Synthetic oil

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fellas, I have read that some people say it's bad to go to Mobil 1 to early. I have 1500 miles on my truck now is it too soon?

no never to early if thats what you want change it you will have no trouble

some here have changed at 500 mi. or less

the vetts come with mobil 1 from factory

:seeya:

I think most engines now have good tolerances and its not so much that you need to break in an engine the way we did years ago I maybe wrong on this. I have change my last four vehicle to synthetic oil after the first 400-500 miles it gets out any dirt from the assembly process. The AC delco Gold filters are good so are the amsoil filters and the Amsoil synthetic oil. Just today on Top Dead Center they used a thermal imaging camera on a v-twin using regular and synthetic just at Idle the temps were about 12 degrees cooler. I used the Amsoil oil in my last truck and ran 14000 mile before changing it it still looked good. I did however change my filter every 4000 miles. Amsoil says the oil is good for one year or 25000 miles but still recommends changing the oil filter at every 5-6000 miles.

I am gonna try 15w-30 Mobil 1 see if it helps my oil pressure problems, or all my oil consumption problems. Couldn't hurt to try....

I'll let you know if there is good news. Should get it changed this weekend :thumbs:

I am gonna try 15w-30 Mobil 1 see if it helps my oil pressure problems, or all my oil consumption problems. Couldn't hurt to try....

I'll let you know if there is good news. Should get it changed this weekend :thumbs:

What kind of oil pressure problems? Trying to go to a heavier oil to bring up your pressure?

Ben,

Yeah that was my plan, before I tear this thing apart again. I have 5w-30, and have had it in for a while now. And my pressure seams rather low. Start up is around 20, and when it is warmed up it gets as low as 10 sometimes. Had some hot days in upstate NY and figured I would try the 15 weight. See if it brings the pressure back up.

Also when I am horsing around I try to monitor the pressure make sure it stays up, and it doesn't want to get much above 40 :confused:

I am trying to tackle one problem at a time, because I am also having oil consumption issues (I hate to admit it but I think something is wrong). If I let the truck idle for 5-10 minutes and take off, I get a descent puff of smoke out the exhaust, I would simply assume it is loading up. Here's my question.... Is it possible that the fuel is washing the cylinders and creating a oil consumption problem when the cylinders lube back up. I know it's crazy but is it possible??

Just throwing idea's out there. :rolleyes:

Yes Ben I am still on the stock Cam, (another very hopeful upcoming mod)

Question.. What is a leak down test??

My compression I would hope is fine rebuild with possitive seal rings. But I guess with the wash it would lose some wouldn't it....

Smith,

Yeah that was my plan, before I tear this thing apart again. I have 5w-30, and have had it in for a while now. And my pressure seams rather low. Start up is around 20, and when it is warmed up it gets as low as 10 sometimes. Had some hot days in upstate NY and figured I would try the 15 weight. See if it brings the pressure back up.

The first number in 5W30 or 15w30 is the cold viscosity number, the last number is the warm Viscosicty number. so both will be the same warm only difference is when cold 5w will flow better than 15 when very cold ie. below freezing. That wont help a leak problem unless you are leaking when very cold on the floor.

Mark

Archived