, 5600 is 32 and the rest is 33 degrees