STS Turbo First impression on th Streets of Austin

MustBBrent

Upon closer inspection, all that I spoke of is very true... I hadn't noticed that the turbo comes into boost at 3800RPM.... anytime I am below 3800RPM, it is dog shit slow. Then at 3800RPM, it is like someone slapped it in the a$$ and off the truck goes. Like someone rear ended you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am heading down to a smaller turbo.

Smaller? What for?

Looks like I may have sold my Radix. This is all predicated by the guy transferring the money tomorrow. He did call me though, so I feel pretty confident he will.

If things go through I have decided on a STS Turbo, probably a GT-70. It will be close for getting it running by the KS rally, but I am going to try my damnest. It just may not be fully tuned. Providing of course, everything is pretty much on the shelves waiting for me to order it all. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

I think a 38mm wastegate is too small for our trucks especially if you are running a low boost level. At lower boost, you have to use a larger wastegate because you are bleeding off so much more boost than if you where letting more boost go into the motor. Running to small of a waste gate will also lead to boost creap like brent said. I think if you plan on running under 10psi most of the time at least a 40mm Tial, but since Tial is going to eliminate the 40mm form there line and stop making parts for it. I would go with the 44mm and use a boost controller, this will allow you to control your boost very safely. :thumbs:

If things go through I have decided on a STS Turbo, probably a GT-70.

Ben is that the same size as a T-70 or is it bigger. what size turbine A/R are you going with ???

You're talking in lingo I am not yet familiar with yet. :D I'll know more later today.

If things go through I have decided on a STS Turbo, probably a GT-70.

Ben is that the same size as a T-70 or is it bigger. what size turbine A/R are you going with ???

You're talking in lingo I am not yet familiar with yet. :D I'll know more later today.

Ben, i did a little research for you and yes the GT-70 is Innovatives equivalent to the t-70. I have done a lot of homework on turbos and i can tell you that with your bigger cubic inch motor, i would say go with at least a GT-76, anything smaller will not flow enough air on the top end. Also go with no smaller than a 1.00 Turbine A/R (<-- exhaust side) Anything smaller will choke that motor on the exhaust side. I think Brent said he is using a 1.13 A/R on the stock 365 ci bottom end and is making full boost at 3800 rpm, so you can imagine that a roughly 40 ci bigger engine will spool that a lot sooner.

Yeah Brent has decided to get the GT67 as the 40 was just too big and spooled up far too late even with the 3200 stall. I think the 76 than Ben is going to get will be too big even for the 408 might want to try the 40 or 42 but thats just my opinion take it for whats its worth...

Jonathan

Okay, after to talking to the guys at STS and working completely with my setup from ci, to cam, to heads, they still recommend the GT-70 with the goal boost number being 15lbs. They say it will give it to me. They are restricted based on hp and the hp for this one is 800hp. Even if I hit that, that's about 640hp to the wheels. I don't even know if I want that much or not.

Okay, after to talking to the guys at STS and working completely with my setup from ci, to cam, to heads, they still recommend the GT-70 with the goal boost number being 15lbs.  They say it will give it to me.  They are restricted based on hp and the hp for this one is 800hp.  Even if I hit that, that's about 640hp to the wheels. 

I don't even know if I want that much or not.

:uhoh::uhoh::eek::eek:

:wtf:

Is it possible that BenKey has reached his mod limit?

:jester:

.....800hp.  Even if I hit that, that's about 640hp to the wheels. 

I don't even know if I want that much or not.

:uhoh::uhoh::eek::eek:

:wtf:

Is it possible that BenKey has reached his mod limit?

:jester:

Only if I hit that much. Give me a couple of weeks though. Who knows? ;)

Archived