Efan Harnesses Burning Up

ChinoHillian

I bought stock 05 efans not too long ago and bought a wiring harness for them from blackbear and the first harness i had, it burned up and the wires melted. Then i sent it back to blackbear and they fixed the harness and sent it back to me. This time, when I was getting my transmission service by a professional company that builds race cars, the harness started to heat up again, but they shut the truck off before the harness burned up and melted. i was also told by the shop's owner that the volts on the truck started to drop below 12v. So my question is what is causing the harness to heat up so high?

Could it be my tune or possibly the fans themselves? I know it isnt the harness this time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thumb.gif

Have you upgraded to a 145amp alternator? That would explain to me why your volts are dropping low. We had a discussion on this in the radio/electronics area. I believe an 04 comes with a 105amp alt. and any late 05,06,early 07's come with a 145amp to support the e-fans.

EDIT: Here's the link, go to page 2 and chpspecial explains it, hope this helps one of your issues, good luck

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/67406-105-to-145-alternator/page__st__15

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

I bought stock 05 efans not too long ago and bought a wiring harness for them from blackbear and the first harness i had, it burned up and the wires melted. Then i sent it back to blackbear and they fixed the harness and sent it back to me. This time, when I was getting my transmission service by a professional company that builds race cars, the harness started to heat up again, but they shut the truck off before the harness burned up and melted. i was also told by the shop's owner that the volts on the truck started to drop below 12v. So my question is what is causing the harness to heat up so high?

Could it be my tune or possibly the fans themselves? I know it isnt the harness this time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thumb.gif

Well if your wires are melting then your pulling to many amps (load) across the wire. Could have a fan going bad, short in the wiring etc. If your volts was starting to drop below 12 then something is dragging it down fast. What size alternator do you have? If you do not have enough volts to run the fans that is just as bad as a short. Did they all burn up or just a certain wire. The 2 wires to the pcm (high / low) is just a ground not 12v. I sure its going to be a fan wire. Not sure what the amps are on the fans but you could find which one is doing it by using a fuse, breaker or amp meter.

Have you upgraded to a 145amp alternator? That would explain to me why your volts are dropping low. We had a discussion on this in the radio/electronics area. I believe an 04 comes with a 105amp alt. and any 05,06,early07's come with a 145amp to support the fans.

You are correct on the alt. I'm going to be doing fans to so I checked the alt on my 04 and it has a 105 amp alt. Like I said not having a good voltage is just as bad as a short. Your fans need a good clean voltage which sounds like it's not getting.

Edited by Hawkman (see edit history)

Oh no? I just ordered that harness for my 05 e-fans! Please tell me this isn't common? I have a 145 amp alternator already.

I really think the guy has a voltage problem and not a harness problem. He needs to find out what alternator he has. It will tell the amperage on the alternator. So we will wait and see what his response is. Don't hang yourself just yet. LOL

I really think the guy has a voltage problem and not a harness problem. He needs to find out what alternator he has. It will tell the amperage on the alternator. So we will wait and see what his response is. Don't hang yourself just yet. LOL

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from the Black Bear e-fan harness! Thats why i ordered one up! For sure let us know what amp alternator is in his truck?

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from the Black Bear e-fan harness! Thats why i ordered one up! For sure let us know what amp alternator is in his truck?

Electrical is funny. It could be something like a bad ground. He said when the fans are running the voltage went down to 12v. That's hard on the entire electrical system.

yeah man i have a stock 105 amp since my truck is an 2004.

looks like i have to drop some more money on the truck . . .

how much could i pick up a 145 amp for?

There not high. You can get the 145 or 160 at napa not sure of price. I'm going with the 250 amp on ebay for about 230.00. I need my amperage anyways because of my sterio system.

yeah man i have a stock 105 amp since my truck is an 2004.

looks like i have to drop some more money on the truck . . .

how much could i pick up a 145 amp for?

I got a new one from Napa A few years ago and i think i paided $160ish? I have a 2003 1500 hd and it came with 2 batteries and had a 105 amp. So when my batteries took a crap i put in a new 145 amp with the new set of batteries. So i hope im covered amp wise?

Also, might need to change out your serpentine belt for a diiferent size depending on alternator size/brand you buy.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/67489-looking-for-a-part/

Yea. Read some forums where people did and didn't change belt sizes. I figured with the 250 amp I probably will.

If the harness is getting hot it's either the fan pulling too many amps across the wiring harness or whatever is sending the current(amps) across the wiring harness. I think the drop in voltage from battery is just due to when the fans kick on and put load on the alt which can't handle the draw thus pulling battery volts down. Might have a bad ground too. Might wanna contact BB again and see what they say. Also, I've been through this before with electrical componenets. It's hit and miss, sometimes they're just defective to no ones fault and takes 2 or 3 to get a good one.

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)