Power lost with Cam/Headers/Free flow cat's

32rwhp does seem a little bit low, but not all that much. Cam with no headwork, headers with cats, and you have to remember that a stall will in many cases hurt the #'s that you see on a dyno. Also if the cam timing is off, and it is running too much timing would cause your engine to detonate hence the "knocking". I had that problem in my old camaro. A bad tune can also do the same thing if it has too much timing, then it pings, and then your motor pulls the heck out of the timing and you lose power. I hate to say it, but you need to pull it apart and look at the dots. By the way, whoever is telling you that the lack of backpressure is your problem is full of crap. Lack of backpressure will only help a truck, especially with a halfway decent tune.

Aaron

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will have the front end cleared out so I can observe the dots tuesday night or wed AM.....

Big Tex is the closest so far...

The install of new parts will start tomorrow....

It should lower my IAT, thus bring back alot of the lost HP & TQ.........

there actually has been one other radix truck that had this problem. changing the thermostat to a 160 fixed that one odd as it may seem. sounds to be about identical except this one found out with track times instead of dyno numbers.

I got my truck back this morning, on the street and spinning tires at every light........ :D

All is good, I have not dyno'd yet, but definitely an increase in HP/TQ, no more lag or missing performance, I knew my Speed shop could fit it......... :cheers:

This is what was done to resolve the high IAT....BTW my IAT came down 50 degrees with all the goodies and for the track I can add ice to the system and get it down even more.....

Thanks for everyones help.... :thumbs:

-Larger Heat exchanger

jdm_ic_installed.jpg

-High Capacity Intercooler Resevoir

ICresevoir.jpg

-Some more fine tuning

6014.jpg

Very glad to hear you are back on the road and running strong.

I'm kinda suprised to hear that it was just a cooling issue. With your initial description on the issues, it sounded like there was something physically wrong, not just too small of an intercooler.

I agree. My truck ran fine with the stock heat exchanger in FL heat/humidity. With the initial description, this kind of sounds like it may be covering a larger problem.

I hope that is not true and bet that thing does run a hell of lot better with a 50 degree drop in IAT. Radix would love that.

Hey guys, I don’t know if this would be related. But, I did notice that my trans temps are still a little higher then I remember.

Then I started to notice after a few hard stomps, that I was getting a grinding/rubbing sound just under my feet when I hit the brakes, but it’s not the brakes....

It looks like I have a bad front U-Joint or something....It's going in Monday. :nonod:

Archived