Need To Order New Brakes Tonight

So today I realized how badly I need brakes and can't put it off any sooner.

1) On my way into work i was coming up to a light that just turned yellow. It was one of those do I stop or just go kinda situations. I decided to play it safe and stop. Truck starts to slow down... gradually. Light goes red, I see a cop sitting at the light. I push the brakes to the floor using both feet and the truck finally stops about a car length past the stop line... I was only going 40 or so. Thankfully it was 5am and there was nobody else at the intersection

2)On the way home while on the highway going about 45 or so, about 5 or so car lenghts between me and the car in front of me. I see traffic is coming to a stop so I'm slowing down when this stupid woman (no offense to any ladies) who is on her cell phone sees this gap between me and the car in front of me and decides to just swerve in. She then realizes that traffic is stopping and jacks on her brakes. By swerving in, she took up all my stopping distance forcing me to again, stand on my brakes with two feet. Well the truck wasn't stopping in time. So, rear end her or swerve. I swerved but there was a curb (no shoulder) and I kissed the curb with my tire but I avoided rear-ending the woman. No damage to the truck or wheel but there is a small chunk missing from the tire and now I need an alignment (steering wheels is off center). As soon as this happens the woman then swerves, while still on the phone and without looking again, BACK INTO HER ORIGINAL LANE cutting a car in that lane off and was completely unaware of what she had just done.

3) Finally, just on the homestretch to my house, going about 40 or so, some old dude of about 85 (and out of state!) just pulls out from the pharmacy right into my lane and then goes about 15mph. Its a 45mph zone with heavy traffic. So I once again stand on the brakes with two feet. The truck isn't stopping, again, so I have to make a emergency evasive swerve around this old dude who is completely oblivious to his surroundings.

Ok, I think I'm over my rant, just had to get my frustrations out. Some people just shouldn't be on the road!!!!!!!!!!!

I planned on upgrading the brakes but just not this soon. I was hoping the stockers would last a little bit longer but I think they are smoked. Three times I stood on the pedal with two feet and the tires didn't even once screech or activate the ABS. These brakes just aren't biting or stopping adequately.

Anyway, I was thinking about one of these two kits with new pads, SS lines and a brake fluid flush.

http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/detail/index.cfm?nPID=8399

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=BPMONROTR01&c=BR&b=STILLEN&year=2003&make=CHEVROLET&model=PICKUP

I have the factory 12" rotors so I'm hoping upgrading to 14" rotors will help make a difference in stopping power.

I want to keep my stock calipers because my aftermarket warranty actually covers them so if they ever go bad I won't have to pay to replace them.

Am I on the right track here? Will I see a improvement in braking with either of these two kits? Anything else you would recommend instead? I'm hoping to order tonight so any input would be great! Thanks

I had the same problem with my suburban. No matter what I did to the brakes, the car just wouldn't stop. I actually was thinking of buying those vented discs from Stillen (lot of money).

Until a friend told me to try the Hawk Performance Super Duty pads. So I did, they run about $100 (which is a little pricy for pads). They worked awesome, the Suburban was stoping like a little car. Since then those are the only pads I put in all my cars. And by the way, they last 3 times more than other brands.

I suggest you try them, and also check your discs if they still have some metal in them.

Hope this helps.

I am in replacing the braking on my truck as well. I had not looked at your second option yet, but I have been told that the Powerslot rotors work well and that the EBC 3GD rotors work well also. I am considering the EBC route myself. Good luck with the decision.

Edited by eagledax (see edit history)

sound like you could have a much more serious issue then pads or rotors, check you brake hoses, you also could have a frozen caliper or even a bad master cylinder or brake booster, I had a bad caliper when I first bought my truck, didnt have hardly any brakes

Is there a way I can check these parts w/o going to the dealer?

It really just seems to lack in emergency braking, just normal driving and braking is fine. They just suck when you really get into them hard.

Before totally condemning your brakes, there are a few things you need to look at.....rotors/pads that are heat glazed will greatly reduce stopping ability. Check to see if your rotors have a blue tint to them, if so, they have been overheated. Also, check for signs of rotor rot(pitting on rotor surface), this can cause increased stopping effort too. Are your rotors the originals? Have you ever flushed your brake fluid? Old crappy brake fluid can contain a ton of moisture which increases stopping effort. Replacing the old fluid with fresh can help firm up the brake pedal. Rubber brake lines can expand under heavy braking causing a stopping problem, a good solution is to get a set of stainlees braided brake lines to firm your pedal up. There is also the possibilty of air in your brake lines, bleeding them may help also. If none of this helps, then it's time for bigger brakes.

How many miles are on your truck?

I have 64k miles on my truck. I can't say for sure but I suspect I have the original brakes, at least the rotors anyway. I know the rear rotors are junk because they have black marks coming through them around the edge of the rotor. Also, they look dull and glazed versus the shiny look that my Altima used to have. I noticed the rear brakes when I bought the truck but it didn't worry me too much because I had intentions of upgrading the braking system. I was just hoping to get more time out of them. I was originally going to go with a big brake kit but when I found out my warranty covers calipers, I want to keep them stock so I looked into these type of kits.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that by replacing my stock rotors with bigger performance rotors, performance pads, stainless steel lines and a full brake fluid flush I'll see a big improvement. Flushing the brake fluid is on the list of things to do anyway.

I had the same problem with my suburban. No matter what I did to the brakes, the car just wouldn't stop. I actually was thinking of buying those vented discs from Stillen (lot of money).

Until a friend told me to try the Hawk Performance Super Duty pads. So I did, they run about $100 (which is a little pricy for pads). They worked awesome, the Suburban was stoping like a little car. Since then those are the only pads I put in all my cars. And by the way, they last 3 times more than other brands.

I suggest you try them, and also check your discs if they still have some metal in them.

Hope this helps.

do the hawk pads give off a lot of dust?

do the hawk pads give off a lot of dust?

From my experience with them, yes they do, and they are noisy also. The set I had pitted my chrome

wheels. :freak: You would be better off with AC Delco OE ceramic pads then Hawk pads......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

www.r1concepts.com talk to steve there and tell him tony sent you from the Traiblazer SS site. He will take care of you. There are tons of guys that run their set up with hawk pads on the Trailblazer Site and no probs at all.

www.r1concepts.com talk to steve there and tell him tony sent you from the Traiblazer SS site. He will take care of you. There are tons of guys that run their set up with hawk pads on the Trailblazer Site and no probs at all.

emailed, awaiting reply

I couldn't find anyone that sells raybesto pads anymore. So, I got rotors and drums from R1 concepts. And Wagner brakes pads from Kragen/O"Reily I had them for almost a year and have had no problems. And the Wagner pads expel little to no dust. The only other pads I would use are AC delcos. Everything from AutoZone sucked.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59246&st=0&p=676614&hl=brakes&fromsearch=1entry676614

• 3 months later...