Trio of 385 HP Trucks Coming at GM!

Dr Mike

From Branden GMInsiders http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...?showtopic=4389

Trio of 385 HP Trucks Coming at GM!

The Silverado SS has been a hot topic of discussion lately with all the hype surrounding the new Dodge Ram SRT-10 and it’s earth shattering 500 horsepower. Many GM enthusiasts have been wondering when GM will put some of the internal expertise that GM Powertrain has to offer towards making a truck worthy of the SS name. This has led to several conflicting reports as to what the future holds for GM performance trucks. One report has the Silverado SS getting a supercharged engine in 2006. Another report on this very site predicted the Silverado SS would simply be getting a bump in power using a naturally aspirated engine. I can say I myself have been pulling my hair out trying to guess what direction GM is going on this one. Ironically in the end it turns out that pretty much everyone is right.

For 2005 the Silverado SS will see virtually no changes, as it won’t be until 2006 things get interesting. One thing not understood about the current SS is that it is capable of much more horsepower than it is making. The Vortec 6.0L in the Silverado SS is easily capable of 400 HP, however the AWD system it uses can not handle that kind of power, so GM was forced to detune it to 345 HP. This will change in 06 as GM will roll out a standard cab, short box, RWD SS that will sport a 6 speed manual. GM already was showing a similar truck at shows last year that had people talking. What’s more is that this 6.0L/six speed combo will also see work in the 2006 Trailblazer SS, and a future SSR. The Trailblazer SS shown earlier in the year has esentially the production version of this new truck 6.0L rated at a hefty 385HP. It is our belief that all three trucks will have this same 385 HP rated 6.0L. It is known that we will see the production ready Trailblazer SS at an autoshow later in the year, however it is the SSR that may get the new engine and 6 speed first. This may happen in the 2005 model year run with the justification being that it is the halo vehicle for GM’s truck line. That however is dependent on if GM can get the engine and transmission certified in time, which time will only tell.

As for the rumors of a supercharger on the Silverado SS, I must admit I called it a baseless rumor many times, which was wrong. In reality there is development work being done on a Supercharged SS, but it is not yet approved and at least a few years off. Right now there is a lot of confusion on the issue, but it seems there may be some shared development between this engine and the engine being used for the super Corvette code named “Blue Devil”. The new engine is rumored to be a supercharged V8 with displacement north of 6.0L. This would position the SS much like the SRT-10 and Lightning which use the hottest engines from the Viper and Ford GT respectively. If this engine sees the light of day in the Silverado it will likely produce power numbers to the tune of 500-650 HP. All of this will depend on exactly what components are shared with the “Blue Devil”, if they are identical, 600HP may happen. On the other hand GM could engineer the supercharger from the “Blue Devil” to work on the 6.0L which would keep numbers down. I am guessing we will not see a supercharged SS if approved until sometime after 2007. I am guessing this because GM needs a transmission and drivetrain to deliver all that power to the ground, and many of those components are tied to “Blue Devil” development. If the new Corvette Z06 debuts next year (MY 2006), that means that “Blue Devil” would not happen until at least 2007 and possibly later. A supercharged SS will follow sometime after the “Blue Devil” Corvette because GM would not allow a truck to upstage the hottest Corvette ever made. I have also heard rumors that we may see a supercharged Silverado SS concept at an upcoming autoshow, however details are scarce.

In closing I would like to make a few points. First off, while the 385 HP is pretty much a done deal, the supercharged Silverado is not approved and may not happen. Luckily however, last I heard though, the odds are good it will be approved. Also, please keep in mind that if gas prices or government fuel economy regulations increase, GM might do an about face on parts of it’s future performance truck lineup. In the short term it is not really a threat, but in the future it very well may be.

:thumbs:

Dr Mike

i've been getting the same info from a friend, but it's tough to take all if it with much belief until i see it in a real press release. :(

good post of info though. :thumbs:

hmm..... yup, until it is on dealers lots, I call bs. once again, I've been waiting since 98, and no rcsbSS. and I like the quote, "It's pretty much a done deal." wtf?? GM has been saying this for years. :rolleyes: and only 385hp?? wtf??? start with at least 400, and drop the LS2 in it. am I bitter??? you bet.

Archived