Power lost with Cam/Headers/Free flow cat's

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my .02

I'll have to agree with the gang Look at the DOTS.

A 115 LSA cam has advanced exhaust lobe timing even when timed straight up,,,if it's 1 tooth advanced thats approx 15 degrees.

With that said the exhaust valve could be closed or very nearly closed before TDC on the ex stroke.

This could cause a pressure spike in the intake with exhaust gas being forced into the opening intake valve.

Jeff didn't you mention a knock from the Radix ?

The engine would run lean/hot.

Still doesn't account for the transsimission heat.

Hope you get it cleared up soon.

WP

Hey Jeff,

Any resolution yet. I sure was disapointed to see a white truck and not a black one the other day. :sick:

Duane,

It sucks driving my wifes car, but what are you going to do? Maybe she needs a supercharger in her truck.... :D

My truck is still down and out, it looks like a problem with high IAT temps causing it to knock......That is killing all my power.

The guys are working on it, they'll get her fixed.

It looks like you got the hood on, looking good...... :cool::cool::cool:

Jeff

Just my .02

I'll have to agree with the gang Look at the DOTS.

A 115 LSA cam has advanced exhaust lobe timing even when timed straight up,,,if it's 1 tooth advanced thats approx 15 degrees.

With that said the exhaust valve could be closed or very nearly closed before TDC on the ex stroke.

This could cause a pressure spike in the intake with exhaust gas being forced into the opening intake valve.

Jeff didn't you mention a knock from the Radix ?

The engine would run lean/hot.

Still doesn't account for the transsimission heat.

Hope you get it cleared up soon.

WP

Black04SS,

I'll take any pennies you guys will toss at me to get this sucker fixed.

I pick up the truck tomorrow, I know the owner and they are determined to get it fixed.

They are looking at the timing and a few other things now......

BTW, the trans temp did come down once I purged the coolant system. I'm sorry I didnt mention that earlier...

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,I'd imagine an SSS bed full of pennies wouldn't overcome your stress with this project at this point. LOL

IMHO the shop shouldn't charge you to straighten out something they installed incorrectly. (if that is indeed the case) Look at the dots yourself,he shouldn't be offended to show you "what was wrong" cause I bet there'll be a hugh improvement in performance when it's right.

Did the shop doing the work make the dyno pulls on your truck?

Good luck tomorrow,let us know how it turns out.

WP

I'm glad you got the coolant issues corrected. High coolant and trans temps had me worried more than the lack of power.

IATs shouldn't be high if its a freshly started truck without heat soak.

Backpressure isn't bad. Under boost, you really need to get that exhaust out of the system. Thats why you go with more exhaust cam duration. I really dont think you need to go back to manifolds and stock cats. It won't run any better, I guarantee you.

Things that popped into my mind when reading the latest developments here:

Cam a tooth off which would definitely make for low power.

Improperly ground cam - It wouldn't be the first time a cam has been ground on a wrong LSA, lobes, duration, or advance.

Coolant pump for Radix not pumping.

Have you checked your boost pressure? I wonder if there is an intake leak when reinstalling the radix. low boost = low torque and hp. That would also throw off your air / fuel mix since your MAF would be reading it but the motor wouldn't be using it.

No codes? I've bumped spart plugs when installing headers then they started causing misfires.

I agree, definatly NOT a backpressure issue, serioulsy doubt valve float either. that is not a big cam and that would only effect high rpms anyway

definatly look at cam timing and the tune.

don't forget the 3000 stall is going to suck up some of your HP gain on the dyno :thumbs:

OK guys, we think we know what is causing my IAT temp problem that’s killing my power.

I placed an order, and it should all be here by Tues or Wed.

I'll let you guys know what the out-come is by Thursday......

Keep your fingers crossed......

Thanks again for all your help.... :cheers:

Jeff

OK guys, we think we know what is causing my IAT temp problem that’s killing my power.

Jeff, you aren't gonna tell us?

I want to make sure it works before I let the cat out of the bag...... :oops:

I'm about 85% confident that this will work, BTW it was not the Cam!

I'll let everyone know once I know it works.... :thumbs:

Archived