STS Turbo First impression on th Streets of Austin

MustBBrent

This is my first impression from a light and from the highway..

I was sitting at my favorite cross roads about to turn left from my home to the cross street where the speed limit is 55. Imagine this place, a Farm Market road that is not divided and it is only 1 lane each way with a small yellow dash seperating you from the oncoming igmo-s. I usually turn left there and floor it as I am turning left across traffic. Pre Torque converter install, there was no chirp, no spin, no nothing, but a small hesitation and then the truck would take off and I could get up . Since I had Joe install the torque converter, it would bark just a touch every now and then as I was finishing the left hand turn and going up the hill and last bark would be the shift to second. NOW, today... totally dry before the rain came, I was sitting there the same as usual and when I turned left, I romped on it.... :D:D:D and the truck barked the tires as the turbo spooled and then the whole truck slid across the road and I had to let off of it so that I would not end up in the ditch on the other side. I looked back and bit of smoke was there floating just above the ground with a smell I have not smelled since my vette days. Burning rubber. Just a bit of it, I'm sure, nothing like slimsoftball, but it was there just the same... I do realize that this was on a turn, and it may have been only a few wheels spinning, but it did it just the same. And DAMNED. When boost hits 8.5 psi just after you floor it, it feels like someone hit you in the A$$ with a 2x6. Very cool. That same hill, I can normally get to 70 by the top, I can't wait to see what I can get it to now.

I will say that it doesn't feel any faster off the line, in fact just a touch slower, but on the highway, and then punch it, I punched it at 70 and hit over 100 in 3-4 seconds. I need to do a video... TurbochargedBerserker offered to post the pics of the install when I take them and get them to him. It is raining right now and my under hood is covered in oil. But if you want them, I will take them now. Otherwise, I would like to wait till I can get it cleaned.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you getting that loud wastegate sound like someone else has?

I'm still wondering if this kit is worth it in the long run? Initially, it seems like you would only be able to run the same amount of boost as the Radix without doing some internal mods to the heads or cylinders to lower the compression which equals more $$$. I mean eventually you will be able to run more boost, but how much more money is it going to take?

I do appreciate you sharing your experience with us as I am VERY interested in this turbo kit. I am just a little weary of the costs to make more boost which is what we all want right? I know speed costs, I'm just wondering if I really want to spend MORE money on internal mods in order to make more boost or just go with the Radix and let it be. It seems like the factory high compression is going to be the enemy!

Is there any way you can break down how much money you have spent already?

The turbo kit is what??? $4000.00.....................

The Radix is what??? $5000.00............

Thanks

Late- Alex

Are you getting that loud wastegate sound like someone else has?

I'm still wondering if this kit is worth it in the long run? Initially, it seems like you would only be able to run the same amount of boost as the Radix without doing some internal mods to the heads or cylinders to lower the compression which equals more $$$. I mean eventually you will be able to run more boost, but how much more money is it going to take?

I do appreciate you sharing your experience with us as I am VERY interested in this turbo kit. I am just a little weary of the costs to make more boost which is what we all want right? I know speed costs, I'm just wondering if I really want to spend MORE money on internal mods in order to make more boost or just go with the Radix and let it be. It seems like the factory high compression is going to be the enemy!

Is there any way you can break down how much money you have spent already?

The turbo kit is what??? $4000.00.....................

The Radix is what??? $5000.00............

Thanks

Late-  Alex

This is what I know of the systems, after owning one and doing some research on the other.

The Radix costs $4999 at Tbyrne's this week. It comes complete. Injectors, fuel pump, tuning, etc... There is no need to buy anything else whatsoever.

The STS turbo costs $3995, base price. Not sure which turbo this gives you, but you could end up with upgrade charges depending on the size. I believe Brent's size is like a $400 upgrade.

Once that is done, you now need to get injectors with the easiest and probably all you would need is Delphi muilti-tec II 42lb injectors. New they are $400. You can find used on occasion for $300.

The next thing you'll need to buy is an addit'l fuel pump. The cost vary depending on which way you went. Say, $150-$250.

After that there is tuning which you WILL need. And prices for that run from $250-$500.

So, worse case with the STS you'd spend approx $5500. The price of the pkg I looked at had a $800 upgrade. So I have to add another $400.

As far as the engine goes, you're right, there are limitations on the boost with a stock 10:1CR. 10lbs of boost is about all the engine is going to want. With tuning and maybe methanol injection you'll get a little more, so maybe 12lbs max. The only way to lower CR is by changing pistons, or the easier way of porting the heads to 77cc. The head way would only drop CR about .4, or so, to give a CR of about 9.6:1. So it might give you 2 more lbs of boost, if you're lucky. New heads vary over a wide range, but you can pretty much count on $2k or so. With 12lbs of boost you could start to experience head gasket issues. 12lbs would be best supported with a set of o-ring'd heads, which of course adds to the costs.

Awesme Brent!!

About intercoolers -- the STS kit runs at .53 intercooler efficiency. By way of comparison, the ATI 3 core intercooler runs .70. The STS kit is the equivalent running of 2 core intercooler cooling but with a pressure drop of 1/4 to 3/4 psi rather than 2-3 psi from an intercooler. Magnussen doesn't give intercooler efficiency figures, but it can't be better than that ATI.

Still to run something like 15 psi, I think Ben said that even STS agrees you'd need some kind of intercooler.

Radix to STS.. I think ssblackss is running 10 psi. That's my target as well (actually 12 psi is my target, but although I am crazy, I am not insane enough to try that at 10:1). You face the same compression worries with a radix as with an STS except you can get high enough boost out of the STS that you have to worry about it.

Both kits are awesome. STS has better "I'm gonna mod the hell outta my truck" longevity -- that is he turbo kit can be adjusted to match the new HP levels of new mods.

The GT40 (Brent's) is a $700 upgrade Dave said. GT67 is $400. The adjustable boost controller option (low and high switchable boost settings) is a couple hundred I think.

IMO, 10lbs of boost, whether from the Radix or STS is going to be hard on the stock motor. 12lbs hit regularly, and I think your head gaskets are going to go. But, who knows right?

Radix is capable of 10lbs, hit it many times.

Awesme Brent!!

About intercoolers -- the STS kit runs at .53 intercooler efficiency.  By way of comparison, the ATI 3 core intercooler runs .70.  The STS kit is the equivalent running of 2 core intercooler cooling but with a pressure drop of 1/4 to 3/4 psi rather than 2-3 psi from an intercooler.  Magnussen doesn't give intercooler efficiency figures, but it can't be better than that ATI.

Still to run something like 15 psi, I think Ben said that even STS agrees you'd need some kind of intercooler.

Radix to STS..  I think ssblackss is running 10 psi.  That's my target as well (actually 12 psi is my target, but although I am crazy, I am not insane enough to try that at 10:1).  You face the same compression worries with a radix as with an STS except you can get high enough boost out of the STS that you have to worry about it.

Both kits are awesome.  STS has better "I'm gonna mod the hell outta my truck" longevity -- that is he turbo kit can be adjusted to match the new HP levels of new mods.

The GT40 (Brent's) is a $700 upgrade Dave said.  GT67 is $400.  The adjustable boost controller option (low and high switchable boost settings) is a couple hundred I think.

I just didn't want to be .... "all back a duh bus and sh!$ !"

ssblackss is running 7.5psi with a .5bar spring. He may change to the .6bar spring when he tries out the GT67, jump in here anytime Jman.

May I take a stab at it? This is how I made my justification for the turbo over the Radix.

The base kit is list price for just under $4k. I agree that at 8-9psi... which is .6bar, you are at the max non intercooled that the motor will go with out some kind of NOS or Methanol injection to cool it off. And Dave at STS told us that they believe that the GT67 will become the standard turbo for the 6.0liter kits (though they may adjust the price to match a bit.) other than that, at.5bar, which is 7.25psi, you don't need new fuel injectors or anything else.. to make the kit work. So, you can buy their kit and run 7psi with the .5bar spring for about $4k or so. to get above that, to .6bar or 9psi, you do need new feul injectors as Ben mentioned. I do not have an inline fuel pump to help. I only bought 42lb injectors used and from STS, the upgraded GT turbo for list price of $700 and electronic boost controller option for list price of $150. So, for $4k, plus $300, plus $700, plus $150, or $5.2k, you should be close to my setup. In Radix terms, that is list price $5350, plus list price $100 pulley, and a larger intercooler at list price $400 to keep it cool enough to run that psi. So, you have roughly a savings of about $550 with the turbo, list price. We all know that TByrne sells for less than list price, and you can call Dave at STS and let him know you are following the SilveradoSS Turbo threads, and I bet you will not have to pay quite list price.

But price aside, the Radix hits harder immediately when you hit the gas, the turbo spins up and takes you all the way to the shift where the Radix peaters out above 5500rpm according to the guys on the forum here. So it is all about preference and how long your stuff will last without other upgrades to handle it.

A Radix list for only $5199 on Tbyrne's site and about 10 others. I have never seen it above that - so maybe I haven't hit the sites you have Brent. Tbyrne has sales for them all the time and currently they go for $4999 shipped. I got mine a while back for a couple of hundred less. Also, the larger heat exchanger is becoming part of the standard kit. 7psi is what you get with the stock kit, so no need to buy an extra pulley.

So for this week, next week may be more, you're only $850 off for the prices of the Radix. And, you don't "need" the bigger intercooler to run more boost.

Don't forget, if you do very much more to your truck, you may need another, or different fuel pump. I wouldn't be surprised, although not an expert opinion, that you were not slightly lean up top at 10lbs boost. So you may need to add $150-$250 later, which would bring the diff to $1k.

Archived