STOCK BRAKES SUCK

wild2003ss

I EMAILED GM {MICHAEL GOONAN} AND HE TOLD ME THAT THERE WERE NO COMPLAINTS HELP ME OUT MY DAD AND I HATE OUR BRAKES AND WE WANT SOMETHING DONE ABOUT IT SO PLEASE EMAIL THIS GUY AND LET HIM KNOW WE WANT SOMETHING DONE TY :withstupid:

They brakes do have a different fell but the stopping distance according to motor trend is great at 121 from 60 to 0. Anyways what i have heard GM is doing somting. There was an article in my local paper saying that GM made a contrack with Bosch (not sure the spelling) and they totally redesign their braking system. Apparently they go going with better disks in the front and drum in the rear. They say on trucks and large SUVs the drum's are better.

Has anyone else heard this?

Bob

Has anyone else heard this?

Actually read this from a quoted press release at another site. One reason out of many for the drums was "better feel" and "improved braking consistancy". Then the folks on that list got into a disk brake vs. drum brake war. Go figger.... :crazy:

Anyway, my take on the reversion back to drums for the rear is that the current disk brake design is too wide-open to the elements, from junk slung on them from the front. They really get abused compared to the front disk brakes. This is ONE of the reasons why the back rotors are the ones having to be replaced, or resurfaced, typically.

Other than that, I'd rather have disk brakes on the back. On the other hand, in my case, I replaced my back rotors and pads with an aftermarket rotor/pad combo and no longer have braking inconsistancy and rotor shudder, in spite of the road debris abuse.

I have heard this a few times already and not sure what the issue is The distance the magazines are posted for 60-0 stops are 120 feet. To compare that to the BMW X5 that weighs 500 lbs less and stops in 123feet or even the Lightnind that weighs 700lbs lighter and stops in 122 feet. I'd say the brake are pretty darn good. I know they may feel different but they work. ( The 120 feet is the average over 4 different tests with different SS's. )

I agree with all here, the OEM works, but man does it feel scary. I plan first thing on getting new pads, had Bendix Ultimates on my '99 Ex and *loved* them, but they were dusty. I might consider PF pads, also. Will let you all know what I decide when I get around to it.

The stock system does have a different feel to it, but the truck will stop very well.

Get some performance pads, different fluid, and braided stainless lines to help rid the squishy pedal.

That works pretty good :thumbs:

Take the CAPS off.

Pads - take your pic. I would at least do Hawk pads. There are better and more expensive out there.

Fluid - I chose ATE Super Blue Racing fluid. Available through the internet and use of google.

Lines - Earl's hyperfirm 5-line kit works fine so far. Can't remember the part number, but a search will remedy that for you.

Archived