Kooks Headers ?!?! Anyone?

nastyhabit

Truck is an 06 ISS - 55k - 35k of which are mine.

Just had my Corsa Sport Exhaust installed and itching to grab headers.

I'm very suprised - driving around in town normalish, the truck sounds pretty much like before with stock.

Will take it out tonight for a few rips.

In my search for headers Dynatech was my choice until I saw Kooks on one of the big online vendor websites.

They definately make nice stuff - anyone have a set? How are they performing?

Cheers !

not sure if anyone has the kooks, but alot have had nothing but good to say about the american racing headers. plus you have a few choices as far as primary size. im sure if you go with any of the big names you'll be happy with the end result.

Don't waste your time attempting to find a set of Kooks for our trucks, because they do not make them. A set of their F-body headers may work, but isn't worth the hassle IMO. Seeing how Kook's is located about 25 minutes from me, I spoke with them several years ago to see of they had plans for a header kit for the GMT-800('99-'07) trucks. I even offered my truck as a gunnea pig, and was told that they had no interest in the late model GM truck market(this was 3 years ago roughly).....

Shop around, there are several popular kits out there.....

Don't waste your time attempting to find a set of Kooks for our trucks, because they do not make them. A set of their F-body headers may work, but isn't worth the hassle IMO. Seeing how Kook's is located about 25 minutes from me, I spoke with them several years ago to see of they had plans for a header kit for the GMT-800('99-'07) trucks. I even offered my truck as a gunnea pig, and was told that they had no interest in the late model GM truck market(this was 3 years ago roughly).....

Shop around, there are several popular kits out there.....

id say they made a mistake turning you and the late model truck world down, wouldnt you? haha

if you want a set of top quality headers go for ARH

id say they made a mistake turning you and the late model truck world down, wouldnt you? haha

if you want a set of top quality headers go for ARH

Thanks for the input guys.

Fireman it's funny on one of the big vendor sites I had entered my truck year etc and Kooks came up. But I later went to kooks website and only saw headers for the newer GM trucks.

So I'll be heading off now to research the ARH. They must have similiar mid pipes to the dynatech.

Playing with this truck will be much cheaper than my last project so bottom line - I just want the best products.

After running errands for the day I can say the CORSA is slightly louder, more a a rumble than the OEM. And sounds great at WOT with the tires smokin :-)

Can't wait for headers and a tune....

• 2 weeks later...

Bruiser everytime I see your truck blacked out like that I wish mine was BLUE.

Fireman Kooks website definately has 09+ listed and GM Hightech Mag mentioned them in current issue.

Whats interesting is now on the SUMMIT site they show up in results filtered for 06 Silverado 6.0 SS 2wd etc. - says 2003+

Same part numbers as the Kooks site for the 09+ app

Hmmmmmm

I'm ready to order headers this week and would like to know for sure that 03-11 are same ?

Are you dead set on getting kooks? why not ARH? but yes, ive seen people put 03-06 headers on the 07-current trucks whit no problem. You will however need to have a custom Y-pipe made to connect to the dual exhaust. I belive american racing headers have one that will be all bolt on and an option for cats.

Edited by NTMD8R_SS (see edit history)

Are you dead set on getting kooks? why not ARH? but yes, ive seen people put 03-06 headers on the 07-current trucks whit no problem. You will however need to have a custom Y-pipe made to connect to the dual exhaust. I belive american racing headers have one that will be all bolt on and an option for cats.

Not dead set on Kooks - ARH look awesome too. I like to mix it up and try something different plus Kooks brand recalls the days of my youth hanging at Waterford Speedbowl.

I'll see what my muffler shop says about that pipe I'll need made.

Bruiser everytime I see your truck blacked out like that I wish mine was BLUE.

Fireman Kooks website definately has 09+ listed and GM Hightech Mag mentioned them in current issue.

Whats interesting is now on the SUMMIT site they show up in results filtered for 06 Silverado 6.0 SS 2wd etc. - says 2003+

Same part numbers as the Kooks site for the 09+ app

Hmmmmmm

I'm ready to order headers this week and would like to know for sure that 03-11 are same ?

Kooks may claim they have something now, but they didn't 3 years ago, and gave me the runaround to boot.....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Kooks are nice headers, many of my F-Body buddies ran them and they were nice. Obviously they dont make them for our trucks, but ARH are just as nice or nicer in my opinion. And they make them specific for our trucks too. Have a look:

DSC02941.jpg

DSC02942.jpg

I ordered 1 7/8 primaries but they also have 1 3/4 as well. They dont come coated but they will have them coated for you. I had somone local coat mine.

My thoughts -

Yes, Corsa is the sh!t when you get the motor going +3500-RPM :cheers:

Kooks and ARH, the rest of the story: From what Dan (Retired99) and I were told, the present owner of ARH is the man who also founded Kooks. I won't go into the details why, but he left Kooks and started ARH so that he could return to building a superior exhaust product and pursue the kinds of customer projects he personally enjoyed participating in.

'09+ GM truck headers compared to '99-07: When GM designed the '08+ truck they made sure that the "critical dimensions" underhood were mostly unchanged - so, my Torrent E-Fan kit even though it is designed for a '99-06 truck should fit on the new GMT-900 series product because stuff like distance between motor, radiator, fenders, frame rails, etc is exactly the same or very similar between the two. SO I would not be surprised at all if headers for a 2WD GMT-800 truck also fit a 2WD GMT-900 series truck, but you will have to try it on your own first because the header company has not 'verified' the fitment. But my guess is that it is worth a try to see if they fit. My 2-cents.

Mr. P. :)

but you will have to try it on your own first because the header company has not 'verified' the fitment. But my guess is that it is worth a try to see if they fit. My 2-cents.

Why would you go through the trouble when there is a set that you know will fit such as ARH? Not trying to be biased because I own ARH's, but spending $1200+ on a set of pipes and not knowing if they are going to fit or not wouldnt be worth it to me

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)