Washing Your Truck During The Winter Months.

I figure what better place to ask this question then on the SS forum. Now I already know that you should wash your vehicle during the winter months because you do not want to leave the salt and snow on the vehicle for prolong period of time. But my question is for those of us that love to wash our vehicles by hand what do you do. I hate taking my truck to car washes that have this huge belts or whatever that are hanging down. Since I just recently bought a house I know your suppose to turn off the water to your outside spigot. If we ever finally get a day above 32 degrees, do you think it would be safe if I turn the water on to my outside spigot just to wash the cars for that day? Since I am new to this single family home ownership I was wondering what everyone else does. Specially my folks out midwest who get snow all the damn time.

Edited by 05on20's (see edit history)

well i don't drive the SS in the winter at all. but i do wash my DD sierra. around here i use the car wash. our wash's around here are just a pressure wand that you spray your own vehicle off with. but we don't use salt around here so thats a plus.

I've got a freeze proof faucet for the outside one. It's got a long rod that is in the housing and it's a ball valve (90*) and from the valve body to what's outside can drain when the faucet is closed. There's a cap that you loosen and a diaphram seals with water pressure and collapses and allows the water in the body to drain, preventing freezing and bursting.

Lemme c if I can find a link...

here ya go, and they're like $20.00

and you just keep the hose and stuff inside when you're done washing the truck....

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/HowAFaucet/HowaFaucetWorks.html

I've got a freeze proof faucet for the outside one. It's got a long rod that is in the housing and it's a ball valve (90*) and from the valve body to what's outside can drain when the faucet is closed. There's a cap that you loosen and a diaphram seals with water pressure and collapses and allows the water in the body to drain, preventing freezing and bursting.

Lemme c if I can find a link...

here ya go, and they're like $20.00

and you just keep the hose and stuff inside when you're done washing the truck....

http://www.woodfordm...aucetWorks.html

I may have to look into this when things warm up. Thanks for the info.

i try and run it through the touchless car wash in my town when I can, last winter i was really broke and would just go to the one where you spray it yourself and quickly just spray most of the salt off for free as they leave them on during the winter so they dont freeze biggrinjester.gif

If it is above 32* outside and you use your spigot, you should be fine if you shut it back off from the inside and drain it when you are done. I have done this for years with no problem at my house, no special valves needed. Look into some inexpensive foam insulating covers sold at Home Depot or Lowes that prevent drafts and insulate from the cold for extra insurance....

On a side note, if it is below freezing for an extended period of time, all I have to do is pull my truck into a bay at the FD.....we have floor drains and a hot water tap right off the hot water heater. :ninja:

I let mine drip a few days before I know I am going to wash them. Up here in Washington the days are very limited to washing vehicles. I am like you I refuse to take the SS to a auomated car wash and get it all dicked up.

Justin